Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bpessel  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 11:19:07 AM(UTC)
bpessel

Groups: Registered
United States

Kinda confusing but..
I was a GS 5 Step 1 on a 4/5/6/7 ladder for 11+ months when another job I applied to in my agency closed. The new job is a promotion and a 5/7/9/11.

By the time i interviewed i was a GS 6 Step 1. (If the job closed at this point, This would be mute as I would have had TIG as a 5, but moving on..)

I did get the job and they gave me a GS 5 step 5 to barely beat the pay I was currently getting. I was a GS 6 at that point for 3 months. And promised to raise me to a GS 7 after on boarding.
The current job started in late January of this year. My supervisor did indeed send in the paperwork to raise me to a GS 7 in early February. But COVID hit (or at least that is what was blamed) and we just got word that next PP (July 6) my raise will hit.

My question is.. How does the 2 step rule affect me? Since my current sf-50 says GS 5 Step 5, will I go to 7-1 or 7-5? And will I have to wait till next July 6th to be eligible for GS 9? I am thinking the only reason I wasn't raised in February was because It was put under a pile and forgot about. But Boss showed me that he sent it in February of 2020.
TheRealOrange  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 1:12:12 PM(UTC)
TheRealOrange

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 157 time(s) in 136 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bpessel Go to Quoted Post
I did get the job and they gave me a GS 5 step 5 to barely beat the pay I was currently getting. I was a GS 6 at that point for 3 months. And promised to raise me to a GS 7 after on boarding.

The current job started in late January of this year. My supervisor did indeed send in the paperwork to raise me to a GS 7 in early February. But COVID hit (or at least that is what was blamed) and we just got word that next PP (July 6) my raise will hit.

My question is.. How does the 2 step rule affect me? Since my current sf-50 says GS 5 Step 5, will I go to 7-1 or 7-5? And will I have to wait till next July 6th to be eligible for GS 9? I am thinking the only reason I wasn't raised in February was because It was put under a pile and forgot about. But Boss showed me that he sent it in February of 2020.

Assuming the two-step rule is applied, I think you would go from GS-5, step 5, to GS-7, step one. I say that because adding the two steps results in a pay rate at GS-5, step 7, and the GS-7, step 1 rate exceeds the GS-5, step 7 rate. I would also guess that you will need at least 52 weeks at your promoted grade (GS-7) before being eligible for a promotion to a GS-9. I don't think it will matter that your promotion to GS-7 was delayed. Others here are much more versed in human resources matters than I am, so perhaps they will see options I have missed.
thanks 1 user thanked TheRealOrange for this useful post.
bpessel on 6/24/2020(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed