Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

TSP

Administered by the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board, this defined contribution plan for federal employees has roughly 4,614,874 participants, and over $358 billion in assets under management. Ask your TSP questions and post related topics here.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JeffinVA  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2020 1:30:12 PM(UTC)
JeffinVA

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I will retire on December 31, 2020. My final pay should deposit on January 8, 2021, in the next tax year. I would like to maximize my one and only TSP deduction for tax year 2021. In mid-December I will make my final TSP election, essentially a one-time, final deduction.

For ease of argument, let’s say my final salary for the last pay period is $5,000 and my cashed out annual leave will be $15,000. I understand TSP deductions cannot come out of the annual leave, just salary.

One of my questions is this: Can I set my one and only TSP deduction that will pay out on January 8th to $5,000 and assume the annual leave will pay ALL of the federal & state taxes, social security, Medicare, FEHB and FERS for the entire $20,000 gross pay? Will DFAS (the servicing pay agency) allow this?

Alternatively, would I have to assume the $5,000 salary itself has to fully support the TSP deduction and its own deductions and withholdings? So probably the best I can do is take a TSP deduction in the $3,000 to $4,000 range?

Any insights/help would be appreciated.
Roger.D  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2020 7:28:24 PM(UTC)
Roger.D

United States

Was thanked: 963 time(s) in 743 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JeffinVA Go to Quoted Post

Alternatively, would I have to assume the $5,000 salary itself has to fully support the TSP deduction and its own deductions and withholdings? So probably the best I can do is take a TSP deduction in the $3,000 to $4,000 range?

I think this is what would have to occur.

You might try asking in the Federal Employee Benefits Q&A section. But Ed hasn't posted anything for a while. Hopefully he is healthy.

https://forum.federalsou...lt.aspx?g=topics&f=6

thanks 1 user thanked Roger.D for this useful post.
JeffinVA on 5/25/2020(UTC)
JeffinVA  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2020 10:53:33 AM(UTC)
JeffinVA

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Roger.D Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: JeffinVA Go to Quoted Post

I think this is what would have to occur.

You might try asking in the Federal Employee Benefits Q&A section. But Ed hasn't posted anything for a while. Hopefully he is healthy.

https://forum.federalsou...lt.aspx?g=topics&f=6

I posted a response there a few months back, but it never got posted. I figured I'd try here.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed