Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Social Security Administration

The Social Security Administration (SSA) is an independent agency of the United States federal government that administers Social Security, a social insurance program consisting of retirement, disability, and survivors' benefits. To qualify for these benefits, most American workers pay Social Security taxes on their earnings; future benefits are based on the employees' contributions. (Source: Wikipedia)

Perhaps you are working for the SSA or interested in working for the SSA. Here is a forum to share your experience with the SSA.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tc1234  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2020 10:03:01 AM(UTC)
tc1234

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/6/2020(UTC)
Posts: 8
United States

Thanks: 1 times
Hey all,

I have a claims specialist phone interview for the nyc region. What can I expect for the interview? Any interview questions they will ask and how long is the interview?


Thankssss


FinanAnalyst20  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 11:14:02 AM(UTC)
FinanAnalyst20

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/4/2020(UTC)
Posts: 8
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It will be at least an hour and at least 2 people on the phone taking turns asking you questions.

Simple stuff:

Tell me about a time you were stressed and how you handled it
Tell me how you would deal with people with diverse backgrounds
Tell me about a time you had an angry customer and how you fixed their issue
Tell me how you manage your tasks

Stuff like that. Just give an example from your past relevant experiences and you will be good.

Then they'll ask you how would you tell if someone is married or not and give you options to choose from and ask a few questions about that.

Finally, they will ask you to think of something you know really well (like a TV show or your hometown). You will have 5 minutes to "think". Then they want you to explain it to them.

Not hard at all. I've had about 6 interviews for this position (different locations) within the past month and 4 offers so far.

You'll be fine. Good luck!
thanks 2 users thanked FinanAnalyst20 for this useful post.
tc1234 on 5/21/2020(UTC), sbnz7942 on 6/21/2020(UTC)
Mukapuka  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 12:17:19 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/25/2018(UTC)
Posts: 91
Location: Arlington Va

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I had an interview for claims specialist last Monday. I am getting a letter from them today. I am not sure what the letter says. Anyone have an idea?

The interview was exactly like Fynananalyst20 says.
They asked me to pick a subject I know very well and explain it.

They want to know if you can explain things. How you are with people, stress, technology.
They asked 6 questions.
At the end I asked if the claims position was for title 2 (retirement claims) or title 16( disability)

I would suggest you have your questions written and just ask. So you look very interested in the position.

I currently work for social security in another position.
FinanAnalyst20  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 12:27:38 PM(UTC)
FinanAnalyst20

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/4/2020(UTC)
Posts: 8
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mukapuka Go to Quoted Post
I had an interview for claims specialist last Monday. I am getting a letter from them today. I am not sure what the letter says. Anyone have an idea?

The interview was exactly like Fynananalyst20 says.
They asked me to pick a subject I know very well and explain it.

They want to know if you can explain things. How you are with people, stress, technology.
They asked 6 questions.
At the end I asked if the claims position was for title 2 (retirement claims) or title 16( disability)

I would suggest you have your questions written and just ask. So you look very interested in the position.

I currently work for social security in another position.




PROBABLY A JOB OFFER!

tc1234  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2020 3:32:41 PM(UTC)
tc1234

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/6/2020(UTC)
Posts: 8
United States

Thanks: 1 times
Originally Posted by: FinanAnalyst20 Go to Quoted Post
It will be at least an hour and at least 2 people on the phone taking turns asking you questions.

Simple stuff:

Tell me about a time you were stressed and how you handled it
Tell me how you would deal with people with diverse backgrounds
Tell me about a time you had an angry customer and how you fixed their issue
Tell me how you manage your tasks

Stuff like that. Just give an example from your past relevant experiences and you will be good.

Then they'll ask you how would you tell if someone is married or not and give you options to choose from and ask a few questions about that.

Finally, they will ask you to think of something you know really well (like a TV show or your hometown). You will have 5 minutes to "think". Then they want you to explain it to them.

Not hard at all. I've had about 6 interviews for this position (different locations) within the past month and 4 offers so far.

You'll be fine. Good luck!


Thank you!! Did you end up taking the position? How long was the entire hiring process?



FinanAnalyst20  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2020 5:15:03 AM(UTC)
FinanAnalyst20

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/4/2020(UTC)
Posts: 8
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bb1234 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: FinanAnalyst20 Go to Quoted Post
It will be at least an hour and at least 2 people on the phone taking turns asking you questions.

Simple stuff:

Tell me about a time you were stressed and how you handled it
Tell me how you would deal with people with diverse backgrounds
Tell me about a time you had an angry customer and how you fixed their issue
Tell me how you manage your tasks

Stuff like that. Just give an example from your past relevant experiences and you will be good.

Then they'll ask you how would you tell if someone is married or not and give you options to choose from and ask a few questions about that.

Finally, they will ask you to think of something you know really well (like a TV show or your hometown). You will have 5 minutes to "think". Then they want you to explain it to them.

Not hard at all. I've had about 6 interviews for this position (different locations) within the past month and 4 offers so far.

You'll be fine. Good luck!


Thank you!! Did you end up taking the position? How long was the entire hiring process?






No problem! I am still weighing my options between the Claims Specialist offers and a few other agency offers.
I interviewed for them around mid-late April and just got the offers this week. I'm sure they would have come sooner but SSA had a hiring freeze and it was just lifted this week and started pouring in. Even still, not long at all!
Mukapuka  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2020 5:48:49 AM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/25/2018(UTC)
Posts: 91
Location: Arlington Va

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I got a letter in the mail saying I passed the meet and deal with the public. The results are valid for a year with that office.

Not sure what comes next. Claims specialist in my area are starting June 22.
FinanAnalyst20  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2020 6:00:29 AM(UTC)
FinanAnalyst20

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/4/2020(UTC)
Posts: 8
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Interesting. I did not receive any letters before I got my offers. But I would say that is a good sign!
FinanAnalyst20  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2020 11:51:17 AM(UTC)
FinanAnalyst20

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/4/2020(UTC)
Posts: 8
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have officially decided to decline all claims specialist offers.
But they do want people starting very soon. One location said 06/08. And another 07/20.
Good luck and congrats in advance to you both!
Mukapuka  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2020 10:52:11 AM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/25/2018(UTC)
Posts: 91
Location: Arlington Va

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I received a TO today and filled out on boarding paperwork. Start June 22.
tc1234  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2020 5:02:30 PM(UTC)
tc1234

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/6/2020(UTC)
Posts: 8
United States

Thanks: 1 times
Originally Posted by: Mukapuka Go to Quoted Post
I received a TO today and filled out on boarding paperwork. Start June 22.


Nice, congrats. Whats next after on-boarding paperwork?
Mukapuka  
#12 Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2020 6:19:02 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/25/2018(UTC)
Posts: 91
Location: Arlington Va

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Actually this is the first part of onboarding paperwork. It is the form that you are accepting a position with the federal government. Once I accepted the Tentative Offer I received an email within minutes congratulating me and a link for fingerprints.
I made an appointment for a nearby location the following for fingerprints. The lady said results will be sent to SSA in 48 hours.
I think once they received the results they will send a Final Offer.
After final offer they will have me fill out more paperwork.

I emailed and called the lady in HR becuase I am already an employee at SSA. I have not received a response yet.
tc1234  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2020 7:32:23 PM(UTC)
tc1234

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/6/2020(UTC)
Posts: 8
United States

Thanks: 1 times
Originally Posted by: Mukapuka Go to Quoted Post
Actually this is the first part of onboarding paperwork. It is the form that you are accepting a position with the federal government. Once I accepted the Tentative Offer I received an email within minutes congratulating me and a link for fingerprints.
I made an appointment for a nearby location the following for fingerprints. The lady said results will be sent to SSA in 48 hours.
I think once they received the results they will send a Final Offer.
After final offer they will have me fill out more paperwork.

I emailed and called the lady in HR becuase I am already an employee at SSA. I have not received a response yet.


Have you heard anything back? I hope all went well.

I interviewed 10 days ago and my references were contacted this week. Still awaiting an update for myself.






Mukapuka  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2020 3:49:05 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/25/2018(UTC)
Posts: 91
Location: Arlington Va

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I start June 22nd. I already work for the agency. I do not have to go in the office since I already have the equipment. Rumor is they won’t open SSA til the fall. So all new employees come in the first day to be set up and get a laptop to work/ study at home until we open the offices again.
Mukapuka  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2020 3:49:45 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/25/2018(UTC)
Posts: 91
Location: Arlington Va

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 14 post(s)
It usually takes about 1-2 months to offer letter date.
tc1234  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2020 3:54:38 PM(UTC)
tc1234

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 4/6/2020(UTC)
Posts: 8
United States

Thanks: 1 times
Originally Posted by: Mukapuka Go to Quoted Post
It usually takes about 1-2 months to offer letter date.


Oh okay I see. So I still have a few more weeks at least before I hear anything back. Thanks for the info!

Mukapuka  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2020 3:59:55 PM(UTC)
Mukapuka

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/25/2018(UTC)
Posts: 91
Location: Arlington Va

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 14 post(s)
You should hear back soon if selected. I think SSA moves faster than other agencies. 1-2 months from time you apply to refer. They did not update my usajobs status until I got the final offer and then it said selected.
teeeeej  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2020 10:47:52 AM(UTC)
teeeeej

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/22/2013(UTC)
Posts: 357

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 32 post(s)
They want to interview me in a few weeks. I currently work for another agency. It sounds like the interview is pretty straightforward, but i'm curious what the actual job is like. Are you mostly interviewing people and making determinations as to their eligibility to benefits? Are these generally in person or over the phone?

I had to to go the SSA once in order to get a new card, but I'ma assuming that the processing of replacement cards is a different position? But obviously I have no idea.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 0.442 seconds.