Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bonnejournee  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 14, 2020 4:30:23 PM(UTC)
bonnejournee

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello everyone,

I’m really desperate to get out of my current position. My SO has accepted a position in a new state and in an effort to avoid paying two rents, I need to move (and secure employment) in that city ASAP.

My question is, does anyone know if it’s possible to “transfer” between regional offices within the same agency? I’m aware of the usual routes of finding a new job but I didn’t know if there was a backdoor somewhere.

Thank you all.
Endless Summer  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 14, 2020 4:39:38 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 249 time(s) in 214 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bonnejournee Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone,

I’m really desperate to get out of my current position. My SO has accepted a position in a new state and in an effort to avoid paying two rents, I need to move (and secure employment) in that city ASAP.

My question is, does anyone know if it’s possible to “transfer” between regional offices within the same agency? I’m aware of the usual routes of finding a new job but I didn’t know if there was a backdoor somewhere.

Thank you all.

I think it's going to depend a lot on your agency. I worked for one agency that made it very easy under the circumstances you describe. Does your agency post openings internally? What about approaching your supervisor and asking about the possibility of transferring?

You might have to offer some assurances that you are not doing this to get a higher locality pay for a low cost area. Talk it over with your sup.

Best wishes
thanks 1 user thanked Endless Summer for this useful post.
bonnejournee on 3/14/2020(UTC)
bonnejournee  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 14, 2020 6:00:40 PM(UTC)
bonnejournee

United States

Originally Posted by: Endless Summer Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone,

Thank you all.

I think it's going to depend a lot on your agency. I worked for one agency that made it very easy under the circumstances you describe. Does your agency post openings internally? What about approaching your supervisor and asking about the possibility of transferring?

You might have to offer some assurances that you are not doing this to get a higher locality pay for a low cost area. Talk it over with your sup.

Best wishes

Thank you for your response. My agency does post jobs internally but unfortunately I haven’t had any luck with those. I have yet to approach my supervisor about my predicament. I wanted to exhaust all other options first since I currently have a large workload which will certainly leave some people in a bind.
Endless Summer  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 14, 2020 6:45:16 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 249 time(s) in 214 post(s)
I wanted to exhaust all other options first since I currently have a large workload which will certainly leave some people in a bind.

That might work in your favor. If your current agency has an office in the place you want to go, how about suggesting that you keep your current position and role but do it from that location. It wasn't unheard of in my previous agency.

With Skype, video conferencing, email, VPN's and phones you can be just as reachable and functional from a remote location. Put a presentation together outlining everything and addressing any concerns you think your agency may have. It can't hurt to ask.
djp  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 15, 2020 1:24:15 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 155 time(s) in 152 post(s)
Yes. It can be done.

It depends on agency and supervisor and the agency system capacilities for you to work from a regional office.

Edited by user Sunday, March 15, 2020 1:27:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed