Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ethel  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2020 3:57:44 PM(UTC)
ethel

Groups: Registered

I received an official reprimand in October 2018 for (i) a disrespectful email I sent and should not have - completely true and (ii) badgering a much senior colleague to donate to a gift certificate for a retiring colleague - completely fictional - at an agency I left shortly after receiving the reprimand. I left b/c I knew I could not survive three years w/out another complaint against me, since the badgering complaint was fictional and thus revealed the determination my supervisor had to have me removed. I am sure the bad feelings toward me that resulted in the official reprimand still exist at the prior agency, though my supervisor, who issued it, was demoted after I left. But the same HR personnel are there.

Now I have applied to another agency and have an interview w/ this other agency on Tuesday, the 19th. Should I disclose the reprimand at the interview? I assume HR at the prior agency will disclose it first chance if the interview is successful, and they are contacted, so should I not be proactive and alert the interviewers first?

Re the reprimand, I take full responsibility for the email, of course. But the fictional part of the reprimand, that I badgered/bullied a much senior colleague into contributing a few dollars to a gift card for a retiring colleague and "forced" him to provide paper plates and cups for the retirement party - how do I handle that? I can't take responsibility for something I didn't do, but to plead innocence seems suspect unless you know me (a victim of bullying, not a bully) and the senior colleague involved.

No other disciplinary action at this job of eleven years or at any other job in my 35+ year career. All above average to excellent reviews at this job and at all other jobs.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you.
Endless Summer  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2020 4:51:56 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 238 time(s) in 207 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ethel Go to Quoted Post

No other disciplinary action at this job of eleven years or at any other job in my 35+ year career. All above average to excellent reviews at this job and at all other jobs.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

I would not volunteer the information, nor would I try to conceal it if asked about it. The most likely way it might come up is if they ask you why you left that job. Yes, they will find out about it IF they contact your prior Supervisor, but from what I've seen they frequently do not reach out. If you have to fill out a security questionnaire, this is usually a question asked.

If it isn't too late, you might ask that they contact you before contacting your previous supervisor. This isn't a death-blow. Be honest and don't play the victim card, just give them the facts without any emotion.

The fact that you have a long career with no similar issues points to the fact that this may have been a combination of bad timing, and wrong place, wrong people.

Don't let this dissuade you from applying. Best wishes.
thanks 1 user thanked Endless Summer for this useful post.
ethel on 5/18/2020(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed