Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Training and Certification

Whether you want to improve your skills, boost your resume or prepare for a new job opportunity, training and certification programs and resources can help you achieve your goals. With the right program and resource, you will be more productive and this will help you climb the career ladder.

Here is a forum to ask questions about a particular program, to exchange insight on which is the right training, to share which certifications are the best to attain, to seek out what to do first, and to offer recommendations to others.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CubicalCMDR  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2020 6:04:03 AM(UTC)
CubicalCMDR

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Is an inactive CPA license just as good active when seeking a competitive promotion. How about an inactive CPA in Maryland, seeking competitive promotion in California vs active CPA license in CA? The context is IRS Agent. TKS in-advance for any comments.
ex-military  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2020 7:56:45 AM(UTC)
ex-military

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 94 post(s)
It may depend on what they want. Is the active license a requirement for the job? Even if it isn't, if it comes down to an Active License holder vs. an Inactive License, I think they might lean toward the Active.

Personally, I keep mine active even though its not necessarily required. Just easier all around.

Just my two cents.

Edited by user Wednesday, July 22, 2020 7:57:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked ex-military for this useful post.
CubicalCMDR on 7/22/2020(UTC)
SoylentGreen  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 7, 2020 9:15:55 AM(UTC)
SoylentGreen

United States

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 32 post(s)
In my experience, the IRS didn't seem to care whether I had a CPA or not. I am a former IRS revenue agent and a current CPA. That may have changed. Do you need it satisfy basic accounting requirements for the position?

Edited by user Friday, August 7, 2020 9:17:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CubicalCMDR  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 7, 2020 10:37:02 AM(UTC)
CubicalCMDR

Man
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
TKS - basic requirements satisfied with accounting and tax classes....too bad CPA and law licenses are state by state and not nation wide like Enrolled Agent.
SoylentGreen  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2020 1:55:22 PM(UTC)
SoylentGreen

United States

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CubicalCMDR Go to Quoted Post
TKS - basic requirements satisfied with accounting and tax classes....too bad CPA and law licenses are state by state and not nation wide like Enrolled Agent.

But CPA licenses typically can be used in "substantially equivalent" states (which is most states, and at least you can hold yourself out as a CPA) as long as you meet the criteria for your state of licensure. My license is in Colorado, but I now work and live in Indiana. Colorado allows non-residents to hold Colorado CPA licenses. Even then, I can apply for license by reciprocation in the new state in most instances. Yes, there's a couple of extra steps, but you can keep your CPA if you want in most cases.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 11, 2020 1:56:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed