Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Relocating

Are you considering relocating your federal career - either by your choice or by Uncle Sam? There are practical issues and concerns to think about when deciding whether or not to relocate. Others have done it while still others have not. This forum will allow for all to offer their insight, post their questions, and help each other out.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mallen  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2020 9:22:48 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Its official. Im moving to DC. Ill be working about a mile from the White House. I can imagine the traffic disruptions will be epic. Im looking for a place to rent and trying to keep the price reasonable, at least relatively speaking. Where would be good to live, and where would be a very bad idea to live.
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2020 10:14:36 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1102 time(s) in 875 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mallen Go to Quoted Post
Its official. Im moving to DC. Ill be working about a mile from the White House. I can imagine the traffic disruptions will be epic. Im looking for a place to rent and trying to keep the price reasonable, at least relatively speaking. Where would be good to live, and where would be a very bad idea to live.
Depends on how much you want to spend on rent and what you are looking for/need. Want a studio apt and willing to spend $3k a month? Doable...maybe even cheaper. Need a 4 bedroom place and parking for under $2500 a month? You are headed out of the District and will have a commute...possibly a long one. Can you telework? May make living further out bearable of you only head into the office 2-3 days a week. Have kids and need a good school district and private school may be out of your price range? Welcome to commuter-life!

JB Andrews has privatized housing, so civil servants can rent the older homes if they have availability. (PM me if you have questions).

A mile from the WH could be ok or terrible depending on in which direction. I work (under normal conditions!), about 2.5 miles SE of the WH. My commute isn't too bad, but I start work at 06:30 and leave at 16:00...and I live south of DC. If you find a place near a metro station, you can avoid some commute issues...but it does mean tight packed metro trains and buses.

Parking is also a big consideration. It can get expensive in DC unless your agency subsidizes the cost (ie in my case, my agency subsidizes our parking so it costs us $150 every quarter or we can get a metro subsidy- one or the other. In comparison, it is $16 a day across the street or about $250 a month.)

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
smithandjones  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2020 12:15:50 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
It is going to get interesting if students do not come back. If you can delay coming for about a month you might find some great deals. I would negotiate hard with landlords even now - people are moving out every day.

Yes, it all depends on what you are willing to do for a commute and what type of neighborhood you want to live in. I hate commuting and walk a mile to work everyday. But I pay a premium for a 800 sq ft 1 bedroom for that piece of mind near tons of nightlife and restaurants (not that that matter now lol!).

Your first decision is how much commute do you want and how you want to commute. DC? Virginia? Maryland? Consider taxes as well.

Everybody wants to be near metro so you’ll pay 20% more for that. Willing to commute from 40 miles away in Maryland or Virginia? I hope you can telework a lot and find parking.
someoldguy  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2020 1:29:54 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 947 time(s) in 796 post(s)
Originally Posted by: smithandjones Go to Quoted Post
Willing to commute from 40 miles away in Maryland or Virginia? I hope you can telework a lot and find parking.
Thought I would point out that a 40 mile commute would most likely take at least 90 minutes each way.

I knew a couple guys who signed up for commuter buses. They didn't save any time or money but they said it was worth it to avoid the stress of traffic.

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
djp  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2020 7:15:58 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 168 time(s) in 165 post(s)

Where exactly?

There are metro station vlosures due to inactivity of the station with Covid and people working from home

This summer oranger and silver after Vallston will be clised for track work planned pre Covid.

What GS level will you be?

Given furloughs snd layoffs from Covid apartment are in a movement freeze right now. Peop,e unemployed can’t be evicted or move out plans changed because of this so there could be issues of availability of apartments.

There is fpublic transportation subsidy program you get money for on top if pay that is not income. I get around $175 a month that covers my subway/ bus costs to get to work and come home from work.

Right now many parking garages are closed.

mallen  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2020 8:04:42 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 41 post(s)
Its a GS9 with a career ladder to 12. They are starting me at step 10 to match (as best they can) my previous federal pay as an 11 step 5. The work location is about a mile and a half due south of the Whitehouse.
DaVinci95  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2020 12:26:05 PM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 86 post(s)
If you’re looking to live in DC, check out the area around Nationals Park. I used to work at the Navy Yard and if I didn’t have kids in school that’s where I would have liked to have lived. Instead I lived out in Tyson’s Corner, which was a 75-90 minute walk/Metro ride each way.
Endless Summer  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2020 2:04:35 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 260 time(s) in 222 post(s)
Its a GS9 with a career ladder to 12. They are starting me at step 10 to match (as best they can) my previous federal pay as an 11 step 5. The work location is about a mile and a half due south of the Whitehouse.

Unless you will have a two income household you are going to be well outside the city. Generally speaking you probably want to avoid Southeast DC. I lived in the NW quadrant and it was pretty decent but stupidly expensive.

I'd look west of the city. You don't want to have to drive into DC, not because of traffic, but because of the cost of parking. If your employer offers parking (not too likely) then disregard.
djp  
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2020 12:31:20 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 168 time(s) in 165 post(s)
Yiu can live in apartment in DC in singke income in a studio.

Hopefully this job is close to metro line.

This SE area has changed a lot in 15 yrs. it’s all newer development in waterfront and baseball and soccer stadium areas. I have no idea of rents here.

My rent in Alexandria is around $2000+ fee for car parking. A studio would be cheaper.

A factor in rent is level of apartment. In the same building you pay more for higher floors.

You want yo avoid having to drive to work and be able to get to work via public transit. That might mean going bus then metro. Farther out areas have bus services like from London county there are a few different bus routes that take you to pentagon Ir in dc. Elsewhere you have Amtrak trains or MARC or VRE trains.

From other areas they also have what’s called slugging. It’s where you get a ride from someone rose going to the same area. The benefit is adding more riders mean you can go HOV.

Some other areas have van pools whee there is no train service near them. For example from places in Maryland on the southern or SE side of DC farther out from metro and no train lines

Rss Feed  Atom Feed