Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MovinUp  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2020 4:47:06 PM(UTC)
MovinUp

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
We've been told that we need to be back on July 1. This makes no sense to me. Puts us all at more risk. Teleworking has been working quite well for my position. I can accomplish more at home without the interruptions. People can call or email with questions. I work for DoN, as an engineer. Wondering what the situation is elsewhere in terms of return date. It's not clear what our telework policy will be after July 1, but nobody does full time telework at our site. Usually it's 1 day/week max. They just keep telling us to come back on July 1. Retirement is an option, though I was planning to stay for 3 more years. Is anyone else thinking of retiring rather than returning? For now, I feel like a pawn in their goal to "re-open" even though we've never been closed. I work in California.
smithandjones  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2020 8:06:19 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
My agency is transferring from “mandatory” telework to “maximum” telework. This means returning to the office is allowed now but optional. Management and politicals have returned but basically no one else. That will continue through undefined phases 1 and 2. During phase 1 only 30% of workers would be allowed in the building and during phase 2 half the workers would be allowed in. I don’t anticipate they will have a problem with those limits as long as it is optional. No clear sense as to when return to office would take effect but late summer is probably the target subject to change when new waves become reality.

I have been on the fence over early retirement and considering moving west to continue telework until they tell me I have to return. If ordered to return then just retire. But there are so many factors it is tough to make a decision on any of this with no clear answers.

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
MovinUp on 6/22/2020(UTC)
GWPDA  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 6:08:45 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 525 time(s) in 437 post(s)
I was already scheduled for retirement on 18 July when DA started making noises about returning from telework. I never formally declined the idea, but apparently my retirement has been moved ahead. Just as well - I would have found the commute from Tucson to Honolulu excessive.

I'm not going to repeat here what I said to the various Generals about their conduct. What I can say is that the entire DA response to COVID-19 is on a par with their response to Administration interference in DA matters. Eye-opening and more than a little terrifying.
thanks 1 user thanked GWPDA for this useful post.
MovinUp on 6/22/2020(UTC)
MovinUp  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 8:21:47 PM(UTC)
MovinUp

United States

Originally Posted by: smithandjones Go to Quoted Post
My agency is transferring from “mandatory” telework to “maximum” telework. This means returning to the office is allowed now but optional. Management and politicals have returned but basically no one else. That will continue through undefined phases 1 and 2. During phase 1 only 30% of workers would be allowed in the building and during phase 2 half the workers would be allowed in. I don’t anticipate they will have a problem with those limits as long as it is optional. No clear sense as to when return to office would take effect but late summer is probably the target subject to change when new waves become reality.

I have been on the fence over early retirement and considering moving west to continue telework until they tell me I have to return. If ordered to return then just retire. But there are so many factors it is tough to make a decision on any of this with no clear answers.

We were never on mandatory. Always surprised me how many people were on base when I did go in for computer issues. However, I happen to have good circumstances now for telework, but it would have been really tough to have done it 6 months earlier. I am appalled at the lack of humanity in the decision to force us to come in when the job can be done from home, but sadly not surprised. How many more deaths will it take? Yes, someone at our installation died from COVID.
thanks 2 users thanked MovinUp for this useful post.
GWPDA on 6/20/2020(UTC), JDSIII on 6/22/2020(UTC)
frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 3:39:34 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1054 time(s) in 839 post(s)
My agency does not have a date, but a set of conditions that have to be met for each location to begin to return. As our centers are all across the country, each location has to meet the requirements before they can re-open. As a result, we have been told it could take a year or more before everyone returns, and...if you are high-risk...then it may be a little after everyone else has gone back (to ensure no spikes occur as a sudden return to work could cause).

So...again, another reason I love working at my agency!
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 2 users thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
JDSIII on 6/22/2020(UTC), MovinUp on 6/22/2020(UTC)
MovinUp  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 8:23:09 PM(UTC)
MovinUp

United States

Frank,

Yes, your agency is no doubt better than mine! I still have many friends there and one tells me he could be staying at home until he retires next May (but he will go in during off-hours for equipment usage). I am very frustrated by the lack of rationale for limiting our telework after we return. My supervisor has said that our performance during telework is great, but he can no longer allow us to telework.

We also have many sites and although there is guidance from HQ, the decision to require us to come back rests solely at the local level, in the hands of one person who sits in a private office, to the best of my knowledge. We are surrounded by hot spots that restrict our local travel (we face possible quarantine if we go out of our local area to the east or south and to the west is an ocean) and yet we need to go to work.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed