Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

43 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RH12  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2020 4:14:31 PM(UTC)
RH12

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Did anyone receive an invite for the pilot assessment ?
Spaceman_Spiff  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2020 10:04:26 AM(UTC)
Spaceman_Spiff

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rockhuff Go to Quoted Post
OK!

Here we go again! I just finished my application for Revenue Agent. I am a former RA from the August 2012 class. Left in 2015. Applied last year and messed up the simulation. I was category B. I got an interview, and that was it. I won't make the same mistake this time. I've been on both sides of this on this forum. In 2012, I was hired with the group on this forum and we met up in training. Last year, just like now, I came here and participated in the thread. I hope this time to get hired and move on with a bunch of you. Good Luck to all of you!

rockhuff, hope you get in this time around and at the appropriate GS level. Sorry it did not work out last hiring. I moved to Appeals last summer for a GS-13. Good luck buddy.

Good luck to all the applicants, I enjoyed being an RA, was hired in 2012 with rockhuff and went to training with them.
thanks 1 user thanked Spaceman_Spiff for this useful post.
rockhuff on 6/14/2020(UTC)
rockhuff  
#23 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2020 10:03:47 AM(UTC)
rockhuff

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Spaceman_Spiff Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: rockhuff Go to Quoted Post
OK!

Here we go again! I just finished my application for Revenue Agent. I am a former RA from the August 2012 class. Left in 2015. Applied last year and messed up the simulation. I was category B. I got an interview, and that was it. I won't make the same mistake this time. I've been on both sides of this on this forum. In 2012, I was hired with the group on this forum and we met up in training. Last year, just like now, I came here and participated in the thread. I hope this time to get hired and move on with a bunch of you. Good Luck to all of you!

rockhuff, hope you get in this time around and at the appropriate GS level. Sorry it did not work out last hiring. I moved to Appeals last summer for a GS-13. Good luck buddy.

Good luck to all the applicants, I enjoyed being an RA, was hired in 2012 with rockhuff and went to training with them.

Thanks! This time around I went more strategic with my POD choices. Also, this time I will be VERY careful on the simulation. I screwed it up last year. I ended up Cat B....I did get an interview, but from what I understand very few, if any, Cat B were hired.

I left the service almost finishing my Grade 11 step 2. If I am re-hired where do they start me? 9, 11, or 12?

thanks!
United7  
#24 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2020 3:02:20 PM(UTC)
United7

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
If you have 52 weeks at the grade GS 11 then you can get hired at GS 12 for the same position you left. If you have less then 52 weeks you will be GS 11/1. Depends also on what Certificate they are hiring from. If it's GS 9-12 you're fine. If GS 9 then you would be GS 9 Step 8.
thanks 1 user thanked United7 for this useful post.
rockhuff on 6/15/2020(UTC)
Nathan Drake  
#25 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2020 12:44:26 PM(UTC)
Nathan Drake

United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I applied yesterday for all grades. I will let the IRS decide what grades i qualify for based on my resume.

The only issue I had when applying is that I only want to I choose 2 offices. However, it wouldn’t go to the next screen without choosing 5 offices plus some additional offices. I was looking for a Not Applicable box but couldn’t find it. So I chose my first choice office for #3-5.
cooljul  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2020 3:07:46 PM(UTC)
cooljul

Was thanked: 103 time(s) in 65 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kozmosmom Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know the anticipated start date(s) for the external hires?

I think I’ve heard January 2021
thanks 1 user thanked cooljul for this useful post.
Kozmosmom on 7/2/2020(UTC)
Luxhc  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2020 3:03:42 PM(UTC)
Luxhc

Woman
United States

I received the pilot assessment. Still haven't gotten the real one yet.
jusbnme20  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2020 3:27:29 PM(UTC)
jusbnme20

United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tayklorrr Go to Quoted Post
I received the pilot assessment. Still haven't gotten the real one yet.

The job announcement says that the assessment will be come after the announcement closes. I had to re-read the announcement today regarding the number of locations and saw the info on the assessment.
CubicalCMDR  
#29 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2020 7:40:16 AM(UTC)
CubicalCMDR

Man
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Applied RA SBSE 6 locations as external candidate. Are PODs near major city and current residence considered first, or are choices 1-6 considered in order? Are you aware of resistance to hiring a re-employed annuitant, to a full time permanent position, who was not a former IRS employee? TKS in advance.
slowpoke  
#30 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2020 8:50:53 AM(UTC)
slowpoke

United States

Was thanked: 148 time(s) in 117 post(s)
I was hired last August and applied for different cities in Texas this time around. Feel free to ask me any questions about the job and I will try to answer your questions.
teeeeej  
#31 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2020 9:18:07 AM(UTC)
teeeeej

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 57 post(s)
What is the "pilot assessment" and "real assessment"? I haven't received anything. I am internal and applied to both internal and external.
Luxhc  
#32 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2020 10:46:14 AM(UTC)
Luxhc

Woman
United States

It's an assessment you take and depending on the results; they score you, Category A, Catagory B, Catagory C (I am not sure if it goes lower than C). You want to get Catagory A, and your results are going to have an impact on whether you get an interview. They are rolling out a new assessment, so they have sent out pilot assessments (that supposedly don't count towards your selection). However, if you get it, I would recommend taking it. Chances are the real assessment is going to have similar questions or questions pulled from the pilot assessment. That way, you're more aware of topics you may need to brush up on.

Edited by user Sunday, June 21, 2020 10:47:11 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

capucha  
#33 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2020 2:31:57 PM(UTC)
capucha

United States

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CubicalCMDR Go to Quoted Post
Applied RA SBSE 6 locations as external candidate. Are PODs near major city and current residence considered first, or are choices 1-6 considered in order? Are you aware of resistance to hiring a re-employed annuitant, to a full time permanent position, who was not a former IRS employee? TKS in advance.

My understanding and experience had been that the POD’s on your list that are the hardest to fill are considered first. I don’t think there is any effort to give your first choice over your sixth choice, though I could be wrong on that. If your sixth choice is a location that has a hard time getting applicants, they will offer you that first. If there are any POD’s on your list that you aren’t willing to relocate to, my advice would be to remove them from your list.
thanks 1 user thanked capucha for this useful post.
CubicalCMDR on 6/21/2020(UTC)
Luxhc  
#34 Posted : Sunday, June 21, 2020 4:10:56 PM(UTC)
Luxhc

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: capucha Go to Quoted Post

My understanding and experience had been that the POD’s on your list that are the hardest to fill are considered first. I don’t think there is any effort to give your first choice over your sixth choice, though I could be wrong on that. If your sixth choice is a location that has a hard time getting applicants, they will offer you that first. If there are any POD’s on your list that you aren’t willing to relocate to, my advice would be to remove them from your list.

I think they typically get you into one of your top three. I know that is how it worked for myself and some friends.

Edited by user Sunday, June 21, 2020 4:11:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Luxhc for this useful post.
CubicalCMDR on 6/21/2020(UTC)
teeeeej  
#35 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 6:34:59 AM(UTC)
teeeeej

Originally Posted by: capucha Go to Quoted Post

I was specifically told last year that you are considered in the order of your preferences. I got offered my 3rd choice, I could have turned it down and rolled the dice that other people would decline my top two, but I didn't think it was wroth that risk.

With the internal announcement, my recollection is that there is no ranking of PODs.
teeeeej  
#36 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 6:36:29 AM(UTC)
teeeeej

Originally Posted by: Tayklorrr Go to Quoted Post
It's an assessment you take and depending on the results; they score you, Category A, Catagory B, Catagory C (I am not sure if it goes lower than C). You want to get Catagory A, and your results are going to have an impact on whether you get an interview. They are rolling out a new assessment, so they have sent out pilot assessments (that supposedly don't count towards your selection). However, if you get it, I would recommend taking it. Chances are the real assessment is going to have similar questions or questions pulled from the pilot assessment. That way, you're more aware of topics you may need to brush up on.

Was this on the internal or external announcement? I thought I had read something about the assessment changing for externals but not for internals. In any event, strange that some people receive the "pilot" and some people do not.
Turtle9654  
#37 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 8:13:28 AM(UTC)
Turtle9654

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I know the last round of RA hiring SBSE did last year, they changed the assessment, so if you received the email for the old assessment and took it, they did not make you take the new one. I took the new assessment that they rolled out last year so my assumption is you don't have to take it again; which might be why some are getting the pilot assessment and some are not.
teeeeej  
#38 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 10:55:58 AM(UTC)
teeeeej

Originally Posted by: Turtle9654 Go to Quoted Post
I know the last round of RA hiring SBSE did last year, they changed the assessment, so if you received the email for the old assessment and took it, they did not make you take the new one. I took the new assessment that they rolled out last year so my assumption is you don't have to take it again; which might be why some are getting the pilot assessment and some are not.

I didn't qualify for RA last year so I didn't get referred or take an assessment. I'm pretty sure the only assessments I took were for TCO.

Have they even referred people already? That seems pretty quick.

CareerConnector just shows Application Received for me.
Turtle9654  
#39 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 11:05:17 AM(UTC)
Turtle9654

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hopefully you'll qualify this round. The external announcement has not even closed yet; it closes tomorrow. Once that happens then assessment's should go out once they qualify everyone based on response to questions on announcement.
teeeeej  
#40 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 11:50:09 AM(UTC)
teeeeej

Originally Posted by: Turtle9654 Go to Quoted Post
Hopefully you'll qualify this round. The external announcement has not even closed yet; it closes tomorrow. Once that happens then assessment's should go out once they qualify everyone based on response to questions on announcement.

As long as you have the 24 accounting + 6 related hours, you should be good to go right? One of my coworkers thought you need an accounting degree.

I selected combination of education and experience. I'm assuming my TCO experience counts as relevant experinece.

The external announcement had much more questions evidently.

Hopefully I'll get referred for internal, but my annual review was all 3's, was told thats what you get while you are in training, so all the 4's and 5's will
inevitably be ranked higher than me.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed