Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stangroush  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2020 3:48:40 AM(UTC)
stangroush

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have 10 years in the federal government and this October will be my 3rd year in my new agency.

Long story short: I like the agency I'm in but I'm wanting to escape my current office. Supervisors told me they would promote me to GS-11 after one year, but they are pulling my strings (won't get into details). Development plan they have me on, I wouldn't come close to getting to GS-11 until 2021. Previous two people who had my position, I learned they did the same thing to them. I have to get out of here, as it's not a good environment.

The city I'm currently in I do not plan on being long term anyway, so I'm considering telling them in a polite way that I'm wanting to relocate to other cities, so I can settle down long term. My logic about telling them I want to move to another city is so that when I start interviewing and future supervisors call my current ones, it won't catch them as a surprise. Then again, I do not know how they will react if I tell them I'm looking for other positions/cities.

Tell supervisors I'm looking to move to other cities or just wait until I get a firm offer in the future and then tell them?
DaVinci95  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2020 4:41:30 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 83 time(s) in 78 post(s)
I would wait until you get an interview request. No point in stirring the pot unless you think it will spur them into promoting you to GS-11 earlier.
djp  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2020 5:24:39 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 155 time(s) in 152 post(s)
No reason to tell them.

You get an offer elsewhere...thry may counter to keep you.

Another thing...with the virus going on there likely will be somewhat of a hiring freeze.
FrankJr  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 14, 2020 8:07:14 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 114 post(s)
Originally Posted by: stangroush Go to Quoted Post
I have 10 years in the federal government and this October will be my 3rd year in my new agency.

Long story short: I like the agency I'm in but I'm wanting to escape my current office. Supervisors told me they would promote me to GS-11 after one year, but they are pulling my strings (won't get into details). Development plan they have me on, I wouldn't come close to getting to GS-11 until 2021. Previous two people who had my position, I learned they did the same thing to them. I have to get out of here, as it's not a good environment.

The city I'm currently in I do not plan on being long term anyway, so I'm considering telling them in a polite way that I'm wanting to relocate to other cities, so I can settle down long term. My logic about telling them I want to move to another city is so that when I start interviewing and future supervisors call my current ones, it won't catch them as a surprise. Then again, I do not know how they will react if I tell them I'm looking for other positions/cities.

Tell supervisors I'm looking to move to other cities or just wait until I get a firm offer in the future and then tell them?

No good motive to proceed one way or another until final job offer and the start date. The last few interviews were a complete surprise to the current management. The time from final job offer to start date could be two weeks or two years. Half of the people in the current work group start the application process after a few months. The job isn't as described either in the job description or the interview. Not out of the ordinary for management to lie.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed