Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
z165012  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 2:36:30 PM(UTC)
z165012

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 36 post(s)
so a week ago I put in a funds transfer to fully go back into the G from the 2050 and the C...they actually processed it at COB on Monday, and now begins another ride down as Corona goes up...

I believe the 'new' 5 year funds start on the 1st...I don't think ill get out of the G for at least another month...

should see another spike in unemployment, and more businesses closing that wont reopen...

Im not perfect on my timing, but I was able to pad my TSP a bit this year...the market was battered this week...

anyone else like me and jump out of stocks recently?

I bought into the 2050 at $19.47, got out at $21.60...

so I bought as it was going up, so I got in late, and I sold late missing out on another $0.65 a share, but im ok with that, $2 a share in a couple months is nothing to sneeze at, as the only money I put 'at risk' is the money the PO has thrown at me and my gains on said money...
craigrh13  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 2:45:50 PM(UTC)
craigrh13

Was thanked: 126 time(s) in 111 post(s)
I’m staying in the C and S. I checked with a couple of my friends who are Financial advisors and they both said to hold the line. It’s worked for me in the past and will continue to work. Now on the other hand, If Biden wins in November I’ll be switching to the G fund which is what they advised me as well. A solid 15-20% stock fall is predicted with a Biden win. I am not trying to be political at all but it is what it is.
Roger.D  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 2:56:18 PM(UTC)
Roger.D

United States

Was thanked: 970 time(s) in 747 post(s)
I increased my contributions about 2 months ago to 25% from 8%. 90C/10G

I expect an overall flat market for the next year or more. With several dips/drops. Perfect buying opportunity for someone with a long horizon

You will be better off with a 50/50 mix than trying to time the market. And you won't be fretting about when to make your move.
shackmaster  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 3:05:58 PM(UTC)
shackmaster

Was thanked: 180 time(s) in 143 post(s)
Stop being so concerned with the daily ups and downs. You must think long term. My suggestion - with your current holdings split it between G and F to add to your age (so if you are 30 years old put 15% in each), and then put the remainder in the L fund closest to your retirement. Then, with the bi-weekly contributions split it between C,S,and your L fund. Then forget about it. Look at your quarterly statements and then every year or so make adjustments based on your age change. Market timing is a fool's errand for 99% of people and if you are looking at your balance everyday you will just give yourself heartache when it goes down.
Blahblah  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 5:32:55 PM(UTC)
Blahblah

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Regardless of what happens, I still commit between $500-800 each paycheck to my TSP. The ups and downs do not influence how much I commit:
Roger.D  
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 6:00:50 PM(UTC)
Roger.D

United States

Originally Posted by: Blahblah Go to Quoted Post
Regardless of what happens, I still commit between $500-800 each paycheck to my TSP. The ups and downs do not influence how much I commit:

I'm sure you are aware, the maximum yearly contribution is $19,500. An additional $6,500 if you are over age 50.

$19,500 devided by 26 pay periods is $750.

It would be a shame to miss out on the match.
Zoso...  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 3:40:27 AM(UTC)
Zoso...

Man
United States

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 26 post(s)
Originally Posted by: z165012 Go to Quoted Post
so a week ago I put in a funds transfer to fully go back into the G from the 2050 and the C...they actually processed it at COB on Monday, and now begins another ride down as Corona goes up...

I believe the 'new' 5 year funds start on the 1st...I don't think ill get out of the G for at least another month...

should see another spike in unemployment, and more businesses closing that wont reopen...

Im not perfect on my timing, but I was able to pad my TSP a bit this year...the market was battered this week...

anyone else like me and jump out of stocks recently?

I bought into the 2050 at $19.47, got out at $21.60...

so I bought as it was going up, so I got in late, and I sold late missing out on another $0.65 a share, but im ok with that, $2 a share in a couple months is nothing to sneeze at, as the only money I put 'at risk' is the money the PO has thrown at me and my gains on said money...

Since you are on the sidelines, I would stay on the sidelines. The Federal Bank has directly and indirectly pumped close to 8 trillion into the market. We have the third largest stock bubble ever (2000, 2008). Stock valuations are at an all-time low.
So it is not a question of if it will crash but when. My guess is that when it becomes apparent that Donny boy will lose the election, he'll tell Powell to pull the plug on this zombie market... thus leaving a big as mess as possible for Biden to clean up.

We will get some kind of other stimulus package which will prop it up a bit, but as soon as the payment protection act and unemployment benefits are cut at the end of July, we will start spiraling down until the actual crash...IMO.
thanks 1 user thanked Zoso... for this useful post.
Kickjump on 6/30/2020(UTC)
EagleDog  
#8 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 4:23:58 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 74 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Zoso... Go to Quoted Post
So it is not a question of if it will crash but when. My guess is that when it becomes apparent that Donny boy will lose the election, he'll tell Powell to pull the plug on this zombie market

We get it.
Orange man bad.
Love him or hate him, the stock market (along with all our TSP's) soared to all-time highs under his leadership.
Facts matter.

There have been gloom and doom predictions (wishful thinking) throughout his term and literally even before he took office.
Remember Paul Krugman (New York Times columnist and Nobel Prize-winning economist) on Election Night 2016?

===========

"It really does now look like President Donald J. Trump, and markets are plunging. When might we expect them to recover? If the question is when markets will recover, a first-pass answer is never.

Under any circumstances, putting an irresponsible, ignorant man who takes his advice from all the wrong people in charge of the nation with the world’s most important economy would be very bad news. What makes it especially bad right now, however, is the fundamentally fragile state much of the world is still in, eight years after the great financial crisis.

So we are very probably looking at a global recession, with no end in sight...on economics, as on everything else, a terrible thing has just happened."

- Paul Krugman (Election Night 2016)

https://www.nytimes.com/...man-the-economic-fallout
craigrh13  
#9 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 4:54:58 AM(UTC)
craigrh13

Originally Posted by: EagleDog Go to Quoted Post
So it is not a question of if it will crash but when. My guess is that when it becomes apparent that Donny boy will lose the election, he'll tell Powell to pull the plug on this zombie market

We get it.
Orange man bad.
Love him or hate him, the stock market (along with all our TSP's) soared to all-time highs under his leadership.
Facts matter.

There have been gloom and doom predictions (wishful thinking) throughout his term and literally even before he took office.
Remember Paul Krugman (New York Times columnist and Nobel Prize-winning economist) on Election Night 2016?

===========

"It really does now look like President Donald J. Trump, and markets are plunging. When might we expect them to recover? If the question is when markets will recover, a first-pass answer is never.

Under any circumstances, putting an irresponsible, ignorant man who takes his advice from all the wrong people in charge of the nation with the world’s most important economy would be very bad news. What makes it especially bad right now, however, is the fundamentally fragile state much of the world is still in, eight years after the great financial crisis.

So we are very probably looking at a global recession, with no end in sight...on economics, as on everything else, a terrible thing has just happened."

These liberal fools will
literally screw theirself financially and wish bad upon America just to make President Trump
look bad....and cry that he’s the one being divisive. They are garbage. All of them.
HoosierDaddy  
#10 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 5:33:54 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 73 time(s) in 55 post(s)
Trump doesn't need any help making himself look bad. He's doing a excellent job of that with no help from anyone else.
You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out.
thanks 2 users thanked for this useful post.
postalvet on 6/29/2020(UTC), Kickjump on 6/30/2020(UTC)
Zoso...  
#11 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 5:40:06 AM(UTC)
Zoso...

Man
United States

We get it.
Orange man bad.
Facts matter.

===========

Yes facts do matter, under Trump the stock market is up a little over 25%. Under Obama, it went up almost 150%.

postalvet on 6/29/2020(UTC)
Zoso...  
#12 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 5:47:32 AM(UTC)
Zoso...

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: craigrh13 Go to Quoted Post

We get it.
Orange man bad.
Facts matter.

===========

These liberal fools will
literally screw theirself financially and wish bad upon America just to make President Trump
look bad....and cry that he’s the one being divisive. They are garbage. All of them.

To be called a fool by you means that I must be doing something right.

And no, I'm doing quite well in this market, thank you very much.

Hey Craig13, about time for you to stick your head back up your azz and turn on Hannity and Tucker.
Blahblah  
#13 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 6:27:18 AM(UTC)
Blahblah

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Roger.D Go to Quoted Post

I'm sure you are aware, the maximum yearly contribution is $19,500. An additional $6,500 if you are over age 50.

What match would I be missing out on?
EagleDog  
#14 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 6:31:10 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 74 post(s)
under Trump the stock market is up a little over 25%

Good point.
A global pandemic literally paralyzed the entire world and their economies towards the end of his first term.
Adversely affecting the record setting economy that he led for 3 plus years.

Edited by user Monday, June 29, 2020 7:02:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HoosierDaddy  
#15 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 6:48:36 AM(UTC)

Trump and his followers want all the credit when things are going good, but none of the responsibility when things start to go bad.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
craigrh13  
#16 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 7:04:43 AM(UTC)
craigrh13

Originally Posted by: HoosierDaddy Go to Quoted Post
Trump and his followers want all the credit when things are going good, but none of the responsibility when things start to go bad.

Are you seriously blaming the global recession on Trump? I realize you hate America and are betting against it but come on. Even the most liberal economists give trump credit for the economy boom.

Remember when Obama
told us the economy was as good as it was going to get and we should get used to 5% unemployment as it’s the new normal? Yeah....I do.
Roger.D  
#17 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 7:56:37 AM(UTC)
Roger.D

United States

"IF" you contributed more than $19,500 by November, you would not be able to make any additional contributions for the rest of the year. Thus you would not receive the agency match for those pay periods.

You might get the 1% automatic. But not the additional 4%.
thanks 1 user thanked Roger.D for this useful post.
RodOrRob on 6/29/2020(UTC)
HoosierDaddy  
#18 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 8:33:35 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: HoosierDaddy Go to Quoted Post

Are you seriously blaming the global recession on Trump? I realize you hate America and are betting against it but come on. Even the most liberal economists give trump credit for the economy boom.

Remember when Obama
told us the economy was as good as it was going to get and we should get used to 5% unemployment as it’s the new normal? Yeah....I do.
As I have told you many times before you need to work on your reading comprehension.

The recession wasn't even on my mind, but now that you bring it up does Trump deserve most of the blame? Absolutely, In the beginning he did next to nothing to slow the spread of covid-19, but instead pretended it would go away after 10 or 15 cases. If he would have made the right call back in February the country would be in a much better position than it currently is, but because of his willful ignorance we are in a terrible situation that is only getting worse.

As for the economic boom, it doesn't take a genius to realize if you cut corporate taxes to next to nothing the economy is going to pick up, but it does take someone with at least half a brain to realize that it takes more than a good economy to successfully run a country.

As we currently stand Trump is going to go down in history as the most incompetent president ever and he will have no one to blame for it but himself. For someone who has stated several times they are not a big fan of Trump you sure do spend a lot of time trying to defend him against his own incompetence.

And to believe anyone who criticizes Trump hates America. It's called freedom of speech, It's one of the many reasons I love America. Talk about you ignorance sheep.

thanks 2 users thanked for this useful post.
postalvet on 6/29/2020(UTC), Zoso... on 6/29/2020(UTC)
postalvet  
#19 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 8:46:20 AM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 3019 time(s) in 2402 post(s)

"IF" you contributed more than $19,500 by November, you would not be able to make any additional contributions for the rest of the year. Thus you would not receive the agency match for those pay periods.

You might get the 1% automatic. But not the additional 4%.

more info here

https://www.tsp.gov/Plan...ypesOfContributions.html

"Your catch-up contributions will stop automatically when you reach the catch-up contribution limit or at the end of the calendar year, whichever comes first."
Postal retired 38yrs Just Sayin' Black Live's Matter #dumptrump2020 wear your mask
Southernclerk  
#20 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 11:24:32 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 39 post(s)
I’m staying in the C and S. I checked with a couple of my friends who are Financial advisors and they both said to hold the line. It’s worked for me in the past and will continue to work. Now on the other hand, If Biden wins in November I’ll be switching to the G fund which is what they advised me as well. A solid 15-20% stock fall is predicted with a Biden win. I am not trying to be political at all but it is what it is.

Same here.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed