Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DHS

The Department of Homeland Security has a vital mission: to secure the nation from the many threats we face. This requires the dedication of more than 230,000 employees in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. [Their] duties are wide-ranging, but [their] goal is clear: keeping America safe. (source: www.dhs.gov)

Perhaps you are working for the DHS or interested in working for the DHS. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DHS.

5 Pages«<2345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
justa.test  
#61 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2020 5:57:34 AM(UTC)
justa.test

Groups: Registered
Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: athena79 Go to Quoted Post
Any updates internally about the upcoming furloughs in regard to this article?

https://www.govexec.com/...ancial-situation/167081/

Nothing internally yet, but I doubt this changes anything. Leahy and Tester haven't taken into account that this money basically only sets the agency up to stay afloat from one pay period to the next. It could change at any point if there is a dip in applications filed and a furlough would still need to happen. In that case, the agency would have less than 30 days notice to furlough. Add to that, I've heard that there is anticipation that we will see a drop in filings starting in september with change in fiscal year for many companies.
ISOapplicant  
#62 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2020 9:00:11 AM(UTC)
ISOapplicant

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mike in VT Go to Quoted Post

There won't be anything internally until just before Aug. 3. I interpret this article as "USCIS will definitely be furloughed".

I think it puts the onus back on USCIS to kick the furlough can down the road until October or officially present compelling reasons as to why it can't rely on available funding until that date. Personally, I'd rather just get the furlough out of the way now instead of have this hanging over our head for another couple months.
thanks 2 users thanked ISOapplicant for this useful post.
justa.test on 7/22/2020(UTC), Mike in VT on 7/23/2020(UTC)
Eternal-Itch  
#63 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2020 2:09:54 AM(UTC)
Eternal-Itch

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: athena79 Go to Quoted Post
Any updates internally about the upcoming furloughs in regard to this article?

https://www.govexec.com/...ancial-situation/167081/

There won't be anything internally until just before Aug. 3. I interpret this article as "USCIS will definitely be furloughed".

Couldn't agree more, this is exactly how I read it. Not sure why the email was sent out last week in the first place.
Eternal-Itch  
#64 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2020 2:12:04 AM(UTC)
Eternal-Itch

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ISOapplicant Go to Quoted Post

I think it puts the onus back on USCIS to kick the furlough can down the road until October or officially present compelling reasons as to why it can't rely on available funding until that date. Personally, I'd rather just get the furlough out of the way now instead of have this hanging over our head for another couple months.

Yes! If they're going to do it, just get it done and over with. No need to keep people anxious and guessing for a couple more months.

Edited by user Thursday, July 23, 2020 2:14:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: add content

tpadul  
#65 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2020 4:55:53 AM(UTC)
tpadul

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Well my anxiety waiting for my furlough is off the charts. Indiana caps our weekly unemployment to $390 a week, doesn't look like the $600 weekly extra stimulus is going to be renewed so I'll be getting about 25% of my net take home pay if they don't extend that $600 a week stimulus benefit. Fortunately my mortgage company is awesome and I've already been approved for a 6 month forbearance of my mortgage.

I requested the retention register and information related to my furlough as mentioned in our furlough letters, we had a right to ask to see the information but so far HROC is just giving me the run around, the local HR in our District just giving me a canned response. They don't want to release the information to us and our furlough notices say that we have a right to see the information that was used to make their decision.

Has anyone here that received a furlough notice received the retention registers from their directorate?
Megs2693  
#66 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2020 8:51:25 AM(UTC)
Megs2693

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 12 post(s)
https://www.samessenger....a-a98d-477d1c703b09.html

Now they're postponed until Aug 31? Anyone else IRATE that we have to read about this in the news? How hard is it to send us an email updating us with what's been going on. NOT impressed with how this has been handled, particularly within the last week.
justa.test  
#67 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2020 8:55:36 AM(UTC)
justa.test

Woman
United States

Originally Posted by: Megs2693 Go to Quoted Post
https://www.samessenger.com/news/leahy-uscis-furloughs-postponed-another-month/article_ebf0c42e-cdcb-11ea-a98d-477d1c703b09.html

Now they're postponed until Aug 31? Anyone else IRATE that we have to read about this in the news? How hard is it to send us an email updating us with what's been going on. NOT impressed with how this has been handled, particularly within the last week.

IRATE right along with you.
tpadul  
#68 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2020 9:55:45 AM(UTC)
tpadul

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Yep!! they did not send it to me via email until 12:08pm CST
Mike in VT  
#69 Posted : Saturday, July 25, 2020 7:16:42 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 85 time(s) in 80 post(s)
Originally Posted by: justa.test Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Megs2693 Go to Quoted Post
https://www.samessenger.com/news/leahy-uscis-furloughs-postponed-another-month/article_ebf0c42e-cdcb-11ea-a98d-477d1c703b09.html

IRATE right along with you.

I'm sure it's due to Leahy's office leaking it early, not so much that USCIS is delayed in sending out notification.

I'd rather get the furlough over with. It's likely going to happen, whether it's August, September, October or November. Though, September or October would be nice since the whether will be milder.

Edited by user Saturday, July 25, 2020 7:19:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Heathersmiles844  
#70 Posted : Sunday, July 26, 2020 8:11:07 AM(UTC)
Heathersmiles844

Antigua and Barbuda

I still have hope that increased revenue and emergency funding from Congess will lead to furlough being cancelled. Idk...maybe I'm naive.

Edited by user Sunday, July 26, 2020 8:21:49 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Mike in VT  
#71 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2020 6:15:49 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Heathersmiles844 Go to Quoted Post
I still have hope that increased revenue and emergency funding from Congess will lead to furlough being cancelled. Idk...maybe I'm naive.

I'm not sure about the increased revenue as we will assuredly go through a second run of COVID in the country. BUT, there's a decent chance of the Congressional funding. I think that will be discussed during Wednesday's session, if I'm not mistaken.
lakid20  
#72 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2020 3:30:27 PM(UTC)
lakid20

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Looks like the $1.2 billion is part of the HEALS act (draft released by Senate Republicans):

https://www.appropriatio...onavirus-funding-package

https://www.appropriatio...mmary%20-%20FINAL%20.pdf (summary of sections)

https://www.appropriatio...o/media/doc/TJS05MAH.PDF (pg. 168 - language of bill)

Now all of this will need to be negotiated with the Democratic leadership, house & senate, and then of course, would be subject to a vote if there is an agreement on both sides. Can they get this done before August 7th? Who knows.
Heathersmiles844  
#73 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2020 12:45:04 PM(UTC)
Heathersmiles844

Antigua and Barbuda

With no continuing negotiations, it appears we're screwed.

Edited by user Saturday, August 8, 2020 6:15:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gopeder  
#74 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2020 9:14:27 AM(UTC)
Gopeder

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
What I don't understand is why only certain states get extra unemployment pay? $100 from state and $200 from the federal gov't. Don't they know how expensive rent is for those that work at the VSC? I hate the RIF # being there. Makes me so scared. Sixty days is a long long time not to know if it is time to move which I do not want to do. keeping up production while getting unemployment information daily doesn't help motivate to go any faster. Now the contractors are getting scared too.
ISOapplicant  
#75 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2020 5:07:17 AM(UTC)
ISOapplicant

United States

Whether we go through with the furlough or not, what are the odds that we see layoffs over the next year? While I hear that filings have rebounded somewhat, it's not clear to me that they have rebounded enough to justify current staffing levels.
Gopeder  
#76 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2020 9:37:26 AM(UTC)
Gopeder

United States

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I could not agree with you more. Congress passed the bill, to increase some of the form fees yesterday, and hopefully the Senate will do the same Tuesday, when they go back. However, there is no mention of the loan being approved and if it was to be approved the backlog is not enough work to keep everyone around. Very concerned here. I keep looking a the Rif # even if they had to put it on there by law.
Mike in VT  
#77 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2020 9:40:34 AM(UTC)

For those who are nervous about this furlough...
Do you best to only worry about the things we can control that have an impact on our future employment (i.e. work product). Now that we know that our performance rating has significant impact on our RIF date, that should be motivation enough. The furlough will not go over 30 days, it could be even shorter than that...if we even have one that is.
ISOapplicant  
#78 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2020 11:05:21 AM(UTC)
ISOapplicant

United States

Do you best to only worry about the things we can control that have an impact on our future employment (i.e. work product). Now that we know that our performance rating has significant impact on our RIF date, that should be motivation enough. The furlough will not go over 30 days, it could be even shorter than that...if we even have one that is.

That's good to know that it won't go over 30 days. I haven't been given any information at all on the expected duration. All I have is the notice stating that it could go for 90 days (at which point I was assuming it could either be renewed or we'd see more severe RIF actions).
Mike in VT  
#79 Posted : Tuesday, August 25, 2020 3:51:14 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: ISOapplicant Go to Quoted Post

That's good to know that it won't go over 30 days. I haven't been given any information at all on the expected duration. All I have is the notice stating that it could go for 90 days (at which point I was assuming it could either be renewed or we'd see more severe RIF actions).

The language in the furlough notice, is blanket language. They have to put that warning in there. The senate will return next month and will pass what the House has already approved.
ISOapplicant  
#80 Posted : Tuesday, August 25, 2020 7:57:04 AM(UTC)
ISOapplicant

United States

Furlough cancelled for now. Very good news. I will probably be happy once the emotional exhaustion has subsided.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed