Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ihatemanagement  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 3:45:52 AM(UTC)
Ihatemanagement

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Does anyone know who to contact to talk to about issues management is giving us with using Covid leave?
The same manager I’ve been having issues with now wants to stop people from taking it. Her logic:

-kids are out of school so people should be coming to work.

-If both parents work in the same building both can’t have off at the same time.

-for people with childcare, she’s requiring the name, address, and phone number of the installation or individual your child is getting care from so she can contact them.

Is any of this legal? This falls under fmla so it feels like this is a breech of privacy laws. Her denying parents who work in the same facility time off together would be discriminatory. Even with all of that being said, the liberal leave policy is still in effect until July 17. It seems she’s completely forgotten about that.

Any help would be appreciated!
Wicked cool guy  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 4:15:39 AM(UTC)
Wicked cool guy

United States

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ihatemanagement Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know who to contact to talk to about issues management is giving us with using Covid leave?
The same manager I’ve been having issues with now wants to stop people from taking it. Her logic:

-If both parents work in the same building both can’t have off at the same time.

-for people with childcare, she’s requiring the name, address, and phone number of the installation or individual your child is getting care from so she can contact them.

Is any of this legal? This falls under fmla so it feels like this is a breech of privacy laws. Her denying parents who work in the same facility time off together would be discriminatory. Even with all of that being said, the liberal leave policy is still in effect until July 17. It seems she’s completely forgotten about that.

The first two points are not valid on her part. Childcare is very broad. Can you convince family to come over and risk themselves to watch your kids? Tell them no, your normal childcare situation is unavailable, that's all that matters.

The documentation is covered in one of the memo and it does say they need the details of your childcare provider. Go to the APWU site and read all of the documents pertaining to this leave, all other answers are there.
thanks 1 user thanked Wicked cool guy for this useful post.
Ihatemanagement on 6/19/2020(UTC)
Wicked cool guy  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 4:17:31 AM(UTC)
Wicked cool guy

United States

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 43 post(s)
And it doesn't matter how it impacts her staffing levels, that is why they created the temporary clerk positions.
thanks 1 user thanked Wicked cool guy for this useful post.
Ihatemanagement on 6/19/2020(UTC)
Ihatemanagement  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 4:51:19 AM(UTC)
Ihatemanagement

United States

Originally Posted by: Wicked cool guy Go to Quoted Post

The first two points are not valid on her part. Childcare is very broad. Can you convince family to come over and risk themselves to watch your kids? Tell them no, your normal childcare situation is unavailable, that's all that matters.

The documentation is covered in one of the memo and it does say they need the details of your childcare provider. Go to the APWU site and read all of the documents pertaining to this leave, all other answers are there.

Thank you. I’ll recheck the APWU website and go over the documents again. People at work who heard she was going to try this did contact a steward to look into it.
Ihatemanagement  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 4:55:12 AM(UTC)
Ihatemanagement

United States

Originally Posted by: Wicked cool guy Go to Quoted Post
And it doesn't matter how it impacts her staffing levels, that is why they created the temporary clerk positions.

She moved the MPAs(5) to automation that doesn’t have enough volume to justify staffing before the extra help. She moved the PSEs(3) to my pay location. She could potentially move the extra help over to my machine but this is also the same person who denied my change of schedule request to go to another tour for 30 days after getting the extra help in and after the liberal leave policy was in place. I filed an EEO so we will see where that goes.
postalvet  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 5:42:47 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 3012 time(s) in 2396 post(s)

are you a steward?

have you filled a grievance?

how have you been discriminated against?
Postal retired 38yrs Just Sayin' Black Live's Matter #dumptrump2020 wear your mask
Ihatemanagement  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 8:30:40 AM(UTC)
Ihatemanagement

United States

Originally Posted by: postalvet Go to Quoted Post

are you a steward?

I am not a steward.

Those who were at work yesterday found out and have the local president looking into things. My first day back would be Monday to file a grievance.

Me and my wife currently have EEOs on this particular manager for discriminatory actions. For me, she’s discriminating against me because of the ethnicity of my wife and the current and last EEOs that were filed against her.

Now she’s saying that husband and wives that work in the plant can’t have covid leave off at the same time. Coincidentally me and my wife both work at the plant together. We have husband/wife combos that work at different plants where this wouldn’t affect them. It’s discrimination.
postalvet  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 8:42:15 AM(UTC)
postalvet

are you a steward?

I am not a steward.

Those who were at work yesterday found out and have the local president looking into things. My first day back would be Monday to file a grievance.

Me and my wife currently have EEOs on this particular manager for discriminatory actions. For me, she’s discriminating against me because of the ethnicity of my wife and the current and last EEOs that were filed against her.

Now she’s saying that husband and wives that work in the plant can’t have covid leave off at the same time. Coincidentally me and my wife both work at the plant together. We have husband/wife combos that work at different plants where this wouldn’t affect them. It’s discrimination.

first off it is not discrimination, if you have another eeo case going, it is retaliation for past eeo activity.

who is this manager? first line, mdo or plant manager?

if you are not at work how are you being treated different?

how do you prove this statement? "We have husband/wife combos that work at different plants where this wouldn’t affect them."?

Postal retired 38yrs Just Sayin' Black Live's Matter #dumptrump2020 wear your mask
Seadogg  
#9 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 9:13:30 AM(UTC)
Seadogg

Was thanked: 656 time(s) in 440 post(s)
Are you talking specifically about families first childcare FMLA? You have to certify that no one else will be taking care of your kids during that time, so having both parents off at the same time would be fraud.

This leave is there for if you absolutely need it. It's not supposed to be some kind of bonus.
Ihatemanagement  
#10 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 9:17:10 AM(UTC)
Ihatemanagement

United States

are you a steward?

I am not a steward.

first off it is not discrimination, if you have another eeo case going, it is retaliation for past eeo activity.

who is this manager? first line, mdo or plant manager?

if you are not at work how are you being treated different?

how do you prove this statement? "We have husband/wife combos that work at different plants where this wouldn’t affect them."?

You’re correct, it is retaliation regarding how’s she’s treated me and why I’ve filed an EEO against her. The discrimination is what she’s attempting currently.

She’s an MDO on tour 2.

What she’s trying to do will affect those of us putting in for covid leave after I get back to work ( ie next week). It will affect me going forward when I want to put in leave and she wants to give me a hard time for something that she legally can’t do.

There’s a married couple at work that are good friends with me and my wife. The husband works in our building and the wife works in another plant. He won’t be denied his covid leave when he asks for It because he’s the only person that works there. Meanwhile his wife can put in for the same time off at her facility and they won’t blink an eye to approve it. It would be easy enough for them to make a copy of their approved leaves slips for the same time off from their supervisors/managers in their respective buildings. Easily proved at that point.

If covid leave is considered fmla, she shouldn’t be able to disapprove my leave because my wife also has leave in or is off that day.
Ihatemanagement  
#11 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 9:18:26 AM(UTC)
Ihatemanagement

United States

Originally Posted by: Seadogg Go to Quoted Post
Are you talking specifically about families first childcare FMLA? You have to certify that no one else will be taking care of your kids during that time, so having both parents off at the same time would be fraud.

This leave is there for if you absolutely need it. It's not supposed to be some kind of bonus.

Can you show me where you found this information?
MPE2009  
#12 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 9:42:04 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 618 time(s) in 477 post(s)

Kids out of school need some sort of care unless they're teenager who know more than their parents. So there is some common sense involved in these situations.

Both parents working in the same building or different building is irrelevant. They will still be requirements to show why they need the time off.

Yes it is legal and it does not fall under normal FMLA and has nothing to do with privacy. All cases for the COVID19 FMLA in regards to childcare is handled at the local level. HRSSC does not handle it and refers all such cases back to local management. This also have nothing to do with the liberal leave policy. The liberal leave policy only applies to COVID19. So if you have a guy that calls in every saturday due to hangovers or going fishing, he can be held accountable for his attendance.

The bigger problem here is all of the unfounded rumors and "knowledge" that gets shared by people who are ignorant of the law and applicable rules, MOU, etc. So it's good that your union president has begun to investigate the allegations. Also just because you don't like your MDO and believe you've been discriminated against, it does not mean that she is wrong in these matters. Additionally it's very likely she's following the rules as Labor, TACO and her chain of command have instructed her. So let your president do his/her job.
thanks 1 user thanked MPE2009 for this useful post.
Kickjump on 6/20/2020(UTC)
Ihatemanagement  
#13 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 9:56:47 AM(UTC)
Ihatemanagement

United States

Originally Posted by: MPE2009 Go to Quoted Post

Kids out of school need some sort of care unless they're teenager who know more than their parents. So there is some common sense involved in these situations.

Both parents working in the same building or different building is irrelevant. They will still be requirements to show why they need the time off.

Yes it is legal and it does not fall under normal FMLA and has nothing to do with privacy. All cases for the COVID19 FMLA in regards to childcare is handled at the local level. HRSSC does not handle it and refers all such cases back to local management. This also have nothing to do with the liberal leave policy. The liberal leave policy only applies to COVID19. So if you have a guy that calls in every saturday due to hangovers or going fishing, he can be held accountable for his attendance.

The bigger problem here is all of the unfounded rumors and "knowledge" that gets shared by people who are ignorant of the law and applicable rules, MOU, etc. So it's good that your union president has begun to investigate the allegations. Also just because you don't like your MDO and believe you've been discriminated against, it does not mean that she is wrong in these matters. Additionally it's very likely she's following the rules as Labor, TACO and her chain of command have instructed her. So let your president do his/her job.

I’ll speak just for my situation:

Me and my wife both work at a plant on the same tour.
Our daughter is well under 18
Her normal caregiver is my grandmother who is elderly and unable to take care of her doing this time.
*Summer school starts July 6th-August 6th*

The only leave I’m talking about in this thread is the use of Covid leave. As I’ve mentioned in a post prior to yours, how can she say that both parents can’t be off together but parents who work in separate installations can? Also, I tried asking for a change of schedule so me and my wife could both work and she denied it with her reasoning being “services as needed”. This was after the liberal leave policy was enacted and the extra help was hired. If she knows what she’s doing then I don’t see why she wouldn’t be able to produce documentation to back up her claims.

I’m contacting HR to find out if they know about management’s rights under the FFCA. The apwu website pertains mainly to its members. This thread was created to find out if anyone else knew any other contact to talk besides HR about this topic. I’m trying to educate myself prior to going back to work.

Edited by user Friday, June 19, 2020 10:01:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Seadogg  
#14 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 10:05:19 AM(UTC)
Seadogg

Her normal caregiver is my grandmother who is elderly and unable to take care of her doing this time.

The only leave I’m talking about in this thread is the use of Covid leave. As I’ve mentioned in a post prior to yours, how can she say that both parents can’t be off together but parents who work in separate installations can? Also, I tried asking for a change of schedule so me and my wife could both work and she denied it with her reasoning being “services as needed”. This was after the liberal leave policy was enacted and the extra help was hired. If she knows what she’s doing then I don’t see why she wouldn’t be able to produce documentation to back up her claims.

I’m contacting HR to find out if they know about management’s rights under the FFCA. The apwu website pertains mainly to its members. This thread was created to find out if anyone else knew any other contact to talk besides HR about this topic. I’m trying to educate myself prior to going back to work.

I'm still unclear on why you would need both parents to care for your daughter. Does one of you actually have covid?

The information I was referring to is on lite blue. I can look for it later.
Ihatemanagement  
#15 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 10:08:30 AM(UTC)
Ihatemanagement

United States

I'm still unclear on why you would need both parents to care for your daughter. Does one of you actually have covid?

I guess that’s where I’m confused as well. What does it matter? Shouldn’t me and my wife be treated as separate employees? Why should our marriage be used against us when using this leave? Can it be used against us regarding this leave?

Edit- I went on liteblue and looked for myself. It seems the questionnaire that I’ve been using since the start has been updated and has specific things that are different than before which does change things.

Edited by user Friday, June 19, 2020 10:14:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Seadogg  
#16 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 10:16:12 AM(UTC)
Seadogg

I guess that’s where I’m confused as well. What does it matter? Shouldn’t me and my wife be treated as separate employees? Why should our marriage be used against us when using this leave? Can it be used against us regarding this leave?

I see. You are trying to use the pandemic to receive extra leave that you don't need. You are behaving in a despicable manner and giving us craft employees a bad name. Not really much different from faking an injury or something.

I hope no one here helps you.
MPE2009  
#17 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 10:38:16 AM(UTC)
MPE2009

United States

Was thanked: 618 time(s) in 477 post(s)

Edit- I went on liteblue and looked for myself. It seems the questionnaire that I’ve been using since the start has been updated and has specific things that are different than before which does change things.

The only way parents in two different facilities should be off at the same time for FMLA child care would be through a lack of communication between the facilities and one or both employees concealing the fact that the other parent was simultaneously taking FMLA child care. In other words, it's irrelevant what happens at other facilities, what's wrong is wrong no matter where it happens. So no, you and your wife are not entitled to or at least imo should not be off at the same time to care for a child. If your MDO turned down your request for a COS during this time period, either there really is a service related need or she/he is an a.h and shortsighted(I lean towards the latter). As long as you have all your ducks in a row, she's going to lose one of you regardless. So why not accommodate you and keep both of you at work....
Ihatemanagement  
#18 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 10:41:34 AM(UTC)
Ihatemanagement

United States

The only way parents in two different facilities should be off at the same time for FMLA child care would be through a lack of communication between the facilities and one or both employees concealing the fact that the other parent was simultaneously taking FMLA child care. In other words, it's irrelevant what happens at other facilities, what's wrong is wrong no matter where it happens. So no, you and your wife are not entitled to or at least imo should not be off at the same time to care for a child. If your MDO turned down your request for a COS during this time period, either there really is a service related need or she/he is an a.h and shortsighted(I lean towards the latter). As long as you have all your ducks in a row, she's going to lose one of you regardless. So why not accommodate you and keep both of you at work....

Agreed. I’ve read the updated info so me and my wife will go with the plan we outlined for the rest of the summer.
The denied COS is what drove a wedge between me and my manager. Prior to that she we tolerable and our relationship was platonic.

Edited by user Friday, June 19, 2020 10:42:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ihatemanagement  
#19 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 10:44:35 AM(UTC)
Ihatemanagement

United States

I see. You are trying to use the pandemic to receive extra leave that you don't need. You are behaving in a despicable manner and giving us craft employees a bad name. Not really much different from faking an injury or something.

I hope no one here helps you.

No, I’m just trying to find out if what she’s doing is legal or not. If it is( which is what I just found out) then we adjust accordingly and get on with our lives. I requested a change of schedule at the beginning of this that was denied for illogical reasons. My EEO should take care of the retaliation.
postalvet  
#20 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 12:40:18 PM(UTC)
postalvet

My EEO should take care of the retaliation.

who did you file your eeo against?

if it was not the postmaster general (does not matter who is the named person) then you do not have a case if you are citing the other office.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed