Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bobbob1  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2020 6:06:58 PM(UTC)
bobbob1

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I hate being inside. I know carrying is a lot more physical I need to be outside on my own. Not sure how much longer I can take it.

Anyway, a couple questions. Since I'm an FTR, do I need to go back to being a CCA? Keep in mind my city does not have PTFs anymore. I know I'll lose my seniority, but I only have 16 months so I don't care. I'm mainly worried about redoing probation. Some managers in my city kinda don't like me.
Roger.D  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2020 6:56:20 PM(UTC)
Roger.D

United States

Was thanked: 841 time(s) in 661 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bobbob1 Go to Quoted Post
I hate being inside. I know carrying is a lot more physical I need to be outside on my own. Not sure how much longer I can take it.

Anyway, a couple questions. Since I'm an FTR, do I need to go back to being a CCA? Keep in mind my city does not have PTFs anymore. I know I'll lose my seniority, but I only have 16 months so I don't care. I'm mainly worried about redoing probation. Some managers in my city kinda don't like me.

https://forum.federalsou...s&t=66377#post751954
Your NBA  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2020 7:24:50 PM(UTC)
Your NBA

Was thanked: 1369 time(s) in 945 post(s)
If managers don't like you, I would ponder on how miserable they can make you as a clerk or as a carrier. I would guess it might vary by area, but in my experience (which is considerable as clerk/mgr/carrier) I would lean to being more miserable as a carrier.

While it is true as a clerk you have to be in the same building as managers, I also have observed that managers treat clerks better than carriers. Some won't be harsh with the people they have to be near, just like they will be big and bold when screaming at carriers on the phone and then wilt when they are in their presence.

Also, you may have more risks to being harassed/fired as a carrier. From my experience, clerks can get away with being very slow or unproductive. Carriers joke about clerks and janitors always getting praised no matter what. Then you have the risk of a vehicle accident. One coworker was forced to move from clerk to carrier. Despite being forced to do a job she never would have chosen, they rode her mercilessly. I blame that for the accident(s) she had and which got her fired.

If you do decide to be a carrier, never be distracted by mgmt attacks while driving. Focus 100% on driving while doing so.

All that said, I have known many carriers who say they could not stand to be inside, especially due to having to tolerate the physical presence of mgrs.
bobbob1  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2020 7:33:19 PM(UTC)
bobbob1

United States

I'm fine with management threats. The carrier supervisors at my office are actually pretty cool, too. My problem is just being inside with management and customers.
Your NBA  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2020 7:36:06 PM(UTC)
Your NBA

I doubt the grass is as green as it may appear. I have known several clerks who were forced to be carriers. It did not go well for any of them physically. Two had serious work comp injuries/surgeries, resulting in one of them getting a disability retirement. Another, the one I thought would handle it the best (based upon my observation of her diligence as a clerk), said she was crying herself to sleep every night. Fortunately for her, she was the senior clerk of the bunch and was the very first to return to her chosen craft. A dog gave her souvenir stitches on her last day as a carrier. She told me she would quit before she would ever be a carrier again.

If you are ready to quit as a clerk, I guess there would be no reason to not try being a carrier. But I would first try to find a better coping mechanism if possible.
Southernclerk  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 1:50:05 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I think it is good that you recognize you are not an "inside" person. I hope that is it and not just a personality issue with PM and other clerks (then maybe switching craft is not the solution)

I'm a clerk and have filled in for carriers (we have HCR's) a few times to help them out. I DO NOT LIKE it and LOVE being a clerk.
So certainly if you feel this is the right move for you, then you should do it. Some people don't listen to their heart and then years pass and the move is harder.

I have no words of wisdom or knowledge in the transition. Good luck to you
Wicked cool guy  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 2:13:01 AM(UTC)
Wicked cool guy

United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 18 post(s)
You would maintain your regular status, and get paid closest carrier step without going down in salary, also no new probationary policy. So it depends on which craft you want to move forward with.
Wicked cool guy  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 2:14:42 AM(UTC)
Wicked cool guy

United States

Also OP....do you work near a plant? I'd do the level 6/7 trick to boost your salary before moving on!
Your NBA  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 3:44:28 AM(UTC)
Your NBA

Also, carrier job depends on location. Some are mostly curbside, which is an entirely different job than park and loop. In my office, you would be hoofing it for most of your career. Personally, I like park and loop. However, the carriers who are doing curbside are not risking as much damage to their lower body. Talk to carriers who will be honest with you.
bobbob1  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 6:54:32 AM(UTC)
bobbob1

United States

Thanks for the information. There are a couple open routes in my office (55 city routes). I've mentioned it to a few of them and only one told me not to do it. To be fair his body is in bad shape from the job. As a clerk I'm on my feet all day anyway. I like to joke that the carriers actually sit down a lot more than I do. I'm going to confirm with some people that I don't need to redo probation and if I don't and I think I'll go for it. I called my local NALC office and the woman said I'd be a CCA again. That didn't sound right, which is why I posted here.
bobbob1  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 6:56:09 AM(UTC)
bobbob1

United States

I do work near a plant. What's the 6/7 trick? Become a level 7 and then switch crafts?
Wicked cool guy  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 9:51:03 AM(UTC)
Wicked cool guy

United States

I do work near a plant. What's the 6/7 trick? Become a level 7 and then switch crafts?

What I did was simply keep bidding back and forth between level 6 and 7 jobs for about a year to get to top step. After you max out, then switch to carrier.
bobbob1  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 10:04:12 AM(UTC)
bobbob1

United States

I asked my manager about it and he just said to go through ereassign. I mentioned the letter of intent and he didnt know what I was talking about
Roger.D  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 10:15:01 AM(UTC)
Roger.D

United States

Was thanked: 841 time(s) in 661 post(s)
I asked my manager about it and he just said to go through ereassign. I mentioned the letter of intent and he didnt know what I was talking about

According to the link I posted, you can not do a craft change with ereassign.

Unless things have changed.
postalvet  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 11:50:27 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2953 time(s) in 2344 post(s)

like above states ereassign is not for in office craft changes.

is the office you work at stand alone? or attached to another office?

do you have a postmaster on site?

write a letter to the postmaster and a copy to the district manager requesting a change of craft. make it contingent on you staying career.
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
bobbob1  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 12:19:20 PM(UTC)
bobbob1

United States

I'm in a city that has something like 15 offices and the postmaster hangs out at one of the bigger ones.
postalvet  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 12:42:41 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 2953 time(s) in 2344 post(s)
I'm in a city that has something like 15 offices and the postmaster hangs out at one of the bigger ones.

ok, do not listen to your station manager, they only care about their mpoo
Postal employee (retired) 38 yrs who helps even if some do not believe me! I was a Steward, officer & trouble maker. Just Sayin'
bobbob1  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 2:10:00 PM(UTC)
bobbob1

United States

I happen to have their cellphone number
mailman617  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 2:15:27 PM(UTC)
mailman617

United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I bobbob1 would.like to transfer to the letter carrier craft.

The manager will send it to the appropriate person in hr . Or he doesn't know go call someone in hr
bobbob1  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2020 3:56:14 PM(UTC)
bobbob1

United States

I'll go through hr.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed