Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bishop007  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 9:57:53 AM(UTC)
Bishop007

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Which is the best career path long term? Super interested in both. Have a decent chance at both right now. Assuming both are options. What do you take and why?

Background on me: JD/MBA from middle of the road public university. Currently in the private sector in BFE making 85k/yr with 5 years experience. Limited growth opportunities.

I know if I take the ICE attorney position at GS-12/13 and then move to the Special Agent I would be able to increase my Special Agent starting pay from GS-10 Step 1 to GS-10 Step 10 and then make more money as a Special Agent than as an attorney due to the LEO 25% increase.

But what about the long-term? Which position offers the best growth inside the government and the best exit opportunities? I plan on staying for at least 20-25 years in government which would put me out at 55-60.
bp340  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2020 4:01:43 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 24 post(s)
The lone advantage to the OPLA position is that it tops out at GS 14. Any 1811 position (including the FBI) would offer more pay and a significantly better retirement. I am not a fan of the FBI but I would recommend that route over OPLA.

OPLA receives the normal FERS retirement which is 1 percent per year. Eligibility to retire is 30 years of service at your MRA (57 for most) or retire with 20 years of service at or after age 62. This would give you 30 (Or 20 Percent for the 20 @ 62 scenario) percent of your high Three (plus FERS supplemental and TSP).

Any covered LEO position (enhanced FERS) receives 1.7 percent for the first 20 years (34 percent after 20 years). After 20 years an additional 1 percent for each year is earned. FERS covered employees are eligible to retire with 20 years of covered time at age 50 or with 25 years of covered time at any age. Positions like the FBI receive a premium pay under LEAP (many other LEO positions receive other kinds of premium pay like AUO and BPAPRA) and are compensated at an additional 25 percent of pay but are required to work an additional 2 hours daily. This premium pay counts toward your high three and for TSP matching. LEOs will also get immediate access to TSP if they retire at age 50 or later and get immediate access to the supplemental.

OPLA position after 30 years as a 14 step 10 would net you a salary of $140,146 (rest of us salary chart). Assuming that is the high three this will net a FERS pensión of $42,043 (30 percent). The supplemental would add to this (plus TSP).

FBI position after 30 years as a 13 step 10 would net a base salary of $118,603 Plus LEAP (25 percent) = $148,253. The LEO pensión would be at 44 percent and come in at just over $65,000. Then you could add in the supplemental/TSP.

These are just some basic numbers using the Rest Of US pay schedule and assuming you don’t promote above the journeyman level.

The academy/hiring process for the FBI or any other LEO position will most likely be much more difficult than anything that OPLA will require you to do. Any LEO position will require quarterly firearms and defensive tactics qualifications that do add some stress to the position.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Bishop007 on 5/28/2020(UTC)
Bishop007  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 2:55:58 AM(UTC)
Bishop007

United States

Originally Posted by: bp340 Go to Quoted Post
The lone advantage to the OPLA position is that it tops out at GS 14. Any 1811 position (including the FBI) would offer more pay and a significantly better retirement. I am not a fan of the FBI but I would recommend that route over OPLA.

This is really some great info. Exactly what I was looking for. That retirement info makes a HUGE difference. Do you have a site you used to find this?

Are your problems with the FBI a personal experience or more structurally? I've been interested in other 1811 positions. i.e. IRS 1811, due to my accounting background. But, it seems like the FBI was the more prestigious route and had better exit opportunities if needed.
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 3:21:37 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 61 post(s)
Bishop, from your posts I’m going on a hunch you’re 35 and previously failed phase 2 interview with FBI. If you’re not a veteran your time is running out to become a special agent. I’m not sure how long you have to wait to reapply to the FBI after not passing a phase; IRS it’s one year.

IRS 1811 has an announcement out now if you haven’t applied. I’ve worked with multiple agents from various agencies including FBI and I have to say every agency has its strengths and have brought something unique to the table for joint cases.
thanks 1 user thanked IRSSpecialAgent_1Day for this useful post.
Bishop007 on 5/29/2020(UTC)
Bishop007  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 4:46:48 AM(UTC)
Bishop007

United States

Originally Posted by: IRSSpecialAgent_1Day Go to Quoted Post
Bishop, from your posts I’m going on a hunch you’re 35 and previously failed phase 2 interview with FBI. If you’re not a veteran your time is running out to become a special agent. I’m not sure how long you have to wait to reapply to the FBI after not passing a phase; IRS it’s one year.

IRS 1811 has an announcement out now if you haven’t applied. I’ve worked with multiple agents from various agencies including FBI and I have to say every agency has its strengths and have brought something unique to the table for joint cases.

Thank you for your input.

Very Close. Low 30s. Blew through the FBI app process last time. Went from application to interview in two months. Was overly confident and under prepared and TANKED the interview. With proper prep I think I’ll nail the interview next go round.

FBI is the same then. I can redo phase 2 once my year wait is up.

I thought about applying for the IRS 1811 position, but decided to hold off until I got to the end of the road with the FBI.
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 5:05:26 AM(UTC)
IRSSpecialAgent_1Day

United States

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 61 post(s)
Bishop, the IRS application closes in November so you have plenty of time. There’s nothing wrong with putting your eggs in different baskets.

If you’re in the lower 30s you have time :-)

thanks 1 user thanked IRSSpecialAgent_1Day for this useful post.
bp340  
#7 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 7:09:33 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Bishop007 Go to Quoted Post

This is really some great info. Exactly what I was looking for. That retirement info makes a HUGE difference. Do you have a site you used to find this?

Are your problems with the FBI a personal experience or more structurally? I've been interested in other 1811 positions. i.e. IRS 1811, due to my accounting background. But, it seems like the FBI was the more prestigious route and had better exit opportunities if needed.

Here’s a link for basic retirement information.
https://www.opm.gov/reti...information/computation/
Main points are 1.7 percent per year for the first 20 years (1 percent after 20)
Immediate access to TSP funds if you retire at age 50 or later.
Receives FERS supplemental from retirement date until age 62.

As to my opinions on the FBI. My agency (and Office) currently has numerous officers on FBI task forces plus I have had to interact with them for official matters over the years. My opinion has been formed by these personal experiences as well as the current issues that FBI has been involved in during the past 4 or 5 years. Read the IG report on FISA abuse and how an audit across the country resulted in a 100 percent failure with numerous issues. It is still a prestigious badge but it has been severely tarnished (In my opinion) and will probably take a generation to regain the public’s trust.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Bishop007  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2020 7:15:59 AM(UTC)
Bishop007

United States

Originally Posted by: IRSSpecialAgent_1Day Go to Quoted Post
Bishop, the IRS application closes in November so you have plenty of time. There’s nothing wrong with putting your eggs in different baskets.

If you’re in the lower 30s you have time :-)

Isn't this a recurring yearly posting? Or do they not hire some years like the FBI does?
bp340  
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 6, 2020 8:43:06 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Bishop007 Go to Quoted Post

Here’s a link for basic retirement information.
https://www.opm.gov/reti...information/computation/
Main points are 1.7 percent per year for the first 20 years (1 percent after 20)
Immediate access to TSP funds if you retire at age 50 or later.
Receives FERS supplemental from retirement date until age 62.

As to my opinions on the FBI. My agency (and Office) currently has numerous officers on FBI task forces plus I have had to interact with them for official matters over the years. My opinion has been formed by these personal experiences as well as the current issues that FBI has been involved in during the past 4 or 5 years. Read the IG report on FISA abuse and how an audit across the country resulted in a 100 percent failure with numerous issues. It is still a prestigious badge but it has been severely tarnished (In my opinion) and will probably take a generation to regain the public’s trust.

Here’s another reason to dislike the FBI.

https://theconservativet...ack-panthers-protesters/

Edited by user Saturday, June 6, 2020 9:32:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed