Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Silverstein  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 10:09:17 AM(UTC)
Silverstein

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Soapbox time, I am sick and tired of being made fun of and being punished for doing my job correctly.

I always get flak from my co workers for being “slow” but in reality I just follow the rules, I use my seatbelt, I deliver everything as best as I can, I follow the book to the nines, and the runners who break every rule in the book get back hours earlier than they should and talk smack to everyone there about how slow I am and how my legs must have fell off....

I’m getting sick and tired of getting back the office soaked in sweat and hurting, and seeing these guys do 10 hours of work in 6 hours and not a drop of sweat on them.

Lately to get back at me they’ve been sticking me with the biggest pivots and then laughing about that too. I’ve been keeping my cool and just do my thing, but seeing guys who have less than half the time in the post office as I do basically act like I’m just screwing around out there are starting to weaken my will.

Should I keep on keeping on or should I just try to transfer to an office that cares about an honest days work for an honest days pay?

Roger.D  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 10:26:25 AM(UTC)
Roger.D

United States

Was thanked: 963 time(s) in 743 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Silverstein Go to Quoted Post
Soapbox time, I am sick and tired of being made fun of and being punished for doing my job correctly.

I always get flak from my co workers for being “slow” but in reality I just follow the rules, I use my seatbelt, I deliver everything as best as I can, I follow the book to the nines, and the runners who break every rule in the book get back hours earlier than they should and talk smack to everyone there about how slow I am and how my legs must have fell off....

I’m getting sick and tired of getting back the office soaked in sweat and hurting, and seeing these guys do 10 hours of work in 6 hours and not a drop of sweat on them.

Lately to get back at me they’ve been sticking me with the biggest pivots and then laughing about that too. I’ve been keeping my cool and just do my thing, but seeing guys who have less than half the time in the post office as I do basically act like I’m just screwing around out there are starting to weaken my will.

Should I keep on keeping on or should I just try to transfer to an office that cares about an honest days work for an honest days pay?

Move to work assignment.

I have not experienced this from co-workers. I have bid into routes that I knew where overburdened. I would work them "by the book" and take the OT. After a management gave me crap for the same things others in the office are doing, I would drop from the WA list.

I did have a T-6 complain that I "needed to learn to get my route done". Oh well, he needed to go to 8 only if he didn't want the OT. I'm sure he was happy when I finally had the route cut by 45 minutes.
thanks 1 user thanked Roger.D for this useful post.
Silverstein on 6/28/2020(UTC)
Your NBA  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 10:32:48 AM(UTC)
Your NBA

Was thanked: 1386 time(s) in 956 post(s)

Last first. There is no such office. Do not transfer. You situation will be worse if you give up your seniority.

Solution. If you want OT be on the list. If you don't, don't be on the list. And don't worry about anyone. You will handle this best if you view it as a war with your fellow carriers who are trying to use you to get what they want--either perks/adoration from management, more favorable assignments, or you doing the worst thing possible, which would be to transfer and hand them the victory of having your seniority.

Rub your seniority in their faces. Do your job with the joy of knowing that as long as your are doing your job correctly there is not a damn thing anyone can do to you. And if someone does think such a silly thought, laugh at them both internally and externally. This will make you the winner and will cause the distress to be on your enemies, not you. Remember, if you let them make you upset they win. You want to be sure they are the ones who are the upset losers.

Enjoy your victory.
thanks 2 users thanked Your NBA for this useful post.
Gordon Craig Massengill on 6/28/2020(UTC), Silverstein on 6/28/2020(UTC)
Seadogg  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 10:42:51 AM(UTC)
Seadogg

Was thanked: 656 time(s) in 440 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Your NBA Go to Quoted Post

Last first. There is no such office. Do not transfer. You situation will be worse if you give up your seniority.

Solution. If you want OT be on the list. If you don't, don't be on the list. And don't worry about anyone. You will handle this best if you view it as a war with your fellow carriers who are trying to use you to get what they want--either perks/adoration from management, more favorable assignments, or you doing the worst thing possible, which would be to transfer and hand them the victory of having your seniority.

Rub your seniority in their faces. Do your job with the joy of knowing that as long as your are doing your job correctly there is not a damn thing anyone can do to you. And if someone does think such a silly thought, laugh at them both internally and externally. This will make you the winner and will cause the distress to be on your enemies, not you. Remember, if you let them make you upset they win. You want to be sure they are the ones who are the upset losers.

Enjoy your victory.

It's possible OP didn't actually mean transfer, and was talking about bidding to another station within the installation; in which case they would not lose their seniority.

But yeah, I agree that searching for better coworkers wouldn't be a good reason for an actual transfer, where you lose seniority. Especially in a job where you spend most of your time on the street.
thanks 1 user thanked Seadogg for this useful post.
Silverstein  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 10:43:46 AM(UTC)
Silverstein

OT is flowing plentiful right now at 6 days a week and I’m trying to stay the course, thanks for your Input so far guys I appreciate it.

I found this helpful for me if anyone likes stoicism.

Every difficulty in life presents us with an opportunity to turn inward and to invoke our own submerged inner resources. The trials we endure can and should introduce us to our strengths. —Epictetus
Your NBA  
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 11:11:35 AM(UTC)
Your NBA

Was thanked: 1386 time(s) in 956 post(s)
OT is flowing plentiful right now at 6 days a week and I’m trying to stay the course, thanks for your Input so far guys I appreciate it.

I found this helpful for me if anyone likes stoicism.

Every difficulty in life presents us with an opportunity to turn inward and to invoke our own submerged inner resources. The trials we endure can and should introduce us to our strengths. —Epictetus

I am all for whatever works for you. I have found when people in the USPS won't leave you alone that stickitto'emism is more fun than stoicism. With mgmt, it is usually helpful to give them what they think they want. Then they regret messing with you. With coworkers, use whatever gets under their skin to bring joy to yourself and pain to them.

If they don't like it, they should mind their own business and/or stop trying to harm you or use you to improve their lot/get promotions.

Bottom line in the USPS: You are not number one. You are the ONLY one. Ef everyone else if they bother you. Remember, they are looking out for themselves and don't give a damn about you. So you have to be the best at their game if you want to win or, better yet, cause them to lose.
thanks 1 user thanked Your NBA for this useful post.
122intheshade  
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 12:32:45 PM(UTC)
122intheshade

Pitcairn
Location: Bankin' off of the northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Was thanked: 620 time(s) in 499 post(s)
I learned this back when I was a CCA. But, it took awhile to sink in, and before I got my mind right I would get extremely irritated.

My office had 50 routes at the time (55 now, at least 60 next year). And as a CCA I delivered them all, and cased almost all. It takes a long time to case a route you don't know, and extra time to deliver, since you don't always know what you're looking for.

And the supervisors would constantly hassle you to "be back by 6" or whatever time they want you back by. And you might skip a bathroom break or a lunch to make it. And a lot of time you just ain't gonna make it.

In the end, I find it easier to agree with them most of the time in the morning, and then call in the afternoon to say how much longer you'll be. Sometimes they will send some help or tell you to just go on, and sometimes they'll <SIGH> and give you the "why are you taking so long" or "come on!".

But, what I figured out - came to use as my shield - in my second year as a CCA is: THEY PAY YOU TO BE FRUSTRATED.

That long green flavor makes the rest of the sandwich taste a lot better.

Stick it out. When you get your own route, the sun will come out, you'll learn the secret handshake and get your key to the flagpole.

Until then, keep in mind the words of the sage Bill Murray: "That's true, you're absolutely right".
We decide which is right; and which is an illusion. I've got blisters on me fingers!
thanks 1 user thanked 122intheshade for this useful post.
HoosierDaddy  
#8 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 1:15:02 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 51 post(s)

What you need to do is stop worrying about what everyone else says or does. You can't control what they say or do, but you can control how you deal with it. Just do your job the right way and stop worrying about everyone else.

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
postalvet  
#9 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 1:15:59 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 3012 time(s) in 2396 post(s)

just keep doing what you are doing.
Postal retired 38yrs Just Sayin' Black Live's Matter #dumptrump2020 wear your mask
thanks 1 user thanked postalvet for this useful post.
Endless Summer  
#10 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 1:17:21 PM(UTC)
Endless Summer

Was thanked: 253 time(s) in 217 post(s)
It's very common.

You've got a bunch of slackers who feel threatened by the fact that someone is able to do the job properly. They really need to get you to be as useless as them because it's easier to drag you down to their level than it is for them to rise to your level.
thanks 1 user thanked Endless Summer for this useful post.
Silverstein  
#11 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 1:22:36 PM(UTC)
Silverstein

Thanks for the insight, I dont think going to another office would be the best idea and I think I will ride it out, after all I am a T6 still but when a good route comes open out of all these routes I should get what I want, and the haters can hate, either they will get promoted to manager or fired for misconduct. Not my problem...
GordonG  
#12 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 1:47:01 PM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 1204 time(s) in 774 post(s)
Somebody has to come in last.
"Fear, not clemency, restrains the wicked."

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
Roger.D  
#13 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 2:57:38 PM(UTC)
Roger.D

United States

Originally Posted by: GordonG Go to Quoted Post

What do you call the student at the bottom of the class in medical school?
craigrh13  
#14 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 3:09:34 PM(UTC)
craigrh13

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 104 post(s)

Just because someone is more efficient at their job doesn’t mean they are breaking the rules. That’s the biggest misconception out there. Some people just know how to be efficient which naturally speeds everything up. From organizing the truck, their tray, how they pull down, etc. There’s many tricks to this to make it naturally faster.
GordonG  
#15 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 3:30:02 PM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 1204 time(s) in 774 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Roger.D Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: GordonG Go to Quoted Post

What do you call the student at the bottom of the class in medical school?

Doctor!!!
"Fear, not clemency, restrains the wicked."

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Roger.D on 6/28/2020(UTC)
Silverstein  
#16 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 4:37:07 PM(UTC)
Silverstein

Originally Posted by: craigrh13 Go to Quoted Post

Just because someone is more efficient at their job doesn’t mean they are breaking the rules. That’s the biggest misconception out there. Some people just know how to be efficient which naturally speeds everything up. From organizing the truck, their tray, how they pull down, etc. There’s many tricks to this to make it naturally faster.

I’m not that slow, I make it back in 8 often, sometimes with a small pivot but not all the time...

This is not the case unfortunately they brag about doing all kinds of stuff I won’t get into.

Edited by user Sunday, June 28, 2020 4:41:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Forgot to add some stuff

thanks 1 user thanked Silverstein for this useful post.
craigrh13 on 6/28/2020(UTC)
craigrh13  
#17 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 4:55:27 PM(UTC)
craigrh13

I’m not that slow, I make it back in 8 often, sometimes with a small pivot but not all the time...

This is not the case unfortunately they brag about doing all kinds of stuff I won’t get into.

Yes. There are some who cut corners. There’s some who are slow on purpose to “protect their route” and to milk overtime. There’s also some who are just naturally fast. I am one of those. I come from a fast paced background and I just naturally get into a rhythm. I don’t run. I don’t skip breaks. I just make sure I am efficient and hold myself to a standard.
Silverstein  
#18 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 5:06:49 PM(UTC)
Silverstein

Yes. There are some who cut corners. There’s some who are slow on purpose to “protect their route” and to milk overtime. There’s also some who are just naturally fast. I am one of those. I come from a fast paced background and I just naturally get into a rhythm. I don’t run. I don’t skip breaks. I just make sure I am efficient and hold myself to a standard.

I understand, I’m the same way, just wish I wasn’t stuck cleaning up after these “fast carriers” so much , just wish they’d do their job instead of trying to go home early. Ill have it better once I get off of T6 I hope!
Roger.D  
#19 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 5:19:53 PM(UTC)
Roger.D

United States

I bet if I secretly watched you I would fine numerous unsafe acts. You have been doing them sense your first bday, so you don't recognize them.

I see them in every day life. Passing construction sites. In Walmart.....

The other day I walked out of a store and heard a buzzing sound. 99.9% of the population would not hear it. Even with the traffic it stuck out. I look up and see the insulator problem on a power pole. The line laying on top of the pole. I am surprised I didn't hear it going in. I might have been concentrating on what I was there for.

craigrh13  
#20 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 5:23:26 PM(UTC)
craigrh13

Originally Posted by: Roger.D Go to Quoted Post

I bet if I secretly watched you I would fine numerous unsafe acts. You have been doing them sense your first bday, so you don't recognize them.

I see them in every day life. Passing construction sites. In Walmart.....

The other day I walked out of a store and heard a buzzing sound. 99.9% of the population would not hear it. Even with the traffic it stuck out. I look up and see the insulator problem on a power pole. The line laying on top of the pole. I am surprised I didn't hear it going in. I might have been concentrating on what I was there for.

I am sure there is. That could be said of anyone. I have never had anything to me on ride alongs and I deliver the exact same way I normally do.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed