Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bulls1077  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2020 11:55:41 AM(UTC)
bulls1077

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I have a question regarding step increases for HR out there. I was a GG 13 and obtained step 4 in January 2018, and in my last organization I was in the Excepted Service Permanent. I transferred to a Competitive Service organization as the same GS-13 step 4 in August 2019. Here I know I am in Competitive and Career Conditional until I am here for the 3 year probationary period. Shouldn't I still have a step increase from GS 13 Step 4 to GS 13 Step 5 after 2 years? I am still a Step 4 and thought I was supposed to get that step increase to 5 in January 2020. So now I have been a Step 4 for 2.5 years. Will I not get a step increase until I am Permanent in the Competitive Service?
frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 3:26:03 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1054 time(s) in 839 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bulls1077 Go to Quoted Post
I have a question regarding step increases for HR out there. I was a GG 13 and obtained step 4 in January 2018, and in my last organization I was in the Excepted Service Permanent. I transferred to a Competitive Service organization as the same GS-13 step 4 in August 2019. Here I know I am in Competitive and Career Conditional until I am here for the 3 year probationary period. Shouldn't I still have a step increase from GS 13 Step 4 to GS 13 Step 5 after 2 years? I am still a Step 4 and thought I was supposed to get that step increase to 5 in January 2020. So now I have been a Step 4 for 2.5 years. Will I not get a step increase until I am Permanent in the Competitive Service?
Typically, you should have...unless your supervisor actively stopped it for a reason. So...you should reach out to your HR, and ask them (politely) "Hey...I have been a step 4 for 30 months, vs the 24 required. Is there something wrong? Do I need to do something?"

It may turn out to be an oversight...or it could be a very specific reason why (and possibly not good! Like a potential PIP is on its way as you failed a critical element of your performance plan!).

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
bulls1077  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 4:08:41 AM(UTC)
bulls1077

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
It’s definitely not a PIP or anything like that. I got a good rating and even an incentive award. I thought maybe it’s because I went from a GG-13 in excepted service to GS-13 both step 4’s. I also left the former position 6 months before my step would increase.
djp  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 7:21:02 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 155 time(s) in 152 post(s)
If you shifted time between the two complicates it. Thry be looking ay you are GS 4 from the date you started with them, not carrying over time in GG
United7  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2020 8:29:12 AM(UTC)
United7

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bulls1077 Go to Quoted Post

Since you started a new position you will not automatically get a within grade increase. Your performance must be at an acceptable level of competence to meet this requirement. Secondly, your performance appraisal must be at least Level 3 ("Fully Successful" or equivalent). And finally the waiting period for advancement to the next higher step which would be 104 weeks for step 5.

If you started your new position in August 2019, your next WGI would be August 2021 for the step 5.
RVRGRL  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2020 12:34:30 AM(UTC)
RVRGRL

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Still doesn't hurt to ask about it. So far my different jobs have honored my time in service dates--though I'm sure it differs with different agencies
Rss Feed  Atom Feed