Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Postal Employees

Post your thoughts and opinions here about current Postal employee topics.

5 Pages<12345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
122intheshade  
#41 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 12:27:56 PM(UTC)
122intheshade

Groups: Registered
Pitcairn
Location: Bankin' off of the northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

Was thanked: 653 time(s) in 526 post(s)
What everyone here is missing, is that the PO is like every other government agency.

It's not supposed to be efficient. It does the job it needs to do.

If the job was that plain and simple, management and unions would not have a separate manual to explain how each other's manuals mesh.

Occasionally, there's that government logic of "we have to burn the village to save it".

Check out your local police union's contract. You'll find all sorts of goodies that have nothing to do with the job, but make sense overall.
Might be some time for working out. Time for union activities.
Years ago, Philadelphia found out that its municipal workers were getting an average of one day off a WEEK for this holiday or that purpose.

The job is what it is, the contracts are what they are. I've only been a postal worker for 10 years. So, some of you longer-serving folks, tell us what has changed, management-wise, efficiency-wise, in the last 30 years. I'm not talking about mechanical efficiencies such as DPS or bigger postal vehicles, or technological changes like bar codes and scanners and self-serve kiosks.

What has changed from a purely management, top-down PMG to office managers to supervisors to carriers perspective, that makes our job better to the public?
We decide which is right; and which is an illusion. I've got blisters on me fingers!
thanks 1 user thanked 122intheshade for this useful post.
postalvet on 7/28/2020(UTC)
postalvet  
#42 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 12:38:04 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 3052 time(s) in 2432 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Just Cause Go to Quoted Post
[

easy now! Old grumpy will come and attack you with the anti-union remark.

CAN YOU MAKE ANY POST NOT CRAPPING ON ME??????????????????

you are a liar

I STILL POST ON QUICKTOPIC!!!!

you just have to hi-jack another post.

want me to stop?

DELETE THE CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by user Tuesday, July 28, 2020 12:39:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

answers come from experience

Was a carrier despite what

Just Cause & rodger.d say

no one else has to prove anything

rip rbg
Just Cause  
#43 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 12:51:15 PM(UTC)
Just Cause

Was thanked: 388 time(s) in 310 post(s)
This covid-19 can affect people in different ways. One is their mental stability. I am not talking about the virus in the body, but the environment we are having caused by the virus. Here we have a perfect example.
(1-800-327-4968) 800-EAP-4YOU karen 24/7
If karen carried mail b4, then karen should know this.
What is under a carrier case?
Kickjump  
#44 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 12:53:50 PM(UTC)
Kickjump

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Where our office struggling is the plant cutoff times and what the leaves us with.

Yesterday I had an entire tray of raw letters for my route. Then I am instructed to leave them. Even though there is preferential letters. I fill out my 1571 per management request, make a copy, and tag it for next day. Only authorized to work 8 hours even though I am curtailing (not standard!) mail also leave parcels and sprs that we’re not completed in time.

Come in today same thing and exact same thing happens full tray of raw letters. So what do we do you might ask; per management, take advos, case both trays, and run crazy OT.
All the while there was an intentional delay of letters and denied justified OT the day prior. I don’t get paid to make decisions but damn it makes you wanna drink just thinking of how they come up with this stuff
craigrh13  
#45 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 12:54:14 PM(UTC)
craigrh13

Was thanked: 170 time(s) in 143 post(s)
Originally Posted by: 122intheshade Go to Quoted Post
What everyone here is missing, is that the PO is like every other government agency.

It's not supposed to be efficient. It does the job it needs to do.

If the job was that plain and simple, management and unions would not have a separate manual to explain how each other's manuals mesh.

Occasionally, there's that government logic of "we have to burn the village to save it".

Check out your local police union's contract. You'll find all sorts of goodies that have nothing to do with the job, but make sense overall.
Might be some time for working out. Time for union activities.
Years ago, Philadelphia found out that its municipal workers were getting an average of one day off a WEEK for this holiday or that purpose.

The job is what it is, the contracts are what they are. I've only been a postal worker for 10 years. So, some of you longer-serving folks, tell us what has changed, management-wise, efficiency-wise, in the last 30 years. I'm not talking about mechanical efficiencies such as DPS or bigger postal vehicles, or technological changes like bar codes and scanners and self-serve kiosks.

What has changed from a purely management, top-down PMG to office managers to supervisors to carriers perspective, that makes our job better to the public?

You’re right. Just like any other government situation there’s far too much red tape, inefficiency and fat. As far as I’m concerned they need to dig deep and re think everything. These little band aid fixes aren’t going to fix everything. It doesn’t help that the postal
unions are a complete pain in the ass and do nothing to help efficiency or cost savings. Basically what I am
saying is we NEED a fresh start. There’s garbage from the top to the bottom.
craigrh13  
#46 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 12:55:41 PM(UTC)
craigrh13

Originally Posted by: Kickjump Go to Quoted Post
Where our office struggling is the plant cutoff times and what the leaves us with.

Yesterday I had an entire tray of raw letters for my route. Then I am instructed to leave them. Even though there is preferential letters. I fill out my 1571 per management request, make a copy, and tag it for next day. Only authorized to work 8 hours even though I am curtailing (not standard!) mail also leave parcels and sprs that we’re not completed in time.

Come in today same thing and exact same thing happens full tray of raw letters. So what do we do you might ask; per management, take advos, case both trays, and run crazy OT.
All the while there was an intentional delay of letters and denied justified OT the day prior. I don’t get paid to make decisions but damn it makes you wanna drink just thinking of how they come up with this stuff

How long does it take to case up a tray of letters? Not long right? Don’t make much sense.
craigrh13  
#47 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 12:58:54 PM(UTC)
craigrh13

Originally Posted by: poorfamily Go to Quoted Post
What I can't understand is that how many toilets can a custodian clean in 8 hours? In one station, the custodian disappeared after he clocked in. One time while I was on the street, I spotted him do groceries shopping. Maybe if the management is a little brighter, they could have one custodian to clean 2 stations in 8 hours. They would still have plenty of time to snooze off.

But Craig says it's not up to management, custodians have to find their own work ethic. Apparently management is toothless to make craft work or to discipline anybody because of the big bad unions. If only there were no unions....

Imagine if craft policed their own instead of defending terrible employees. Quit blaming management for everything.
craigrh13  
#48 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 1:00:16 PM(UTC)
craigrh13

Originally Posted by: PTFPete Go to Quoted Post
The ESAS test will probably go the way of Consolidated Casing - another failed, costly experiment. BTW, anyone know if the remaining 31 Consolidated Casing test sites are also integrating ESAS?

I hope not. I am enjoying this. It’s amazing how many people are suddenly getting their work done in 8 hours.
Kickjump  
#49 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 1:04:10 PM(UTC)
Kickjump

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I see some here think this is a good idea and I’m sure in a small attending office that’s fully staffed and well managed it really could go great. But please don’t forget that in an office that’s large, or short staffed already, or has a lack of leadership to help new carriers adjust to this, it is a hot dumpster fire.

Rolling mail in a bad shape office is like digging your own grave everyday you report to work.
craigrh13  
#50 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 1:36:35 PM(UTC)
craigrh13

I see some here think this is a good idea and I’m sure in a small attending office that’s fully staffed and well managed it really could go great. But please don’t forget that in an office that’s large, or short staffed already, or has a lack of leadership to help new carriers adjust to this, it is a hot dumpster fire.

Rolling mail in a bad shape office is like digging your own grave everyday you report to work.

My office was down 25% of its routes this morning. Still got out in 8. I do have respectable supervisors who will listen to you and ask for your opinion on how to beat get the work done though. Plus we have some
horses that work and carry the slack
of others.
thanks 1 user thanked craigrh13 for this useful post.
Kickjump on 7/28/2020(UTC)
postalvet  
#51 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 1:44:23 PM(UTC)
postalvet

Was thanked: 3052 time(s) in 2432 post(s)
This covid-19 can affect people in different ways. One is their mental stability. I am not talking about the virus in the body, but the environment we are having caused by the virus. Here we have a perfect example.

not quoting me does NOT change who you direct the post too!!!!!!!!

keep on hi-jacking every post here.

i still post on quicktopic so you are a liar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what does this mean?
"My life matter the most."????

did you forget the "s" on matters or can you not write?

Edited by user Tuesday, July 28, 2020 1:47:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

answers come from experience

Was a carrier despite what

Just Cause & rodger.d say

no one else has to prove anything

rip rbg
Zoso...  
#52 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 2:43:53 PM(UTC)
Zoso...

Man
United States

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 49 post(s)
What I have been concerned about from the start is that our new PG is more concerned about helping Trump than he is helping the post office. At a time when the president is clearly against any form of mail-in ballots, it is suspicious, at least to me, that Dejoy's first act is to degrade our service. My whole career, our motto, either stated or implied, has been 'every piece, every day.' That's part of the reason we are the most trusted government agency. That's part of the reason we are the most liked government agency. All of that good will goes away when it becomes obvious that our new de facto policy is 'you get it when you get it.'

Edited by user Tuesday, July 28, 2020 2:44:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Crying won't help you, praying won't do you no good.
thanks 1 user thanked Zoso... for this useful post.
postalvet on 7/28/2020(UTC)
Randy1  
#53 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 6:17:55 PM(UTC)
Randy1

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Zoso... Go to Quoted Post
What I have been concerned about from the start is that our new PG is more concerned about helping Trump than he is helping the post office. At a time when the president is clearly against any form of mail-in ballots, it is suspicious, at least to me, that Dejoy's first act is to degrade our service.

Apparently you didn't read the PMG's statement.

"To start with, we must better adhere to our existing operating plans, which were developed precisely to ensure that we meet our service standards in an efficient and effective manner. It is evident that the Postal Service has the ability to improve in that area.

On the day that I was sworn in as Postmaster General by our Board of Governors, the Postal Service Inspector General issued a report entitled “U.S. Postal Service’s Processing Network Optimization and Service Impacts.” In that report our Inspector General indicated that the Postal Service spent $1.1 billion in mail processing overtime and penalty overtime, $280 million in late and extra transportation, and $2.9 billion in delivery overtime and penalty overtime costs in FY 2019. Yet, even after incurring these additional costs, the Postal Service has not seen material improvement in our service performance scores."

Edited by user Tuesday, July 28, 2020 6:23:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Your NBA  
#54 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 6:19:41 PM(UTC)
Your NBA

Was thanked: 1523 time(s) in 1066 post(s)
Originally Posted by: craigrh13 Go to Quoted Post

How long does it take to case up a tray of letters? Not long right? Don’t make much sense.

However long anything takes has nothing to do with when management has it done. All that has changed in our office with the new rules is that we are doing stuff at a different time of the day. But it all pays the same. 8 hours, 10 hours, or 12 hours of work pays the same no matter what you doing during those 8, 10, or 12 hours. If you are casing on penalty time instead of straight time and carrying on straight time instead of penalty time the paycheck looks the same.

I assume they are saving money by having transportation on time, but I also know how hard a time many contractors have had trying to wring their extra pay out of the USPS for having them stay late. So the contractors are probably thrilled to be on time. I don't know how many contractors have complained to me and I tell them the only thing worse than being an employee trying to get what you are supposed to be paid is being a contractor trying to get paid by the USPS. I have even had to deal with a customer of my business asking me how to get paid by the USPS for long past-due bills. How do you tell a customer of your business that the Postmaster they ask about is a known thief and was actually put in management training after pleading no contest to stealing mail?????
Your NBA  
#55 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 6:28:37 PM(UTC)
Your NBA

Was thanked: 1523 time(s) in 1066 post(s)
Originally Posted by: craigrh13 Go to Quoted Post

My office was down 25% of its routes this morning. Still got out in 8. I do have respectable supervisors who will listen to you and ask for your opinion on how to beat get the work done though. Plus we have some
horses that work and carry the slack
of others.

Sounds like maybe your routes are short. Someone on here was bragging about having something like a 23 BMI and walking 7 or 8 miles on his mail route every day. That is what many carriers would call a very short route. I know carriers with BMIs well over 30 who walk a dozen and more miles every day. That is why these forums are often silly. People bragging about doing in 8 hours what people over 300 pounds do by lunch. And the 300 plus pound carriers definitely don't skip lunch to get their routes done!
Themailman001  
#56 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 6:56:42 PM(UTC)
Themailman001

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
We clock in at 8 and the clerks finish sorting spurs and packages around 9:15. We can delay the spurs and packages right?
Zoso...  
#57 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 7:25:16 PM(UTC)
Zoso...

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Randy1 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Zoso... Go to Quoted Post
What I have been concerned about from the start is that our new PG is more concerned about helping Trump than he is helping the post office. At a time when the president is clearly against any form of mail-in ballots, it is suspicious, at least to me, that Dejoy's first act is to degrade our service.

Apparently you didn't read the PMG's statement.

"To start with, we must better adhere to our existing operating plans, which were developed precisely to ensure that we meet our service standards in an efficient and effective manner. It is evident that the Postal Service has the ability to improve in that area.

On the day that I was sworn in as Postmaster General by our Board of Governors, the Postal Service Inspector General issued a report entitled “U.S. Postal Service’s Processing Network Optimization and Service Impacts.” In that report our Inspector General indicated that the Postal Service spent $1.1 billion in mail processing overtime and penalty overtime, $280 million in late and extra transportation, and $2.9 billion in delivery overtime and penalty overtime costs in FY 2019. Yet, even after incurring these additional costs, the Postal Service has not seen material improvement in our service performance scores."

You are right, I didn't read it,
so thank you. IMO, service and employee cuts should be the last thing tried to get us on the right footing, not the first one.

At our office, to date, there has been no savings from cut OT, just delayed mail.
Zoso...  
#58 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 7:29:16 PM(UTC)
Zoso...

Man
United States

And besides, IF PG Dejoy's intentions are bad, he's not going to come out EVER, no matter what he enacts, and say, 'yeah I'm trying to destroy the post office.' I hope I'm wrong. Time will tell.
thanks 1 user thanked Zoso... for this useful post.
MPE2009 on 7/29/2020(UTC)
PTFPete  
#59 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 8:45:26 PM(UTC)
PTFPete

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: postalvet Go to Quoted Post

not quoting me does NOT change who you direct the post too!!!!!!!!

keep on hi-jacking every post here.

i still post on quicktopic so you are a liar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what does this mean?
"My life matter the most."????

did you forget the "s" on matters or can you not write?

You do realize your “Black Live’s Matter” tagline should be plural and not possessive don’t you?
Ar509  
#60 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2020 8:54:42 PM(UTC)
Ar509

United States

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 42 post(s)
PMG could start by eliminating worthless tasks like msp scans and return to having hold mail and Saturday holds in the s999 mail like it used to be if he wants to cut down on carrier tasks. Stop nitpicking us with extra tasks.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed