Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dick Rondo  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2020 6:14:06 PM(UTC)
Dick Rondo

Groups: Registered

Question: Is there pay entitlement when transferring back into the same job series after a transfer out and transfer back in?

I had to leave my job series due to family issues (as a GS-12 step 6) and, without a break in service, transferred to a different agency to a different job series as a GS-6 step 10. I now want my old job back and I re-applied via USAJobs. Within three days they actually processed me through the application system within hours (quite impressive) and I accepted the offer as a GS-9. I asked them about the pay issue and they said:

"grade level re-promotion is at the discretion of the hiring agency. We would recommend that you discuss these options with your supervisors at your assigned duty location once you enter on duty".

Okay so what does that mean? Would I be entitled a GS-9 step 10 then a GS-11 step 10 then back to GS-12 step 6 in year three?
ji_  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2020 8:20:09 PM(UTC)
ji_

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
You have no entitlement to step 10. However, perhaps the agency, at its own discretion, may offer it to you under the Highest Previous Rate (HPR) rule?

But it might be too late -- normally, pay-setting occurs as part of the offer and acceptance process. If they offered step 1 and you accepted step 1, well, you accepted step 1. Maybe you can still raise the question before you report for duty -- once you report for duty, I think it might be too late.

Is the new position a GS-9 target 12?

Edited by user Tuesday, February 11, 2020 8:23:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added question about target grade

Dick Rondo  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2020 8:36:33 PM(UTC)
Dick Rondo

Yeah it journeymans at a 12 automatically. Its just odd how the staffing unit tells me, " you won't know until you start. Have a nice day!" That is so ridiculous. Like I would move my family 1000 miles, buy a house, etc. all on a whim and hear say. Wow I can't wait to leave again. I just want to build up more cheese before I go into my next career.
DaVinci95  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2020 5:25:47 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 71 post(s)
If you haven't accepted the final offer yet, now is the time to negotiate your step. If you wait until your EOD it will be too late. You can request pay setting based on your Highest Previous Rate, but the agency is not obligated to grant it. If their final offer is GS 9 step 1, you'll have to decide whether to accept or decline the position.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed