Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Office of Personnel Management

OPM is responsible for several broad categories such as employee recruitment and retention and oversees the overall federal workforce including managing, job announcement postings at USAJOBS.gov and setting governmentwide policies on hiring procedures.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Former Lee Warmer  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2020 11:44:59 AM(UTC)
Former Lee Warmer

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I applied for the same temporary job with many work locations in 2 different federal regions. The announcements and eligibility requirements were identical except for region/locations. The position was available at 2 grade levels depending on education and experience.

In one region I was found eligible for the higher grade, in the other region I was found ineligible. I was offered multiple positions at the higher grade, but due to logistics, lack of housing among other things, had to turn them down. I was also offered a job at the lower grade in the other region.

I accepted, thinking it would be a cinch to get this error fixed and be hired at the higher grade. Naturally, I was wrong.

I did appeal through OPM staffing in Albuquerque, and lost of course. I spoke with the staffing supervisor, who explained his rational in writing. It seemed he was right at first glance but upon double checking, his rationale actually is in direct conflict with what the job announcement said. I'm being held to a higher standard than what is said in the job announcement. The job announcement says you must have a certain degree OR certain coursework for the higher grade, and he said you must have both. I do have both, but only submitted proof of the degree with my application, so I understand why they can't accept the coursework part. BUT the announcement says OR not AND.

He never replied to me again. I contacted his supervisor said she would look into it and get back to me, but she never did and she never will.

Is there any way to grieve this once I start work at the lower grade level in a few weeks? Will I heve made myself so unwelcome that I'm never hired again? This is going to cost me several thousand dollars over the course of the season...My immediate supervisor has sad he is happy to hire me at the higher level, but he can't unless OPM finds me eligible....

Based on my reading I might not be able to get back pay anyway, but the whole process is so cloudy I'm really not sure.

GSBS  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2020 1:37:10 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 276 post(s)
That's how it works. I had a GS Position that was advertised as a WG position in Washington and paid a lot more. In fact the starting pay in Washington was the same pay rate I'd see with my GS position after 20 years. Screwed within the first day although I learned I could have attempted to bargain within that Grade. The announcement had boxes to check, would I work P/T, would I accept an assignment elsewhere, would I work as a Temp...
Former Lee Warmer  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2020 1:48:58 PM(UTC)
Former Lee Warmer

United States

Not quite sure what you mean by "that's the way it works". Are you just trying to say "you're screwed"? I know there is a grievance process for employees, but i don't know if I can use it to grieve a (clearly erroneous) eligibility decision by OPM during the initial application process.
GSBS  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 13, 2020 3:55:23 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 318 time(s) in 276 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Former Lee Warmer Go to Quoted Post
Not quite sure what you mean by "that's the way it works". Are you just trying to say "you're screwed"? I know there is a grievance process for employees, but i don't know if I can use it to grieve a (clearly erroneous) eligibility decision by OPM during the initial application process.
I guess what I am telling you is I applied for a WG Job in Washington & they gave me the same job with the same exact duties covered under the GS schedule in another State and there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it, not a thing. That was my welcome to Government

frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2020 3:14:40 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1043 time(s) in 829 post(s)

In one region I was found eligible for the higher grade, in the other region I was found ineligible. I was offered multiple positions at the higher grade, but due to logistics, lack of housing among other things, had to turn them down. I was also offered a job at the lower grade in the other region.

I accepted, thinking it would be a cinch to get this error fixed and be hired at the higher grade. Naturally, I was wrong.
You were offered a job at Grade X. You were found eligible for Grade Y in another region, but were offered a job in this region at Grade X. You accepted Grade X. Nothing more to see.

If you see a car for sale a dealership Y for cheaper than at dealership X, but they are unable to get you want you want and decide to buy it from dealership X...X is not required to suddenly give it to you at the lower price. Same with jobs...you are offered one at a certain grade and accepted it. Unless they agree to the higher grade PRIOR to your entrance on duty, you are not likely to get it successfully changed (and backdated) after you start.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Former Lee Warmer  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2020 10:06:58 AM(UTC)
Former Lee Warmer

United States

Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post

You were offered a job at Grade X. You were found eligible for Grade Y in another region, but were offered a job in this region at Grade X. You accepted Grade X. Nothing more to see.

If you see a car for sale a dealership Y for cheaper than at dealership X, but they are unable to get you want you want and decide to buy it from dealership X...X is not required to suddenly give it to you at the lower price. Same with jobs...you are offered one at a certain grade and accepted it. Unless they agree to the higher grade PRIOR to your entrance on duty, you are not likely to get it successfully changed (and backdated) after you start.

There's nothing more to see if you completely overlook the fact that two different eligibility decisions were made based on the exact same eligibility requirements and the exact same documents. They can't both be right, so one is wrong.

So lets focus on your last sentence: Unless they agree to the higher grade PRIOR to your entrance on duty, you are not likely to get it successfully changed (and backdated) after you start.

How do I get this done when people just refuse to answer their phone or emails or call me back when they say they will? I agree this needs to be done before I start but all I get is ignored. Its not a difficult matter, they are holding me to standards not in the job announcement. They are finding me ineligible because I didn't submit 2 documents, when only 1 was required.

Since this is an error on their part, there surely must be a way to correct it. At this point all I have is a "tentative offer", and several weeks before I actually start.

ex-military  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2020 10:45:18 AM(UTC)
ex-military

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 86 post(s)

There's nothing more to see if you completely overlook the fact that two different eligibility decisions were made based on the exact same eligibility requirements and the exact same documents. They can't both be right, so one is wrong.

So lets focus on your last sentence: Unless they agree to the higher grade PRIOR to your entrance on duty, you are not likely to get it successfully changed (and backdated) after you start.

How do I get this done when people just refuse to answer their phone or emails or call me back when they say they will? I agree this needs to be done before I start but all I get is ignored. Its not a difficult matter, they are holding me to standards not in the job announcement. They are finding me ineligible because I didn't submit 2 documents, when only 1 was required.

Since this is an error on their part, there surely must be a way to correct it. At this point all I have is a "tentative offer", and several weeks before I actually start.

You were offered Grade X. You accepted. Done deal. IF you don't like it, don't start. Just don't complain when they move on to Candidate #2.

Former Lee Warmer  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2020 11:23:39 AM(UTC)
Former Lee Warmer

United States

The position I applied for had many possible locations. The erroneous denial of eligibility left me ineligible in dozens of locations, not just the one I tentatively accepted at the lower grade. I could get more offers and be stuck at the lower grade at all of them.

Edited by user Thursday, May 14, 2020 11:26:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

frankgonzalez  
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 14, 2020 12:04:52 PM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

The offer was for X. You accept or decline.

Was there 2 announcements or 1 announcement where they were filling multiple locations from? If the latter, then you may have an argument. If the former, then they are two different things, and can be treated differently regardless of your feelings. It sounds like the latter occurred and despite your feelings, there may legally be different ways they evaluated the eligibility of applicants.

So...you can accept the offer. Or you can decline it. You can ask for a higher step in starting at the grade offered (may actually work better in your favor when you apply for a higher grade later on).

Your call at this point. Want the job or not?
Former Lee Warmer  
#10 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2020 4:18:22 PM(UTC)
Former Lee Warmer

United States

Was there 2 announcements or 1 announcement where they were filling multiple locations from? If the latter, then you may have an argument. If the former, then they are two different things, and can be treated differently regardless of your feelings. It sounds like the latter occurred and despite your feelings, there may legally be different ways they evaluated the eligibility of applicants.

So...you can accept the offer. Or you can decline it. You can ask for a higher step in starting at the grade offered (may actually work better in your favor when you apply for a higher grade later on).

Forget the job offer for the moment. I'll address that and the possible step increase separately.

There were 2 announcements for 2 different regions, both for the same job titles and grades and duties, with the same eligibility requirements, both listing dozens of (potential) duty stations and therefore dozens of potential jobs.

Please explain how there can be two different and equally valid ways of evaluating the same requirements and the same submitted materials by the same federal agency.

Edited by user Sunday, May 17, 2020 4:24:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Former Lee Warmer  
#11 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2020 5:10:08 PM(UTC)
Former Lee Warmer

United States

Regarding my acceptance of the job, you'll have to excuse me. I have not worked in federal employment for 20 years, so the terminology and process are not familiar to me. I have been speaking rather carelessly, inadvertently and incorrectly using words with specific meanings.

I was called and asked if I was interested in the lower grade job months ago. I said I was. That's what I meant by "I was offered and accepted." I was told I'd receive the written offer this week.

So clearly I have not really accepted anything yet, because it technically hasn't even been offered.

I would have to start at Step 5 of the lower grade in order to equal the pay of Step 1 of the higher grade. I would imagine my chances of getting that large of a step increase is about 1 in hell.

I have started at least 4 steps above entry in state employment but have no idea what to expect in federal. How many steps do you think I might reasonably hope for? Making up most of the "lost" money would go a long way toward making me not care about the lower grade.

Edited by user Sunday, May 17, 2020 5:11:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ex-military  
#12 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 3:21:00 AM(UTC)
ex-military

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 86 post(s)

Forget the job offer for the moment. I'll address that and the possible step increase separately.

There were 2 announcements for 2 different regions, both for the same job titles and grades and duties, with the same eligibility requirements, both listing dozens of (potential) duty stations and therefore dozens of potential jobs.

Please explain how there can be two different and equally valid ways of evaluating the same requirements and the same submitted materials by the same federal agency.

Subjectivity of the HR person reviewing the materials. Whether you agree with it or not, at the end of the day, your application is reviewed by a human being, with their own subjective standards and biases. It could be something as simple typos in the materials that one person let go, and another didn't. It could be one takes a more liberal view of the requirements, while the other is more stringent. As long as they can justify how they reached their decision, you aren't going to have much to stand on grievance-wise.
frankgonzalez  
#13 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 4:23:25 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Regarding my acceptance of the job, you'll have to excuse me. I have not worked in federal employment for 20 years, so the terminology and process are not familiar to me. I have been speaking rather carelessly, inadvertently and incorrectly using words with specific meanings.

I was called and asked if I was interested in the lower grade job months ago. I said I was. That's what I meant by "I was offered and accepted." I was told I'd receive the written offer this week.

So clearly I have not really accepted anything yet, because it technically hasn't even been offered.

I would have to start at Step 5 of the lower grade in order to equal the pay of Step 1 of the higher grade. I would imagine my chances of getting that large of a step increase is about 1 in hell.

I have started at least 4 steps above entry in state employment but have no idea what to expect in federal. How many steps do you think I might reasonably hope for? Making up most of the "lost" money would go a long way toward making me not care about the lower grade.
OK...I'll talk to the previous post first and then this one. 2 different announcements can be one external and one for internal/reinstatement eligible/etc. One can qualify higher on one vs the other, but more likely (as explained already), two different HR people reviewing the resumes and applications and can justify their ratings. There could also be that while you qualified in one announcement for the higher grade, it could be that there were fewer applicants, so the cut line was lower than for the other announcement where they found you were highly qualified for the lower grade but at the bottom of the pack for the higher grade and so not referred as a result (ie your score was below the cut line they decided on). Qualified and referred are two different things.

That said...

Once you receive the written offer, you can request a higher starting step, increased leave accrual (based on your years of experience in the field), relocation, hiring incentives, etc. They can say no to anything, so you need to decide on what your bottom-line is vs what you'd love to get.

If you are already making more than Step 1 of the grade offered, then that is the obvious place to start. If not, then you need to justify it based on your qualifications and experience. It then depends on the hiring manager and their want to get YOU in the position. Hard to fill position in a hard to fill location with a hard to find qualification? You are in the driver's seat and more likely to get your request. Common qualification, popular location and easy to fill position...hmm...may be a hard sell.

Of course, you never know until you ask!

Former Lee Warmer  
#14 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 5:11:47 PM(UTC)
Former Lee Warmer

United States

I guess I'm wrong again. I received a confirmation of acceptance today, despite never receiving a written offer. So i guess I've been offered and accepted without ever knowing it and without ever signing anything. I also never knew my actual supervisor's name until now. The person who I've been talking to isn't my supervisor.

Huh? Is this the norm? Is this where I say wait a minute and make my salary request or do they really consider me to have accepted all of the terms already?

Edited by user Monday, May 18, 2020 5:12:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

frankgonzalez  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2020 2:41:27 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Now you have it in writing, you contact the HR POC (Yes, the supervisor is not the one who does all the paperwork...they simply tell HR who they want, then HR does all the rest). You reach out and ask to see if you can get the higher step, etc.
Former Lee Warmer  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2020 9:00:15 AM(UTC)
Former Lee Warmer

United States

Now you have it in writing, you contact the HR POC (Yes, the supervisor is not the one who does all the paperwork...they simply tell HR who they want, then HR does all the rest). You reach out and ask to see if you can get the higher step, etc.

Its a 1039 position. They said they don't do step increases for 1039 positions. <rolls eyes>.
TheRealOrange  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2020 9:28:22 AM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 131 post(s)

Its a 1039 position. They said they don't do step increases for 1039 positions. <rolls eyes>.

That sounds like an appointment as a temporary seasonal employee. My understanding is that 1039 appointees:

• Do not gain eligibility to be non-competitively converted to a career conditional appointment.
• Do not serve a probationary period.
• Are not eligible for a promotion, reassignment, or transfer. But, they may be detailed to another position in the agency that is subject to the same time limits and documentation as details for permanent employees.
• Are not eligible for the Federal Employees Retirement System or the Federal Employees Group Life Insurance Program.
• Are eligible for coverage under the Federal Employee Health Benefits (FEHB) Program after completion of at least one year of continuous service. But, the employee has to pay the full premium, which includes both the employee and government shares of the premium.
• Are not eligible for within-grade increases when serving in a General Schedule position.
• Earn sick leave immediately.
• Earn annual leave if the appointment is expected to last more than 90 days.

My guess is that there are a lot of regulatory rules the agency has to follow with these types of appointments and there may not be much wiggle room. It doesn't sound like a great opportunity, except perhaps to get a foot in the door.
frankgonzalez  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2020 10:45:02 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

And I will guess (based on a quick look on USAJOBS) the grade is not very high, and so has a lot of people qualify and apply for the positions..and so no negotiation is needed to get people. If you need a job...carry on, but I'd apply for other full-time career positions.
Former Lee Warmer  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2020 3:47:52 PM(UTC)
Former Lee Warmer

United States

Originally Posted by: TheRealOrange Go to Quoted Post

That sounds like an appointment as a temporary seasonal employee. My understanding is that 1039 appointees:

• Do not gain eligibility to be non-competitively converted to a career conditional appointment.
• Do not serve a probationary period.
• Are not eligible for a promotion, reassignment, or transfer. But, they may be detailed to another position in the agency that is subject to the same time limits and documentation as details for permanent employees.
• Are not eligible for the Federal Employees Retirement System or the Federal Employees Group Life Insurance Program.
• Are eligible for coverage under the Federal Employee Health Benefits (FEHB) Program after completion of at least one year of continuous service. But, the employee has to pay the full premium, which includes both the employee and government shares of the premium.
• Are not eligible for within-grade increases when serving in a General Schedule position.
• Earn sick leave immediately.
• Earn annual leave if the appointment is expected to last more than 90 days.

My guess is that there are a lot of regulatory rules the agency has to follow with these types of appointments and there may not be much wiggle room. It doesn't sound like a great opportunity, except perhaps to get a foot in the door.

I said it was temporary in my first sentence. I know all of this stuff. Its a foot out of the door of my other temporary season position, which I hate, and to which all of the above applied except there are zero benefits, zero sick leave, zero annual leave...but paid marginally more than the lower grade pays. But there is also less work per year. Nevertheless, I wanted out very very bad and this gets me out and into a situation where there may be new opportunities. However, I also might also be content to work out my years in the position IF its at the higher grade. I'll have to see how I like it.

Former Lee Warmer  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2020 3:56:07 PM(UTC)
Former Lee Warmer

United States

And I will guess (based on a quick look on USAJOBS) the grade is not very high, and so has a lot of people qualify and apply for the positions..and so no negotiation is needed to get people. If you need a job...carry on, but I'd apply for other full-time career positions.

I don't think a lot of people want this kind of job, but I don't know that. Yes, its low grade. I was at this grade 30 years ago in a closely related field before I even graduated college. Nobody will hire me in my field though, in which I have 30 years of specialized experience. Its called age discrimination. But its also why I haven't given up easily in my attempt to get that one grade up. Fortunately my supervisor said he was absolutely fine with me continuing to fight for it.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed