Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Baron2  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 31, 2020 8:25:07 AM(UTC)
Baron2

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello-

I wanted to provide an update. I use to post here under a different name a couple years ago. I couldn't remembered my old password, so I made a this new account. This place is a wealth of knowledge along with helpful -- and not so helpful -- advice. Is vet_4_life and PostalTE still here? lol

I was pigeonholed in State government making peanuts. I strongly wanted to become a Fed for the longest time after going through a federal audit in a prior job. I wanted to see the bigger picture. Finally found a GS11 term position for one year that was closely related to what I did at the state level. Found another term for a few more years. Eventually found a permanent GS12 position and worked my way up from there. I became a supervisory GS14 at the age of 34.

It's been a long process, but with a lot of hard work and dedication it's possible!

Talk to current and former Feds. Let them inspire you on figuring out what it is that you want. Set your goals. Don't be afraid to ask questions and research how people were able to get to their current positions, then chart your own path towards meeting those goals.

If someone else has done it, it's possible.

thanks 1 user thanked Baron2 for this useful post.
govwerker on 3/31/2020(UTC)
djp  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2020 8:37:03 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 147 post(s)
Realty check needed...

Getting to a 14 will be very difficult unless you go to DC. In DC Ir can be done but vert hard

In the field if someone gets a 13 or 14 at a young age lime 35 they will likely be there for the next 20 years

Advance quickly usuall involves you getting there like this

Step 1. Get a ladder job to 12 and work way up
Step 2 get a 13
Step 3 get a 14

In dc you have 13/14 ladder jobs

On top if that you need luck such as being in an office where senior leadership is about to retires do there are steps to get there. My first job was a 9/11/12 . Leads were 13/14, then director was 15. The director and leads were all near retirement age within 5 yrs.

Another factor in large agencies to get 14 is who you know or who your boss knows or how well respected your boss is. If you have a well respected buss that has allowed you to network elsewhere inside an agency where you can reach out and work with different offices and get known can help too.

9 times out of 10. A 14 opens up someone has an inside track.

ninem  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2020 5:12:45 AM(UTC)
ninem

United States

No doubt it's easier to get 14 in the DC area but I had a 13/14 ladder offer with the EPA in North Carolina and they have had multiple such openings
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 12, 2020 5:45:01 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 56 post(s)
My promotion for GS 13 is coming in June and the paperwork is already started up the proper chains. I feel like I’m actually in the back of the pack by getting my 13 at such a late age. I’ve been with the govt for 10 years and was in a position that only had promotion potential to 9 for a long time. I finally realized I needed to change agencies if I wanted any chance to even get to an 11. (I’m now back at my old agency ha). I came back to my old agency at the same grade I left as but I did receive pay retention up to step 10 and the 25% leap on top of salary which wasn’t so bad (I work 50 hours a week instead of 40).

With that being said, the only way to become a 14 in my job is through management alone. The management job is the stepping stone to 15 and executive level but it does take a LONG time and you either have to go to DC for a period of time or be willing to move around to different locations wherever the job takes you.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed