Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Disability Retirement

The federal government allows employees who are unable to work to retire under a disability retirement. It is in the best interest of both employees and the federal government for employees to remain gainfully employed in their current grade or pay level, as long as they can provide useful and efficient service without endangering themselves, others or government property.
Disability retirement should be the very last option and should be used only when attempts have been made to preserve an individual's employment, and those attempts have failed.

Order our Disability Retirement guide to educate yourself on the rules and regulations concerning disability retirement for federal employees.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cheesefan  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2020 12:45:41 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

I was denied my first go around....

I felt like giving up, especially with all this COVID stuff and what not, maybe I should just keep chugging along.

However, after debating it with myself, I decided to go to the reconsideration phase. I don't have any new paperwork or anything to submit, so I am thinking it will be denied again.

I am using a a law firm that will refund the fees if not successful. I am just trying to prepare in my head some way, that the chances of approvals go down after the 1st look.... and realistically, does the MSPB has a even lower success rate.

So I am thinking, it is going to get denied again.... and if i go the next step to the MSPB, and it is denied again, at least i get my money back...

any thoughts?

GSBS  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2020 3:05:36 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 322 time(s) in 280 post(s)
Seriously? Without continued medical care/evidence which you are required to maintain until age 60 you are going to submit nothing additional at Reconsideration? I doubt the attorney would even pursue a Stage 3 MSPB case and will just return your money after the outcome at Stage 2
Chache  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2020 10:34:34 PM(UTC)
Chache

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Need evidence with harris or other firms you have a pretty good chance to do well very good chance
cheesefan  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 1, 2020 6:25:29 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: GSBS Go to Quoted Post
Seriously? Without continued medical care/evidence which you are required to maintain until age 60 you are going to submit nothing additional at Reconsideration? I doubt the attorney would even pursue a Stage 3 MSPB case and will just return your money after the outcome at Stage 2

Hmmm... think i was misunderstood.

I have continued to go to the doctors monthly if not more for some of my issues, to me, that is not new evidence. The doctor appointments show that I still have the issue and still continue to try to maintain / control my issues.

The new evidence they were looking for were stronger letters from my doctors to tie it all together. That I have had difficultly getting done. None of my VA doctors want to touch that kind of paperwork.
cheesefan  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 1, 2020 6:27:04 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Chache Go to Quoted Post
Need evidence with harris or other firms you have a pretty good chance to do well very good chance

Yes, I went with one of the well known law firms. I guess i'l see what happens with the reconsideration phase. I would think that the lawyers would have only submitted the case if they felt it was strong. But now that it was denied, i don't know how much more i can do
gembarok  
#6 Posted : Saturday, August 1, 2020 9:53:19 AM(UTC)
gembarok

Man
United States

Was thanked: 186 time(s) in 163 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cheesefan Go to Quoted Post

I have continued to go to the doctors monthly if not more for some of my issues, to me, that is not new evidence. The doctor appointments show that I still have the issue and still continue to try to maintain / control my issues.

The new evidence they were looking for were stronger letters from my doctors to tie it all together. That I have had difficultly getting done. None of my VA doctors want to touch that kind of paperwork.

Greetings,

This is going to be a little harsh, but I have your best interests in mind. I doubt there are many lawyers who accept a case they can't make money off of. So I think that is just your mind messing with you. Now if your lawyer is telling you to get fresh paperwork, well... get your ass out there and get it. If that means finding a new doctor to write a medical opinion for cash... then do it. Or, make yourself a list of questions that OPM wants answered, have your VA Docs answer them. It's not hard and the VA docs are required by policy to assist you in completing paperwork for other federal agencies. Trust me, I fought this battle many times and always win. https://www.va.gov/vhapu...lication.asp?pub_ID=4300

Put your cowboy hat on and go get the documentation OPM wants.

S/
K
thanks 1 user thanked gembarok for this useful post.
cheesefan on 8/4/2020(UTC)
cheesefan  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 4, 2020 6:21:34 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: gembarok Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: cheesefan Go to Quoted Post

Greetings,

This is going to be a little harsh, but I have your best interests in mind. I doubt there are many lawyers who accept a case they can't make money off of. So I think that is just your mind messing with you. Now if your lawyer is telling you to get fresh paperwork, well... get your ass out there and get it. If that means finding a new doctor to write a medical opinion for cash... then do it. Or, make yourself a list of questions that OPM wants answered, have your VA Docs answer them. It's not hard and the VA docs are required by policy to assist you in completing paperwork for other federal agencies. Trust me, I fought this battle many times and always win. https://www.va.gov/vhapu...lication.asp?pub_ID=4300

Put your cowboy hat on and go get the documentation OPM wants.

S/
K

I had no idea about that policy !!! In January I asked my va doctors for the paperwork and they told me it against va policy. This changes everything !! You rock!

Rss Feed  Atom Feed