Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Office of Personnel Management

OPM is responsible for several broad categories such as employee recruitment and retention and oversees the overall federal workforce including managing, job announcement postings at USAJOBS.gov and setting governmentwide policies on hiring procedures.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
army medic  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2020 6:10:22 AM(UTC)
army medic

Groups: Registered
United States

So long story short. I am looking at applying to a GS-12 position under the 30% or more Disabled Veteran Appointment Authority which allows me to apply but I must meet the basic requirements.
I am currently an employee with 14 years of experience in the government sector. I took a position at the GS-11 level in November.
If the position is posted Nationwide Internal to Agency can I apply under this hiring authority considering I have not held my 11 for 52 weeks? The hiring authority only states that I must meet the basic qualifications and that is :
You must have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and complexity to the next lower grade level in federal service.
It does not state anywhere that I must meet a TIG (Time in grade)
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2020 7:22:09 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1036 time(s) in 822 post(s)
Originally Posted by: army medic Go to Quoted Post
So long story short. I am looking at applying to a GS-12 position under the 30% or more Disabled Veteran Appointment Authority which allows me to apply but I must meet the basic requirements.
I am currently an employee with 14 years of experience in the government sector. I took a position at the GS-11 level in November.
If the position is posted Nationwide Internal to Agency can I apply under this hiring authority considering I have not held my 11 for 52 weeks? The hiring authority only states that I must meet the basic qualifications and that is :
You must have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and complexity to the next lower grade level in federal service.
It does not state anywhere that I must meet a TIG (Time in grade)
While you are correct, you do need to show a year or experience at the GS11 level...the more difficult aspect is doing so without the year as a GS11. Doable, but your resume needs to be very clearly written to demonstrate that.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
army medic  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2020 7:28:50 AM(UTC)
army medic

United States

Thank you for your response. So although I was a GL-09 for a majority of 6 years, I was in an acting capacity as a GS-12 for more than a year (although not officially documented-but have emails stating I was in an acting capacity), plus additional comprehensive experience in other paid and unpaid positions as long as I relay at least a year experience?

What if in the announcement it says this:
Time-in-Grade: Federal employees must meet time-in-grade requirements for consideration. You must meet all qualification requirements upon the closing date of this announcement.

Does this still apply if applying under the Special Hiring Authority?

Edited by user Thursday, March 19, 2020 8:17:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HR Bubba  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2020 8:42:20 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 243 time(s) in 197 post(s)
Does the announcement say they are accepting/considering applications from 30% Disabled?
army medic  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2020 8:47:28 AM(UTC)
army medic

United States

No it states internal to the agency, but my understanding is that it doesn't have to state that and anyone could apply under one of these authorities.
HR Bubba  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2020 1:53:12 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 243 time(s) in 197 post(s)
That's incorrect. In all likelihood you will receive a notification that you were not within the area of consideration and you will not be referred. Non-competitive hiring authorities (Schedule A, 30%, VRA, etc..) do not include the provision stating that they provide "status" to apply to internal announcements. An example of a hiring authority that does include the provision is VEOA; this authority treats eligible veterans as if the are "status" candidates which allows them to be considered as if they are current federal employees. But, agencies are only required to include VEOA eligibles in their area of consideration if they are recruiting from outside of their own workforce. So even in this instance where it says "internal to an agency" they are not required to accept applications from VEOA eligible candidates.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
frankgonzalez on 3/20/2020(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed