Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NorCal  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2020 6:21:30 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
After transitioning from the military, to the private sector, I started with the agency about 5 years ago. In the past 5 years I have considerablely "padded" my resume and I've completed several promotional details at the next GS level. I also finished grad school last year. I landed at pretty good unit, and I had an awesome supervisor who was VERY supportive and constantly said I was over qualified for what I'm doing now. I don't know if I believe all that, but I appreciate the sediment.

I applied for 3 positions, two in the USDA and one with the BOR. The BOR gig was the lowest paying, in a high tax state, with zero relocation. The other two USDA positions (from talking to folks close to the hiring panel) seem to be preparing to offer me positions and both match or exceed the GS level of the BOR, and both USDA positions offer relocation. Now I will say that I'm shocked that I'm being considered for all three, and it looks like I might (potentually) be encountering a multiple offer situation in the near future. However, only the BOR has extended a tenative offer, but they only offered me step 1 in the next GS grade which unfortunately because of my previous QSI's, only equates to a few thousand dollar raise. As it stands currently, because of my completed details, I can potentually jump two GS grades.

I believe the two USDA positions are conservatively 2-4 weeks out from giving me a tenative offer, but where I'm struggling is the whole bird in hand situation. Now I have it on good authority that the other two units will most likely make me a tenative offer as well, but I'm of the mindset that unless ink hits paper its all speculation. (No matter how creditable the source)

It was someone of this forum who worked in HR that gave me solid advice 5 years ago that I considered to be a "game changer" (for me) and directly contributed to me entering federal service; and I'm still relately new to the fed so I'm not all knowing and I recognize that. Has anyone been in this situation and have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
Rss Feed  Atom Feed