Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Employees: You be the Judge

Get real-life reviews of key court cases involving federal employees. Share your opinion on the outcomes of these cases, or participate in other discussions about workplace issues that may impact your job.

Be civil when debating with others in the forum. Uncivil remarks toward any other forum member is prohibited on FederalSoup and should be reported immediately.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Roadrunn3r  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2020 9:34:42 PM(UTC)
Roadrunn3r

Groups: Registered
United States

I am going through a really tough time at work due to retaliation from my current boss after I filed a complaint and won. I often wonder what I could have done differently to prevent the nightmare that is happening to me. The first red flag I noticed was during the interview. He was uncomfortable with questions about work life balance.

Question for seasoned FEDS - How do you spot poor leadership at an interview (or before you take a new job)?
Hawaiiannative  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 27, 2020 11:47:11 AM(UTC)
Hawaiiannative

United States

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 32 post(s)
You don't. And from what I have seen lately, the federal government has changed, no more nice friendly supervisors. They want Aholes.

Federal government jobs used to be nice, friendly. Not any longer.
thanks 1 user thanked Hawaiiannative for this useful post.
DroneBee on 3/1/2020(UTC)
hopie  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2020 10:39:26 AM(UTC)
hopie

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 36 post(s)
I wonder if the work life balance happening now due to virus will have any positive effect on the ahole supervisors.
Endless Summer  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2020 2:24:36 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 260 time(s) in 222 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Roadrunn3r Go to Quoted Post
I am going through a really tough time at work due to retaliation from my current boss after I filed a complaint and won. I often wonder what I could have done differently to prevent the nightmare that is happening to me. The first red flag I noticed was during the interview. He was uncomfortable with questions about work life balance.

Question for seasoned FEDS - How do you spot poor leadership at an interview (or before you take a new job)?

Well, I could send you a photo of her...

But seriously, I don't know if there's any reliable way to spot them. My recent experience highlighted the importance of documenting everything. I kept a spreadsheet with dates and notes about her behavior and, when asked, was able to forward that to HR to support my claims. That means a lot more than vague statements like "She's always yelling at me" and it shows HR that you're serious.

I also forwarded every disturbing, accusatory, conflicting, and harassing email I got from her to my private email account. She made the mistake of thinking that by copying our Director in on every email that would intimidate me. All it did was allow me a vehicle to rebut her accusations. I ain't afraid of the Reply All button.

So, document everything, insulate yourself, be an island of calm because they might try to goad you into a harsh response to use against you. Don't be afraid to involve HR or your chain of command above her.

If you are going to bump this up the chain of command you need to have some concrete things that show a failure on the sup's part. With me it was she was repeatedly attacking me for not accomplishing the elements of my PD. I was able to show that she'd never provided me with my PD and had never counseled me on my roles and responsibilities. She'd not done a Performance Plan , nor had she met any of the most basic requirements of being a supervisor.

I was blessed with having worked for some great supervisors in previous gov't jobs, so I knew what a good supervisor looked like.

I see you posted this a month ago, I hope things have improved for you.
hopie  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2020 4:30:16 PM(UTC)
hopie

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 36 post(s)
I didn't realize supervisors copied the Director on every email to intimidate employees. I guess that hints at a bad boss.

Edited by user Monday, March 23, 2020 9:56:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked hopie for this useful post.
33years_here on 3/26/2020(UTC)
Former Lee Warmer  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 8:11:19 AM(UTC)
Former Lee Warmer

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: hopie Go to Quoted Post
I didn't realize supervisors copied the Director on every email to intimidate employees. I guess that hints at a bad boss.

A new supervisor did that to me in state work. Everything was copied to her supervisor, which I knew was a very bad sign. I was fired after months of harassment with false accusations (trying to make me quit), all of which came through those emails and all of which both of them deleted before I could get copies via information request. I saved a few of the worst ones. I was naive in thinking they couldn't delete it, being state emails that technically should belong to the people not the managers.

I'm not naive anymore.
thanks 1 user thanked Former Lee Warmer for this useful post.
33years_here on 3/26/2020(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed