Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LameUsername  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 11:50:24 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Are there any forum members who have insight into the practical duties of these jobs?

I have an interview and am also interested in potential questions. My DoD installation does S&T and T&E for various programs, so it's not a traditional acquisition program manager position. This is a new role intended to manage the major ops and maintenance service contract.

A secondary question: if I wanted to eventually end up on an SES or SL career track in a business processes field, would a position like this end up looking better than an equivalent series and grade in a Plans & Programs office (resource planning and requirements identification)?

Any questions, thoughts, or advice are welcomed.

frankgonzalez  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 6:10:30 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1054 time(s) in 839 post(s)
Standing up a new role successfully is always a good thing. I'm the first person in my position, and several of the things I have done in my location have been expanded across my whole agency. While I never considered SES as being a possibility (especially with my lack of formal higher education, and especially in an agency where PhDs are a dime a dozen!), I have had several SESers encourage me to apply to the executive leadership training my agency offers and my supervisor sent me to a short executive leadership course and I've had some executive coaching. I'm still not certain I want to go that path, but I'm glad to have discovered it isn't closed to me if I decide to go for it.

Look at what impact you can have in this new role. What is the depth and breadth of the impact to the local mission and the agency mission? Can you do something that will have lasting impact and improve from the current status quo? If you can have a wide-reaching positive impact, then this will be useful step towards SES or SL. If not...look elsewhere, especially if this is simply a lateral for you. If it's a promotion, then go for it.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
LameUsername  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 7:47:39 AM(UTC)

Thanks for that response, frank.

It would be a promotion, but I'm also part of the established succession plan of the branch I'm in now, which I enjoy. We're talking less than a year difference of reaching that level.
The new role will help revolutionize the way we do business here locally, but I have doubts that it would be appreciated outside the fence. Agency HQ probably doesn't realize we aren't doing it.

The succession plan role is my comfort zone and allows for more interaction with various stakeholders outside the fence, but it's also a niche position.
We coded this one and my current position 1101 to ensure it was easily recognizeable.

Similarly, frank, I'm not sure if SES/SL is a path I want to pursue, but I want to prepare as if it is an option.

Edited by user Monday, June 29, 2020 7:49:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 8:51:55 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1054 time(s) in 839 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LameUsername Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for that response, frank.

It would be a promotion, but I'm also part of the established succession plan of the branch I'm in now, which I enjoy. We're talking less than a year difference of reaching that level.
The new role will help revolutionize the way we do business here locally, but I have doubts that it would be appreciated outside the fence. Agency HQ probably doesn't realize we aren't doing it.

The succession plan role is my comfort zone and allows for more interaction with various stakeholders outside the fence, but it's also a niche position.
We coded this one and my current position 1101 to ensure it was easily recognizeable.

Similarly, frank, I'm not sure if SES/SL is a path I want to pursue, but I want to prepare as if it is an option.
Please remember, unless you are on a ladder position, your promotion in a succession plan is not guaranteed (I've bumped someone in the past who thought they had the promotion locked up and already in their pocket!).

It sounds like you are at an acquisition center or research center, and while the agency HQ may not know this is happening, if the position is developed properly, it could impact other similar centers (as they see how useful this role is), and this has a positive impact on the agency (ie via more efficient processes and thereby lowering overall costs in administration of the contracts, research, etc), this could be a good thing.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
LameUsername  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 9:06:03 AM(UTC)

Yes, my second level supervisor is aware that I typically take a "bird in the hand" approach.
The succession plan is not a ladder, but that is his true intent. Cannot control for the unknown of course, hence my reservations.

I think I'd like to force a discussion about our hiring/retention practices. I'm a single point of failure for the group I'm in now- if I leave, they are crippled for the next two years.
Seems silly to poach from inside your own organization if it breaks something important.

Also seems silly for me to be thinking this much about it when I haven't even had the interview yet.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed