Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jfknight  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 19, 2020 6:13:22 PM(UTC)
jfknight

Groups: Registered

I was offered a lateral position at customs as a non supervisor 12. Yet I was just offered a 13 supervisor spot at my current agency. I'm expected to start my gs 12 position in customs in the end of the month but not sure what to do with this promotion. Could I use this promotion to a 13 as leverage to start the customs job as a 13?
FatHappyCat  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2020 1:38:14 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 114 time(s) in 98 post(s)
Only if the position was designated as a 12-13. If it's a straight 12, then there would be no room for negotiation.
FrankJr  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2020 6:54:39 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 116 post(s)
Originally Posted by: jfknight Go to Quoted Post
I was offered a lateral position at customs as a non supervisor 12. Yet I was just offered a 13 supervisor spot at my current agency. I'm expected to start my gs 12 position in customs in the end of the month but not sure what to do with this promotion. Could I use this promotion to a 13 as leverage to start the customs job as a 13?

What to do? Accept the promotion...
jfknight  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2020 7:23:26 AM(UTC)
jfknight

To get a 13 position with customs as opposed to the 12 offered to me originally.
frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2020 8:06:23 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1065 time(s) in 849 post(s)
To get a 13 position with customs as opposed to the 12 offered to me originally.
Probably won't happen. Positions can't be created out of thin air. And there has to be GS13 level work for the position. SO...your best bet is to simply take the GS13 you have the offer for, and later on, look for a -13 or a 14 back to Customs...if you decide to return.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
jfknight  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2020 2:12:07 PM(UTC)
jfknight

I never worked at Customs so I'm not intending to return there. Rather I was just offered a job there but got a promotion at my current agency. However I was to work at customs and since I haven't officially started there I thought perhaps there was more room to negotiate. Not sure if that was clear in my first post. If not a 13 spot could I negotiate a 12 with a higher step to match a 13 since I haven't officially started the job yet?
hemihem  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2020 3:57:52 PM(UTC)
hemihem

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 66 post(s)
I'm a little confuse, so please correct me if I got this incorrectly. Your current position has offered you a promotion to GS 13, you know the position, but you also accepted a position with Customs, you don't know the position.

You would like Customs to match your newly, but not proven success I.E. 52 weeks, GS 13 pay.

Short answer no, Customs would not match your potential pay.

jfknight  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2020 5:03:09 PM(UTC)
jfknight

Correct. I just know their gs structure us different and they have also already put in time/money in my clearancr so I thought they may want to match.
SD Analyst  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2020 5:45:25 PM(UTC)
SD Analyst

Was thanked: 423 time(s) in 362 post(s)
Correct. I just know their gs structure us different and they have also already put in time/money in my clearancr so I thought they may want to match.

From what I hear from local guys, you don't want to go there. Stay with your Agency for the 13.
FatHappyCat  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2020 2:27:19 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 114 time(s) in 98 post(s)
I never worked at Customs so I'm not intending to return there. Rather I was just offered a job there but got a promotion at my current agency. However I was to work at customs and since I haven't officially started there I thought perhaps there was more room to negotiate. Not sure if that was clear in my first post. If not a 13 spot could I negotiate a 12 with a higher step to match a 13 since I haven't officially started the job yet?

If you're already GS then you can't negotiate given that the progression system is rock solid.

Ironically, were you to actually ACCEPT that 13 and hold that grade for a year, you could of actually taken the downgrade with the higher 13 pay that you most likely would have gotten; weird system....

Rss Feed  Atom Feed