Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Inside the News

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current federal employee related news topics. This forum is for U.S. federal government news topics only -- specifically, news that directly affects federal employees, their jobs, pay, benefits or other workplace issues.

Please refrain from posting topics on general current events, U.S. or world politics, etc. FederalSoup is a FREE forum site dedicated to serving the needs of federal employees, so keeping forum topics focused to those readers and members here is what makes this community valuable. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Indecisive  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2020 4:03:04 PM(UTC)
Indecisive

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Does anyone have any guidance or information on what the qualifying exemptions for a hardship waiver are to allow for a civilian to go ahead and PCS?

My EOD date is within the 25-days out, and they will not issue my orders but I have already given notice at my current duty station and signed a lease for my new duty station. I have reached out to CPAC but have not heard back yet. I know they are working through the hundreds to thousands of people this affects, so not hearing anything yet might be a good thing.
FS0201  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2020 6:06:52 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 288 time(s) in 252 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Indecisive Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone have any guidance or information on what the qualifying exemptions for a hardship waiver are to allow for a civilian to go ahead and PCS?

My EOD date is within the 25-days out, and they will not issue my orders but I have already given notice at my current duty station and signed a lease for my new duty station. I have reached out to CPAC but have not heard back yet. I know they are working through the hundreds to thousands of people this affects, so not hearing anything yet might be a good thing.

Did you see this FAQ? Unfortunately, it doesn’t define the type of extreme hardship.

https://media.defense.go..._TRAVEL_RESTRICTIONS.PDF

Quote:
Q3. Who does the domestic travel restriction apply to?
A3. All DoD service members and civilians, and their family members will stop all official travel – such as Permanent Change of Station or Temporary Duty – through May 11. Exceptions may be given for compelling cases where the travel is: (1) determined to be mission essential; (2) necessary for humanitarian reasons; or (3) warranted due to extreme hardship.

Quote:

Q30. Who is the waiver authority for travel exceptions?
A30. Approval authority for these exceptions belongs to the combatant commander for those assigned to combatant commands. The Chairman may approve exceptions for the Joint Staff. The Secretary of the Military Department concerned and the Chief Management Officer, in the case of Defense Field Activities and Field Agencies, retain the authority for all other individuals. They may delegate the authority to no lower than the first general officer, flag officer, or member of the Senior Executive Service in the traveler’s chain of command or supervision.

The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
FatHappyCat  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2020 10:04:54 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 93 post(s)
It's whatever the first flag officer in your chain of command decides. Getting orders if you have an exception is actually faster than normal because there currently is very few people actually PCSing; mainly those retiring.
Indecisive  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2020 4:51:18 PM(UTC)
Indecisive

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Thank you very much for responding. I thought I had email alerts set up, but I guess not. Sorry for missing your posts, it has been a busy couple of days.

I think in the days since you both posted it has been rescinded that any ETPs can only be approved by the Deputy Assistant SA or the Vice Chief of Staff.

With my lease here expiring on 6 April and me already signing a lease at my new location, I am going to try to reach out to my onboarding CPAC and ask about an exception to go ahead and ship my HHGs, moving my star. I can stay with a friend for the weeks to come, so I do not need housing arrangements. My primary concern is being out $5000 in double rent and utilities over the coming 2-3 months. Makes my hands sweat just thinking about it. If not my onboarding CPAC, I need to continue to stress my situation here locally and request an exemption.
GWPDA  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2020 6:05:26 PM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 510 time(s) in 427 post(s)
My HR has decided that the promise of relocation, certified on my original job announcement, was just pretend. They've decided that they don't have to abide by the promise. It's not as tho I didn't expect this from them - they are the same people who without any authorisation decided that I meant to pay state tax to one state rather than another and changed the deductions accordingly - but I have begun negotiations with a local mover to return to the mainland without any support other than my own pocketbook. My point here is simply this - until you have orders in your hand, and until those orders are carried out, do not depend on them. You can't.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed