Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
5 Pages«<345
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CivSer67  
#81 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2020 6:59:17 AM(UTC)
CivSer67

Groups: Registered
Man
Germany

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
nope, still making fun of the window licker!
Al329  
#82 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2020 7:06:15 AM(UTC)
Al329

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CivSer67 Go to Quoted Post
nope, still making fun of the window licker!

as a proper bully troll should!

all bark.. no bite! hahahahaha
frankgonzalez  
#83 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2020 10:51:09 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1054 time(s) in 839 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CivSer67 Go to Quoted Post
Hey Skippy, here you go, I just received a call from a friend of mine who works at CPAC at Sembach (no you will not receive a name) it appears the DOA has approved 3 tour extensions in Germany exceeding the 5 year limit since Jan 01 2020. Proves my point on your idiotic nonsense...again, LMAO at your expense! MMMM how's that crow taste?
No really a good example, as most of DoD movement was halted for a large part of this year due to Covid.

What are the numbers for 2019 (a clear 12 month window to really judge)? Requests made and those granted?

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Coffee!  
#84 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2020 11:17:20 AM(UTC)

Question for those of you that may know: what if, say, you land a DOD job in the Marshall Islands, where there is no LQA, and housing is provided. After a couple of years, you apply for a job in Japan--would you be eligible to receive LQA? I get that the DOS rules stipulate recruitment out of CONUS, but DOS is kind of hazy on this topic, and the DOD even more-so, depending on what command you are a part of.

Endless Summer  
#85 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2020 1:43:02 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 255 time(s) in 218 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Coffee! Go to Quoted Post
Question for those of you that may know: what if, say, you land a DOD job in the Marshall Islands, where there is no LQA, and housing is provided. After a couple of years, you apply for a job in Japan--would you be eligible to receive LQA? I get that the DOS rules stipulate recruitment out of CONUS, but DOS is kind of hazy on this topic, and the DOD even more-so, depending on what command you are a part of.

It's pretty clear. You must maintain a residence and be present in that residence in the continental US for a period of two years prior to being qualified for LQA.

Having said that, there are waivers, exceptions, and exemptions that might apply, but you can't rely on that being the case for you. If your ultimate goal is to get to Japan, then hold out for that unless you are DoDEA.

The problem is, as you've noted, that individual commands have their own interpretations of the regs. This isn't doing anyone any favors. There was a recent case where an audit was conducted and it was found that about 700 DoD civilians improperly got LQA. Even though it was through no fault of their own they were initially told they would have to repay all the LQA. This amounted to over $100k for several.

The issue there was that their commands improperly interpreted the regs and when it was discovered said "well, it sucks to be you. Pay up" It was only when the media got ahold of it and it was making the DoD look bad that they decided to forgive the debt, but they still told the recipients they had 12 months before they yanked the LQA completely.
LilBits  
#86 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2020 2:18:03 PM(UTC)
LilBits

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I do know how a couple people after 10 years still receive LQA. A RHS math teacher I have known for 20+ years told me his work around, he sold/transferred his German home to his brother (Lives in the USA) at the 10 year mark and now pays rent to an account in the brothers name to continue receiving LQA. My other friend (DOD-AF-GS) moved out of the house he owns at the 10 year mark and rents it. He lives and pays rent for another home he doesn’t own to collect LQA.

In my little experience this is what I have seen; As far as the 5 year rule it depends on the commands leadership at the time and approving authority. Korea if you are USFK extensions are usually granted, if you are Army 5 year rule is enforced. It does change as fast as the weather. It’s a mix of luck and timing. We have been OCONUS since 2010, two waivers recently submitted, (GS14) 11-13 years and the other (GS15) 21-23 years. We are waiting on results. The weather recently changed in Korea. About a month ago USFK changed approving authority, waivers (above 9 years) are now approved off Pen.(USARPAC). The weight of the waiver also helps the decision, is there a push pin from a GO and how many Stars are on his shoulder. I am sure there are many people who have had different experiences and opinions on this subject. I am just sharing mine!

Edited by user Tuesday, July 7, 2020 2:25:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FatHappyCat  
#87 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2020 11:46:02 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 112 time(s) in 96 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Endless Summer Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Coffee! Go to Quoted Post

It's pretty clear. You must maintain a residence and be present in that residence in the continental US for a period of two years prior to being qualified for LQA.

Having said that, there are waivers, exceptions, and exemptions that might apply, but you can't rely on that being the case for you. If your ultimate goal is to get to Japan, then hold out for that unless you are DoDEA.

The problem is, as you've noted, that individual commands have their own interpretations of the regs. This isn't doing anyone any favors. There was a recent case where an audit was conducted and it was found that about 700 DoD civilians improperly got LQA. Even though it was through no fault of their own they were initially told they would have to repay all the LQA. This amounted to over $100k for several.

The issue there was that their commands improperly interpreted the regs and when it was discovered said "well, it sucks to be you. Pay up" It was only when the media got ahold of it and it was making the DoD look bad that they decided to forgive the debt, but they still told the recipients they had 12 months before they yanked the LQA completely.

Are you certain that the requirement is CONUS and not US territories? In Yokosuka, what most of my co-workers do since they can't get by the 5-year rule is to try to stay as close as possible to Japan with their Japanese spouses. This generally means looking for something in Hawaii and staying there for 2 years before trying to head back to Japan.

In my experience, the overwhelming majority of DoD 5 year rule extension are denied. Maybe we convince ourselves that it's actually higher than it actually is because we generally hear about how so and so got it but we don't hear about the many others that don't. As Frank mentioned, there might have been a slight increase because of COVID19 but even that is limited in nature and based on the command. PPP has clear rules that the stop in movement is only until the travel restriction is lifted. There's no magic solution to extend; no forms to complete, no regs to quote, no sob story to tell that can guarantee you anything. I've seen request made for kids to finish school (extended until semester ended), new birth, (only 6-month granted) and chemotherapy all get denied.

Obviously Doddea and DOS play by different rules based on regulations and the nature of their jobs. Don't count on their precedence to justify your extension.

Endless Summer  
#88 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2020 12:08:36 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Originally Posted by: FatHappyCat Go to Quoted Post

Are you certain that the requirement is CONUS and not US territories? In Yokosuka, what most of my co-workers do since they can't get by the 5-year rule is to try to stay as close as possible to Japan with their Japanese spouses. This generally means looking for something in Hawaii and staying there for 2 years before trying to head back to Japan.

You are correct. Just an example of some of the conflicting info out there. I saw DoD docs that specified CONUS. The actual read is any 50 states and US Posessions.
Endless Summer  
#89 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2020 12:20:24 AM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Originally Posted by: LilBits Go to Quoted Post
I do know how a couple people after 10 years still receive LQA. A RHS math teacher I have known for 20+ years told me his work around, he sold/transferred his German home to his brother (Lives in the USA) at the 10 year mark and now pays rent to an account in the brothers name to continue receiving LQA. My other friend (DOD-AF-GS) moved out of the house he owns at the 10 year mark and rents it. He lives and pays rent for another home he doesn’t own to collect LQA.

This is the thing that should scare people. If you read the regs on LQA they specifically mention the two schemes listed above and are clear that they are not allowed. Yet people are not being properly informed.

The scary part is that people are being allowed to do things like this. We rely on our HR/S1/CPAC staff to give us good info and guidance. In truth, when they mess up, the courts have ruled that you being provided with incorrect info does not release you from your obligation.

When I filled out my app for LQA it specifically asked if I own, or have ever owned or sold any property in the area.

All it takes is a new guy asking the wrong questions, or an audit, and these people who thought they were playing by the rules, get hammered for a couple hundred thou. If you can live with that sword hanging over your head, I wish you the best of luck.

Edited by user Wednesday, July 8, 2020 12:21:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LilBits  
#90 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2020 2:33:08 AM(UTC)
LilBits

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Endless Summer, I think we might of discussed this before. It is exactly why we don’t own property. We play it straight. We sold our home in the USA when we moved overseas 10 plus years ago. We didn’t want the headaches, stresses and responsibilities that come with renters. The only bill we have is car insurance, under $500 a year. You lived in Korea you know how the rent, utilities and internet is paid. We are not travelers and do not like Korean cuisine. I love to cook, spouse loves my cooking. We are 5 year from retirement. It’s been live frugal, save save save. There is a light at the end of this tunnel! I can see the house on the beach waiting for us, LOL!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed