Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Interior

The U.S. Department of the Interior protects America’s natural resources and heritage, honors our cultures and tribal communities and supplies the energy to power our future.

The agency employs about 70,000 people in approximately 2,400 locations with offices across the United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. Territories and Freely Associated States.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ScoobyDon't  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 2, 2020 5:06:09 PM(UTC)
ScoobyDon't

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

I applied to a Park Ranger job in California that closed in April. There has been no moment in USAjobs and I do not have a contact for the position location. I have sent a few emails to the philadelphia@ email and one to the district office, but all is silent.

Any suggestions?

Edited by user Tuesday, June 2, 2020 7:58:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Endless Summer  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2020 12:00:30 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 255 time(s) in 218 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ScoobyDon' Go to Quoted Post
I applied to a Park Ranger job in California that closed in April. There has been no moment in USAjobs and I do not have a contact for the position location. I have sent a few emails to the philadelphia@ email and one to the district office, but all is silent.

Any suggestions?

I know this sounds unhelpful but the best suggestion I can offer is patience. I routinely wait months before hearing on jobs. It's just the way it is.

Good luck, keep applying for anything you find that suites you.
DaVinci95  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2020 4:30:11 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 83 time(s) in 78 post(s)

Any suggestions?

If you read this board, a common theme you’ll see regarding applying for jobs is “fire and forget”. The Federal hiring process is convoluted, and badgering HR isn’t going to help. I have received job offers (with no interviews) both 2 weeks after an announcement closed and a year after it had closed. The status in USAJobs may never change, and if it does it may not be accurate. The majority of jobs I have applied to I was never contacted about. Don’t hang your hopes on any one job opening. Submit your application then go on with your life.
ScoobyDon't  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2020 5:34:32 AM(UTC)
ScoobyDon't

Man
United States

I wouldn't be so impatient if it wasn't for the fact that I have applied to 4 other jobs after this one and have already been referred to the hiring manager for all four. The reason I want this one to move faster is that it is literally 15 mins from my house and the rest are out of state.

I would hate to accept one of the other jobs and then have the close one ask for an interview.
Endless Summer  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2020 1:51:24 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 255 time(s) in 218 post(s)
I wouldn't be so impatient if it wasn't for the fact that I have applied to 4 other jobs after this one and have already been referred to the hiring manager for all four. The reason I want this one to move faster is that it is literally 15 mins from my house and the rest are out of state.

I would hate to accept one of the other jobs and then have the close one ask for an interview.

Only you can make the decision as to what it's worth. Do you take a sure thing out of state to get your foot in the door or hold out for a possible closer?

We can't answer that one for you. How much of a gambler are you?

Just for perspective, a referral is just one small step. I've been referred on hundreds of applications that I was very well qualified for, and only got interviewed for about 10% of them.

I wish you luck, I think most of us have been where you are now.
FS0201  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2020 4:52:39 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 256 post(s)
I wouldn’t think about it at all; as noted above, fire and forget. The only sure thing is the job you are sitting in the seat of. Until that happens, assume all other opportunities will result in nothing happening.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
smithandjones  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2020 2:21:26 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I once got an email notice stating I wasn’t hired two hours BEFORE a scheduled interview.

Another time I was found to be unqualified for a job in the same position and agency that I had been found best qualified to SUPERVISE 2 months earlier.

I was also once offered LESS money to start a position than the minimum listed in the job announcement.

So I really can’t help you understand the federal hiring process. But I do know for a fact that a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

Edited by user Tuesday, June 16, 2020 2:11:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed