Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Commerce

The Commerce Department's mission is to help make American businesses more innovative at home and more competitive abroad. It is comprised of 12 different agencies responsible for everything from weather forecasts to patent protection. They include:

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HappyRappyDoggie  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2020 8:04:59 AM(UTC)
HappyRappyDoggie

Groups: Registered

Hello! I come from a background in industry where salary negotiations are common during the hiring process, but unsure if this is the case with federal jobs? For example, if I was hired for a certain GS grade and was offered a position at the lower end of the pay scale for that GS grade, is it reasonable to counter the offer with a salary that is higher (but does not exceed) on the GS pay scale?
FS0201  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2020 8:20:46 AM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 294 time(s) in 258 post(s)
Originally Posted by: HappyRappyDoggie Go to Quoted Post
Hello! I come from a background in industry where salary negotiations are common during the hiring process, but unsure if this is the case with federal jobs? For example, if I was hired for a certain GS grade and was offered a position at the lower end of the pay scale for that GS grade, is it reasonable to counter the offer with a salary that is higher (but does not exceed) on the GS pay scale?

There are a number of threads focused on negotiating initial salary(step), as well as other things that can be negotiated for a new hire. It is common, but also depends on a number of factors. The series and grade are important to consider, as while you may have X years of experience, if you are applying for a position that is lower graded, regularly recruited for, or where there are a significant number of applicants, your experience may not matter as much. Some managers, or HR provided guidance, are less inclined to negotiator, and would rather move in to the next candidate. Typically the negations would be based on the applicants current on-federal salary.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
smithandjones  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2020 6:17:21 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I agree it is common. But in my experience it is not easy. It is not so much a back and forth. It is asking them to reconsider some factors. Prior salary is sometimes persuasive. Competing offers? For sure throw it out there. But if you are not currently working it is a harder sell. They either reconsider or they don’t. It is worth trying but then becomes take it or leave it quickly. One thing many people don’t know about is to ask for increased leave time - that can be easier for them to grant. Ask for 8 hours per pay period.

Edited by user Saturday, April 18, 2020 6:19:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

GWPDA  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2020 9:18:04 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 528 time(s) in 439 post(s)
An increase in benefits must be based on something other than previous or current salary or experience. If you are prior military, adjustments can be made. However, since 8 hours a pay period is a benefit normally earned after 15 years employment it is unlikely that will be allowed. A point to note however is that unlike the majority of industries, federal leave is not one single 'pool' of time. There are separate allocations of designated holidays, annual leave and sick leave, with the first and last being fixed. Annual leave starts at 4 hours per pay period 1-3 years, 6 hours, 3-15 years, and 8 after 15 years.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed