Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FarmGirl  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2020 5:06:58 PM(UTC)
FarmGirl

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
My "supervisor" (according to my PD, but has never actually done anything to supervise, train, mentor, assign workload, etc) has essentially been pushed off our team after multiple issues with ignoring emails and requests that are mission critical. We have had to apologize for their lack of response and clean up multiple messes. Leadership knows it's a problem, but doesn't want or like to deal with this type of admin stuff. They cycle out every year or two and just push the problem off to the next person. Something happens, it's a big deal, everyone else cleans it up, they do nothing to reprimand them and then slowly it's pushed it under the rug, until the next time and then it just repeats itself. We've had multiple conversations about reorganizing and moving them to another role and It's been agreed that this person won't ever manage or supervise again. This person is doing nothing currently and hasn't been for almost a year, but has a higher grade, because they are supposed to be supervisory. My PD specifies that I report to them, but that is not currently nor has never been the case. Can I request a desk audit on them? Can I request a revised PD since I no longer report to them? Obviously, I'd like to move up a grade since I'm basically doing their job and then some, but I'm at the top grade for my current position. I'd like to figure out what some options might be at least for getting my PD (and possibly my "supervisor's" to reflect that I don't report to them.
mallen  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2020 8:20:56 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Worry about yourself. If your working at a higher level, without actually having or needing supervision, then concentrate on that.
Endless Summer  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2020 2:45:38 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 227 time(s) in 197 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FarmGirl Go to Quoted Post
My "supervisor" (according to my PD, but has never actually done anything to supervise, train, mentor, assign workload, etc) has essentially been pushed off our team after multiple issues with ignoring emails and requests that are mission critical. We have had to apologize for their lack of response and clean up multiple messes. Leadership knows it's a problem, but doesn't want or like to deal with this type of admin stuff. They cycle out every year or two and just push the problem off to the next person. Something happens, it's a big deal, everyone else cleans it up, they do nothing to reprimand them and then slowly it's pushed it under the rug, until the next time and then it just repeats itself. We've had multiple conversations about reorganizing and moving them to another role and It's been agreed that this person won't ever manage or supervise again. This person is doing nothing currently and hasn't been for almost a year, but has a higher grade, because they are supposed to be supervisory. My PD specifies that I report to them, but that is not currently nor has never been the case. Can I request a desk audit on them? Can I request a revised PD since I no longer report to them? Obviously, I'd like to move up a grade since I'm basically doing their job and then some, but I'm at the top grade for my current position. I'd like to figure out what some options might be at least for getting my PD (and possibly my "supervisor's" to reflect that I don't report to them.

In the situation you are describing, you would request a desk audit for yourself. I don't know about requesting one for your supervisor but I'd assume it wouldn't end well.

Just be aware that a desk audit may not have the results you anticpate.
DaVinci95  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2020 5:37:16 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 80 time(s) in 75 post(s)
A desk audit reviews the responsibilities and duties of the position, not the performance of the individual in that position. Even if you could request a desk audit on him, it wouldn't do any good. If you are determined to stir the pot you'd probably have a better chance by contacting your IG. If he's truly not performing the duties of his position but management is still giving him acceptable performance reviews, that should qualify as fraud, waste, and abuse.
thanks 1 user thanked DaVinci95 for this useful post.
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day on 2/14/2020(UTC)
FarmGirl  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2020 6:14:33 PM(UTC)
FarmGirl

United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Can I simply ask to have my PD updated, to reflect that this person/position isn't actually my supervisor anymore? It's been made very clear that no one will ever report to them again. They sorted of landed in this position out of luck and because they happened to have a PhD but no managerial experience and only ever really supervised (on paper, not in actual duties or effort) myself and one other person, who didn't even last 6 months. I don't really want a desk audit for myself at this point in time. I'm valued, I've been told that on multiple occasions and I am fairly confident that in another year or two I will be able to make a good case to be moved up a grade through a new position or new role based on my work and contributions to the unit. I've already discussed my goals and mutual expectations around that with leadership. Does changing the wording on who I report to (it's fairly specific on my PD, which is their mistake) require an audit, or can I just get that part changed?
DaVinci95  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2020 7:09:54 PM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 80 time(s) in 75 post(s)
No, updating the PD doesn't require an audit. I don't know what you expect changing the supervisor will accomplish since you already don't report to him.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed