Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Workers' Compensation

The Office of Workers' Compensation Programs administers four major disability compensation programs which provide wage replacement benefits, medical treatment, vocational rehabilitation and other benefits to certain workers or their dependents who experience work-related injury or occupational disease.

Here is a forum for members to share and exchange experiences regarding to workers' compensation related issues.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cutie LaSalle  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2020 6:47:44 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I have been on the query system for the OWCP looking at my old cases. (Passing time on my new case). Anyway..I can pull up every case according to the case number except for my case that I had in 1997. Does anyone know where I can find the information? (CA1-CA7's, condition information, etc.) I would ask my claim examiner but, I think it would delay my new case ). Any suggestions?
OBE17  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2020 3:15:24 AM(UTC)
OBE17

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm sorry that I can't shed any light on the subject but I'd love to hear from a fellow IW with experience if for no other reason than it's "someone to talk to." These are very anxious times for a person and someone to talk to would be a breath of fresh air.
I'd be interested to know, especially in light of your having had several cases going, if you've had any help in the form of an "Advocate" or goffubid a LAWYER! lol

In my own instance it has been one "fight" in 36 years on the Periodic Roles (amazing as that sounds)I was summoned to my first SECOP (at least the first since a half dozen of them in the first few months after my injury)and I have struggled to make sense of it.
Cutie LaSalle  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2020 10:03:29 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: OBE17 Go to Quoted Post
I'm sorry that I can't shed any light on the subject but I'd love to hear from a fellow IW with experience if for no other reason than it's "someone to talk to." These are very anxious times for a person and someone to talk to would be a breath of fresh air.
I'd be interested to know, especially in light of your having had several cases going, if you've had any help in the form of an "Advocate" or goffubid a LAWYER! lol

In my own instance it has been one "fight" in 36 years on the Periodic Roles (amazing as that sounds)I was summoned to my first SECOP (at least the first since a half dozen of them in the first few months after my injury)and I have struggled to make sense of it.

I have a therapist that I talk to every other week. LOL!! It is best to have a professional who can help you in this cycle of life. As far as lawyer.....EXPENSIVE!!!! Thank GOD that I also have a HIDDEN ADVOCATE helping me through! I am waiting to see which direction we take.
edalder  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 26, 2020 8:44:06 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 192 time(s) in 167 post(s)
Your old case predates the extensive computerization that has occurred within OWCP over the past 20+ years. If the case has not been active, that paper file was probably retired to a Federal Records Center years ago.

If you need to reactivate this case for some reason, OWCP likely could retrieve it and load it into their system. But, if you are merely "curious", I guess I would ask myself whether doing this one really is something that I need to do.
Kivi
OBE17  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 27, 2020 9:07:10 AM(UTC)
OBE17

United States

Hi edalder:

In my case I have an inter-office memo in the form of a reply to my CE's request that a thorough search for my records be executed and his reply was this:

"Dear _____,

An office-wide search was done for the ________folder and it was not found.
IFECs was checked and it was not retired. No other function there had any leads on it.
Signed _______"

Now, in my case this file constitutes twenty years of paper files.

I have requested and received electronically stored docs since 2003. Among those files were some "runs" as they are called, to my benefit totals conducted in 2011, 2012, and 2016. They are the PAYMENT PLATES that include CPI (Consumer Price Index) data and they have proved invaluable. Curiously, they are "redacted" (for lack of a better word) to show Item #2 and Item $3 of the Shadrick Formula as zeroes. Apparently, in an effort to leave the IW as dumb as you found him/her. Otherwise, why not leave them alone as run and not double-back and change those Items to "$0.00"

It's a simple enough chore, however, to use the values still shown on the "plates" and the IW's monthly statement of benefits, to "reverse-engineer" (if you will) the equations, and when the final numbers agree with the shown quantities (the results) we have our unknown values. What they show me, which may be a reason for rolling them back to zero, is the amounts I was being charged with making because, curiously, they are much higher than any wages I've ever earned in any of the full-time jobs I've had while on LWEC.

Someone said to me "be careful what you wish for" because an audit could devulge an overpayment which you would then be saddled with at any time in your case history. Ironically, the reverse is the case. Amounts I was making didn't seem to affect my monthly benefit because the amount they were "charging" me as making each week was much higher than what I was actually making. Curious!
edalder  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 2, 2020 2:19:30 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 192 time(s) in 167 post(s)
IFCS is the computerized system in question. If the case was retired before IFCS existed it will not be in that system. Lots of younger CE's don't know this one.

I believe someone in OWCP has to consult some index cards to determine when the case was retired, and what box it would be in at the Federal Records Center.

The other possibility is that the case was considered to be a no lost time case (whether true or not). I do believe those may get destroyed after a certain number of years. But, if you received any compensation wage loss benefits on that case, then it likely is somewhere.
Kivi
OBE17  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2020 8:06:43 AM(UTC)
OBE17

United States

Thanx for the reply edalder:

Well, I'll say one thing, I'm not afraid to look at it. (my complete case history, that is)

Someone said "they could uncover an overpayment" (allowing that I've been working all these years and merely receiving LWEC)

Those payment plates are telling. I wrote and asked for an accounting. They're so worried that I may have been "cheating" them when my evidence shows they MAY have been cheating me! This institution was established to protect federal workers. You'd never know if from the dirty tricks they pull! I can barely walk and they pay some charlatan doctor slash lawyer to say I can work a 40-hour-week!

They could have given me a suitable job all those years ago. They chose to kick me out into the street! Now, they wanna renege on the deal.

Follow me on these threads. I'll let ya know what happens.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed