Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
senpainft  
#21 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 9:07:06 PM(UTC)
senpainft

Groups: Registered
United States

https://webapp4.asu.edu/...ACMRMS/graduate/false%7D Masters in Management; currently the #35 ranked Business School (USNews)
https://spa.asu.edu/content/mpa-curriculum Masters in Public Administration; currently the #7 ranked MPA program (USNews)
Like stated, financially it makes too much sense for me to get my Masters.
Citrine  
#22 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 9:23:13 PM(UTC)
Citrine

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: senpainft Go to Quoted Post
at the U.S. Forest Service in the business and industry role and thoroughly enjoy it.

do that for three years and then go get your masters.

or do that for three years, then transfer to a better job.
djp  
#23 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 6:27:06 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 153 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Originally Posted by: djp Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Endless Summer Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. Many factors in why I want to move to Houston, but it is definitely something I’d like to do down the line. I can understand not doing a Masters since promotion potential is 9-11, but financially it would cost little to nothing (talking at most 10k from a well recognized University for both programs). Since I’ll be 9-11, would a MPA/MPP be pointless and instead I should elect for the Masters in Management?

I think most of us who are 30-40 years down the road from you would say that the things we wanted at 25 are totally different from the things we value now. My point is to look at the Fed position as a stepping stone, to satisfy your needs for the next 3-5 years. Once you are an 11, you start applying for the 12 positions and go where they take you, same for the hop to 13. Unless you have special circumstances you can take that job in DC if it sets you up for the next leap.

As for education, if it gives you an entry, that's great, but experience is what will get you the next bump up.

good luck

This is the answer I was looking for! thank you. So basically whatever Masters I get is going to be irrelevant in Public, so it would be smartest to get it in Management if I ever want to go private. And you are saying basically what my dad has told me; follow the money don’t let it follow you. I think I know now what I need to do!

Masters does matter in some fields but it’s a masters in a certain area. Not just having a masters.

A masters in management sounds utterly useless.

So you would recommend the MPA with a focus in either Public Finance or Public Health something along those lines?

What interests you?

Don’t get a masters just to get one. It’s nesninglrss if it’s not related to your job.

senpainft  
#24 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 7:12:32 PM(UTC)
senpainft

United States

Thanks for the replies everyone. Many factors in why I want to move to Houston, but it is definitely something I’d like to do down the line. I can understand not doing a Masters since promotion potential is 9-11, but financially it would cost little to nothing (talking at most 10k from a well recognized University for both programs). Since I’ll be 9-11, would a MPA/MPP be pointless and instead I should elect for the Masters in Management?

I think most of us who are 30-40 years down the road from you would say that the things we wanted at 25 are totally different from the things we value now. My point is to look at the Fed position as a stepping stone, to satisfy your needs for the next 3-5 years. Once you are an 11, you start applying for the 12 positions and go where they take you, same for the hop to 13. Unless you have special circumstances you can take that job in DC if it sets you up for the next leap.

As for education, if it gives you an entry, that's great, but experience is what will get you the next bump up.

good luck

This is the answer I was looking for! thank you. So basically whatever Masters I get is going to be irrelevant in Public, so it would be smartest to get it in Management if I ever want to go private. And you are saying basically what my dad has told me; follow the money don’t let it follow you. I think I know now what I need to do!

Masters does matter in some fields but it’s a masters in a certain area. Not just having a masters.

A masters in management sounds utterly useless.

So you would recommend the MPA with a focus in either Public Finance or Public Health something along those lines?

What interests you?

Don’t get a masters just to get one. It’s nesninglrss if it’s not related to your job.

I’ve actually done some hard thinking, and I’m going to go with the Masters in either Public Administration with a concentration in Public Finance, or the Masters in Public Policy. I realize Public sector is what I want to do as my Dad has been in it my whole life (he works HR) and I can see enjoying it for the rest of mine. As for which to go for, MPA or MPP, I’m attending a session on June 1 to get more insight into both.
Endless Summer  
#25 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 7:26:21 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 239 time(s) in 207 post(s)
If you want to stay in school and can swing it financially, then cool, go for it.

My observation, the time you spend getting your Masters you could put into working an entry level fed job, and be miles ahead three years down the road.

Your call, I wish you the best whichever route you choose.
thanks 1 user thanked Endless Summer for this useful post.
senpainft on 5/21/2020(UTC)
senpainft  
#26 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 8:56:12 PM(UTC)
senpainft

United States

If you want to stay in school and can swing it financially, then cool, go for it.

My observation, the time you spend getting your Masters you could put into working an entry level fed job, and be miles ahead three years down the road.

Your call, I wish you the best whichever route you choose.

I would still stay with my Fed job, which has a good chance of conversion after I get my undergrad, and do night classes for grad school. Financially, we are talking at max 15k for my Masters, and I have no undergrad debt.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed