Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ashulein  
#21 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2020 6:07:58 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/8/2013(UTC)
Posts: 530

Thanks: 18 times
Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Originally Posted by: bncounter Go to Quoted Post
Again, I sympathize with what you guys are going through but is the level of distain shown towards OP warranted because you've been burden with a lot of responsibilities while shorthanded? That's not OP's fault. I think you should redirect that level of distain to senior management.

I agree that tax questions should not be posted on this site. But how is OP's question a "tax question"? I guess when I read that forum rule I've always understood it to mean that one cannot post a tax question that requires accounting or tax expertise that may result in a response in the form of tax/legal advice (ie "Can i claim my dependent on my taxes?"). Personally, I wouldn't volunteer myself to address such questions on a public forum either. But when I read OP's inquiry, it appears that she's seeking some explanation as to why her refund is late. That type of question doesn't require any legal or tax expertise to answer. Obviously, no one (including OP I'm sure)is expecting anyone to research her personal tax info (that's illegal) or access insider info to address her inquiry. It may be just enough to respond by saying that the pandemic has likely hampered staffing levels and just leave it at that. Or simply post a link to the IRS's website that directly addresses OP's inquiry. If OP needs specifics that cannot be address, then you can simply direct her to call the IRS by posting the 800 number or provide the taxpayer advocate contact info (like someone did earlier).

The point I'm making is that I'm having difficulty seeing how OP's inquiry is a tax question. There's nothing in her inquiry that requires any tax/legal expertise to address it. That's all I'm saying.

I just don't understand why people are having such a hissy fit over something like this. If someone's that annoyed or upset by what OP's posted, then they should have just moved on by ignoring her post in the first place. No one's being forced to do anything against their will.




I have been trying really hard to temper myself in this entire thread and even deleted a previous post that I made this past weekend because I found it to be too counterproductive. With that being said I can not disagree with you more emphatically. Why would I "redirect my disdain to senior management?" "Not the OP's fault." I'm sorry but did senior management hold the OP's "hubby" at gunpoint and make them point a not so veiled complaint letter on two threads with the obvious intention of getting a response? Well, look what happened... they got a response. Not the one they wanted... well, maybe they should have picked their words substantially more carefully. Maybe they should have respected the community that posts on this forum.

I see your account has been around since 2016 and you have only posted a couple dozen times. That is fine but I am curious why suddenly this is the topic that is worth your attention. I know why I am posting. I am posting because "this is not a place to ask tax questions" means a whole lot more than the most literal interpretation that you clearly ascribe to. How many people on the Post Office Federal Soup forum want a random person showing up complaining about the Post Office and mail delivery?.. I know I haven't posted there because my packages have been late these past multiple months. How many USDA employees want a random person showing complaining about how the Forest Service is slow rolling a timber sale because of a lack of staffing? How many NPS employees want a random person showing up complaining that the National Parks are closed because COVID-19? How many DHS employees want a random crazy showing up complaining that their 25 complaints about the aliens having landed is going uninvestigated? You get it?

This forum is for government employees who are looking to share experience, working conditions, current events, and questions in a productive manner that benefits the whole while also being directed to the applicable agency. Anyone who has spent any time working for any bureaucracy can appreciate how factual and respectful information sharing is needed when the official communication lines are difficult. And that right there is the ONLY THING that I can appreciate about the OP... that their official communications lines are difficult. But be that as it may, again, this forum is NOT for Personal Tax Issues.

This forum is not for people to complain, voice their frustrations, disrespect, insult ("Ferris, Ferris"... I could easily return that one in kind with the actual movie quote) from the outside in. It does not matter that the person is 70. It does not matter that they don't have money. It does not matter that they are a retired federal employee. It does not matter that they don't know what to do. It does not matter that they like doing things a certain way. It does not matter that feel one way or another and just can't contain it anymore. This forum, for this issue, is not for them. Why? Because it detracts from actual IRS Employees learning from each other about what is going on around the country in these times down the rabbit hole, as well as any other number of PERTINENT topics.

This site is not the OP's accountant, priest, therapist, friend, confidant, or obligated sympathizer. It they are looking for something like that I suggest they spend the money, time, and energy cultivating it. Beyond that there is NOTHING from stopping them from the official channels (ie- irs.gov or calling the main line)... can't get through... can't find what they are looking for... again, it does not matter. The OP (mostly because Boop! is a much better human than I am) was given far more answers and far more empathy than they deserve. I would feel for the packaging of the message if I had any tears left for people who choose NOT to come correct and intentionally disregard the nature of their audience.

If they are looking for something else well, they can google IRS Pissed and have fun with the drain circlers on that website. Too lowbrow, how about reddit or facebook, tweet it out, yahoo message boards, Eve online, and/or every other space that the Interweb can provide. But NOT here because here are IRS employees trying to assist IRS employees with issues PERTINENT TO THEIR JOBS. Directing the OP "by saying that the pandemic has likely hampered staffing levels and just leave it at that. Or simply post a link to the IRS's website that directly addresses" is what people do all day long on the main line, while they are getting PAID... Why should they encourage someone in their off hours who clearly doesn't respect the people they are talking to? Why should the people who actually drive the actual purpose of this forum "ignore their post in the first place?"

You want to help the OP... you feel for the OP... great, private message them and dedicate yourself to DIRECTLY assisting them with their issue. But kindly do not imply that people are having a "hissy fit" just because they are calling BS where it exists. Kindly stop justifying the OP and either help them or not... but be forewarned if you don't, well, it says exactly how much you care.

My apologies to all reading this as this post clearly is a detraction from what this forum should be about as well.

Edited by user Monday, July 13, 2020 7:22:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
SnarkyWitch on 7/20/2020(UTC)
smithandjones  
#22 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2020 6:25:26 PM(UTC)

Rank: Advisor

Groups: Registered
Joined: 7/1/2011(UTC)
Posts: 128

Thanks: 2 times
Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I sent mine to Ogden, Utah the first week of February. Not a peep since then. If I knew there was going to be a pandemic I might have filed electronically. But no way I would ever pay money for software to file my taxes. Scratching some numbers on paper is a lot easier than fussing through passwords and software I don’t care what you say.

But I really don’t care when they dig mine up so don’t yell at me. I truly hope you’re not detailing over at SBA defending that mess.



scottyd27  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, July 15, 2020 8:12:17 AM(UTC)
scottyd27

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 3/20/2018(UTC)
Posts: 673
United States

Thanks: 17 times
Was thanked: 209 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ashulein Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: bncounter Go to Quoted Post
Again, I sympathize with what you guys are going through but is the level of distain shown towards OP warranted because you've been burden with a lot of responsibilities while shorthanded? That's not OP's fault. I think you should redirect that level of distain to senior management.

I agree that tax questions should not be posted on this site. But how is OP's question a "tax question"? I guess when I read that forum rule I've always understood it to mean that one cannot post a tax question that requires accounting or tax expertise that may result in a response in the form of tax/legal advice (ie "Can i claim my dependent on my taxes?"). Personally, I wouldn't volunteer myself to address such questions on a public forum either. But when I read OP's inquiry, it appears that she's seeking some explanation as to why her refund is late. That type of question doesn't require any legal or tax expertise to answer. Obviously, no one (including OP I'm sure)is expecting anyone to research her personal tax info (that's illegal) or access insider info to address her inquiry. It may be just enough to respond by saying that the pandemic has likely hampered staffing levels and just leave it at that. Or simply post a link to the IRS's website that directly addresses OP's inquiry. If OP needs specifics that cannot be address, then you can simply direct her to call the IRS by posting the 800 number or provide the taxpayer advocate contact info (like someone did earlier).

The point I'm making is that I'm having difficulty seeing how OP's inquiry is a tax question. There's nothing in her inquiry that requires any tax/legal expertise to address it. That's all I'm saying.

I just don't understand why people are having such a hissy fit over something like this. If someone's that annoyed or upset by what OP's posted, then they should have just moved on by ignoring her post in the first place. No one's being forced to do anything against their will.




I have been trying really hard to temper myself in this entire thread and even deleted a previous post that I made this past weekend because I found it to be too counterproductive. With that being said I can not disagree with you more emphatically. Why would I "redirect my disdain to senior management?" "Not the OP's fault." I'm sorry but did senior management hold the OP's "hubby" at gunpoint and make them point a not so veiled complaint letter on two threads with the obvious intention of getting a response? Well, look what happened... they got a response. Not the one they wanted... well, maybe they should have picked their words substantially more carefully. Maybe they should have respected the community that posts on this forum.

I see your account has been around since 2016 and you have only posted a couple dozen times. That is fine but I am curious why suddenly this is the topic that is worth your attention. I know why I am posting. I am posting because "this is not a place to ask tax questions" means a whole lot more than the most literal interpretation that you clearly ascribe to. How many people on the Post Office Federal Soup forum want a random person showing up complaining about the Post Office and mail delivery?.. I know I haven't posted there because my packages have been late these past multiple months. How many USDA employees want a random person showing complaining about how the Forest Service is slow rolling a timber sale because of a lack of staffing? How many NPS employees want a random person showing up complaining that the National Parks are closed because COVID-19? How many DHS employees want a random crazy showing up complaining that their 25 complaints about the aliens having landed is going uninvestigated? You get it?

This forum is for government employees who are looking to share experience, working conditions, current events, and questions in a productive manner that benefits the whole while also being directed to the applicable agency. Anyone who has spent any time working for any bureaucracy can appreciate how factual and respectful information sharing is needed when the official communication lines are difficult. And that right there is the ONLY THING that I can appreciate about the OP... that their official communications lines are difficult. But be that as it may, again, this forum is NOT for Personal Tax Issues.

This forum is not for people to complain, voice their frustrations, disrespect, insult ("Ferris, Ferris"... I could easily return that one in kind with the actual movie quote) from the outside in. It does not matter that the person is 70. It does not matter that they don't have money. It does not matter that they are a retired federal employee. It does not matter that they don't know what to do. It does not matter that they like doing things a certain way. It does not matter that feel one way or another and just can't contain it anymore. This forum, for this issue, is not for them. Why? Because it detracts from actual IRS Employees learning from each other about what is going on around the country in these times down the rabbit hole, as well as any other number of PERTINENT topics.

This site is not the OP's accountant, priest, therapist, friend, confidant, or obligated sympathizer. It they are looking for something like that I suggest they spend the money, time, and energy cultivating it. Beyond that there is NOTHING from stopping them from the official channels (ie- irs.gov or calling the main line)... can't get through... can't find what they are looking for... again, it does not matter. The OP (mostly because Boop! is a much better human than I am) was given far more answers and far more empathy than they deserve. I would feel for the packaging of the message if I had any tears left for people who choose NOT to come correct and intentionally disregard the nature of their audience.

If they are looking for something else well, they can google IRS Pissed and have fun with the drain circlers on that website. Too lowbrow, how about reddit or facebook, tweet it out, yahoo message boards, Eve online, and/or every other space that the Interweb can provide. But NOT here because here are IRS employees trying to assist IRS employees with issues PERTINENT TO THEIR JOBS. Directing the OP "by saying that the pandemic has likely hampered staffing levels and just leave it at that. Or simply post a link to the IRS's website that directly addresses" is what people do all day long on the main line, while they are getting PAID... Why should they encourage someone in their off hours who clearly doesn't respect the people they are talking to? Why should the people who actually drive the actual purpose of this forum "ignore their post in the first place?"

You want to help the OP... you feel for the OP... great, private message them and dedicate yourself to DIRECTLY assisting them with their issue. But kindly do not imply that people are having a "hissy fit" just because they are calling BS where it exists. Kindly stop justifying the OP and either help them or not... but be forewarned if you don't, well, it says exactly how much you care.

My apologies to all reading this as this post clearly is a detraction from what this forum should be about as well.


What this person said. I 2nd.

Also like to point out to the people saying ‘they are over 70 and that’s how people that age file’.

When they had no problem googling federal soup, creating a user ID and password then logging on to pitch a *****.

If they can do that they can freaking E-file
SnarkyWitch  
#24 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2020 12:46:51 AM(UTC)
SnarkyWitch

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/6/2014(UTC)
Posts: 28
United States

Thanks: 10 times
Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: smithandjones Go to Quoted Post
I sent mine to Ogden, Utah the first week of February. Not a peep since then. If I knew there was going to be a pandemic I might have filed electronically. But no way I would ever pay money for software to file my taxes. Scratching some numbers on paper is a lot easier than fussing through passwords and software I don’t care what you say.

But I really don’t care when they dig mine up so don’t yell at me. I truly hope you’re not detailing over at SBA defending that mess.





OK don't e-file but understand that if you don't type those numbers into a computer, someone at the IRS does. Paper return takes 6-8 weeks, any mistakes in your scratching or their typing add another 6 weeks, and a 6 week building shut down, add that in, add in that those doing the typing are likely other retired Feds because the job only lasts about 4-6 months a year. Our mail & processing units have had at least 1 new COVID case every week since we reopened, which means sending people home, disinfecting and starting over again. The 'I won't spend $20 to file' is something to direct at your congressperson not irs employees, we don't get a say, H&R Block etal has a bigger lobby than we do.
thanks 2 users thanked SnarkyWitch for this useful post.
Marie93 on 7/21/2020(UTC), kitkatma on 7/27/2020(UTC)
Papoose79  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2020 8:36:57 PM(UTC)
Papoose79

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/4/2014(UTC)
Posts: 245
Woman
United States

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ashulein Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: bncounter Go to Quoted Post
Again, I sympathize with what you guys are going through but is the level of distain shown towards OP warranted because you've been burden with a lot of responsibilities while shorthanded? That's not OP's fault. I think you should redirect that level of distain to senior management.

I agree that tax questions should not be posted on this site. But how is OP's question a "tax question"? I guess when I read that forum rule I've always understood it to mean that one cannot post a tax question that requires accounting or tax expertise that may result in a response in the form of tax/legal advice (ie "Can i claim my dependent on my taxes?"). Personally, I wouldn't volunteer myself to address such questions on a public forum either. But when I read OP's inquiry, it appears that she's seeking some explanation as to why her refund is late. That type of question doesn't require any legal or tax expertise to answer. Obviously, no one (including OP I'm sure)is expecting anyone to research her personal tax info (that's illegal) or access insider info to address her inquiry. It may be just enough to respond by saying that the pandemic has likely hampered staffing levels and just leave it at that. Or simply post a link to the IRS's website that directly addresses OP's inquiry. If OP needs specifics that cannot be address, then you can simply direct her to call the IRS by posting the 800 number or provide the taxpayer advocate contact info (like someone did earlier).

The point I'm making is that I'm having difficulty seeing how OP's inquiry is a tax question. There's nothing in her inquiry that requires any tax/legal expertise to address it. That's all I'm saying.

I just don't understand why people are having such a hissy fit over something like this. If someone's that annoyed or upset by what OP's posted, then they should have just moved on by ignoring her post in the first place. No one's being forced to do anything against their will.




I have been trying really hard to temper myself in this entire thread and even deleted a previous post that I made this past weekend because I found it to be too counterproductive. With that being said I can not disagree with you more emphatically. Why would I "redirect my disdain to senior management?" "Not the OP's fault." I'm sorry but did senior management hold the OP's "hubby" at gunpoint and make them point a not so veiled complaint letter on two threads with the obvious intention of getting a response? Well, look what happened... they got a response. Not the one they wanted... well, maybe they should have picked their words substantially more carefully. Maybe they should have respected the community that posts on this forum.

I see your account has been around since 2016 and you have only posted a couple dozen times. That is fine but I am curious why suddenly this is the topic that is worth your attention. I know why I am posting. I am posting because "this is not a place to ask tax questions" means a whole lot more than the most literal interpretation that you clearly ascribe to. How many people on the Post Office Federal Soup forum want a random person showing up complaining about the Post Office and mail delivery?.. I know I haven't posted there because my packages have been late these past multiple months. How many USDA employees want a random person showing complaining about how the Forest Service is slow rolling a timber sale because of a lack of staffing? How many NPS employees want a random person showing up complaining that the National Parks are closed because COVID-19? How many DHS employees want a random crazy showing up complaining that their 25 complaints about the aliens having landed is going uninvestigated? You get it?

This forum is for government employees who are looking to share experience, working conditions, current events, and questions in a productive manner that benefits the whole while also being directed to the applicable agency. Anyone who has spent any time working for any bureaucracy can appreciate how factual and respectful information sharing is needed when the official communication lines are difficult. And that right there is the ONLY THING that I can appreciate about the OP... that their official communications lines are difficult. But be that as it may, again, this forum is NOT for Personal Tax Issues.

This forum is not for people to complain, voice their frustrations, disrespect, insult ("Ferris, Ferris"... I could easily return that one in kind with the actual movie quote) from the outside in. It does not matter that the person is 70. It does not matter that they don't have money. It does not matter that they are a retired federal employee. It does not matter that they don't know what to do. It does not matter that they like doing things a certain way. It does not matter that feel one way or another and just can't contain it anymore. This forum, for this issue, is not for them. Why? Because it detracts from actual IRS Employees learning from each other about what is going on around the country in these times down the rabbit hole, as well as any other number of PERTINENT topics.

This site is not the OP's accountant, priest, therapist, friend, confidant, or obligated sympathizer. It they are looking for something like that I suggest they spend the money, time, and energy cultivating it. Beyond that there is NOTHING from stopping them from the official channels (ie- irs.gov or calling the main line)... can't get through... can't find what they are looking for... again, it does not matter. The OP (mostly because Boop! is a much better human than I am) was given far more answers and far more empathy than they deserve. I would feel for the packaging of the message if I had any tears left for people who choose NOT to come correct and intentionally disregard the nature of their audience.

If they are looking for something else well, they can google IRS Pissed and have fun with the drain circlers on that website. Too lowbrow, how about reddit or facebook, tweet it out, yahoo message boards, Eve online, and/or every other space that the Interweb can provide. But NOT here because here are IRS employees trying to assist IRS employees with issues PERTINENT TO THEIR JOBS. Directing the OP "by saying that the pandemic has likely hampered staffing levels and just leave it at that. Or simply post a link to the IRS's website that directly addresses" is what people do all day long on the main line, while they are getting PAID... Why should they encourage someone in their off hours who clearly doesn't respect the people they are talking to? Why should the people who actually drive the actual purpose of this forum "ignore their post in the first place?"

You want to help the OP... you feel for the OP... great, private message them and dedicate yourself to DIRECTLY assisting them with their issue. But kindly do not imply that people are having a "hissy fit" just because they are calling BS where it exists. Kindly stop justifying the OP and either help them or not... but be forewarned if you don't, well, it says exactly how much you care.

My apologies to all reading this as this post clearly is a detraction from what this forum should be about as well.


Best response yet! I work at the TAC, but I have been at a service center with a mail room detail, which makes me a lot more protective of my coworkers! Our lives matter as well!

Daily I find myself breaking it down for the folks that don't understand! FYI the OP IS ASKING what we call a person tax question that should be referred to the main phone line that's available Monday thru Friday from 7am to 7pm their local time.
thanks 2 users thanked Papoose79 for this useful post.
Marie93 on 7/23/2020(UTC), kitkatma on 7/27/2020(UTC)
EagleDog  
#26 Posted : Sunday, August 2, 2020 12:07:03 PM(UTC)

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/5/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,354

Thanks: 110 times
Was thanked: 230 time(s) in 190 post(s)
IRS statement on interest payments

Interest on individual 2019 refunds reflected on returns filed by July 15, 2020 will generally be paid from April 15, 2020 until the date of the refund. Interest payments may be received separately from the refund. By law, the interest rate on both overpayment and underpayment of tax is adjusted quarterly. The interest rate for the second quarter, ending on June 30, 2020, is 5% per year, compounded daily. The interest rate for the third quarter, ending September 30, 2020, is 3% per year, compounded daily.

https://www.irs.gov/news...ent-on-interest-payments
:
Don't be ashamed of your postal career.
:
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
ashulein on 8/2/2020(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 Pages<12
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 0.535 seconds.