Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Retirement Planning

Whether you are close to federal employee retirement or just starting out in your career, this is the place to share ideas with your federal colleagues on creating a secure financial foundation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee related news visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JonnerDude  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 4, 2020 11:51:35 AM(UTC)
JonnerDude

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello, I have a question that some of you may know:

I am a current serving National Guard member. I was previously in the Active Duty Army for close to 13 years. I am now a federal employee and still serving in the National Guard as a traditional drilling member.

If I were to buy back my military time prior to retiring from the National Guard, how will that affect my military retirement pay? Do the 13 years of active duty still count toward my retirement computation for the military?

I'm sure there are others in this situation as well out there. Thank you for any information you all can provide.

someoldguy  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 4, 2020 12:30:12 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 945 time(s) in 794 post(s)
If you qualify for a reserve component retirement (where you don't collect until age 60), that is not impacted by federal retirement. An active duty retirement ends up being combined with your federal retirement if a person does the military buyback/military deposit. A lot of folks with an active duty retirement (that is, where you start collecting immediately upon retirement from the military) look at the numbers and decide to keep the two retirements separate and not do the military buyback.

Your 13 years of active service should be documented by one or more DD214's. Going forward, any active duty time on federal orders will qualify for the buyback.

VA disability can play into this but I'm not sure how that works.

I am going through a nutroll with my agency trying to convince them that all my AT/ADT/ADSW/etc were performed under Title 10 and were completed "Honorably." Never mind that there is no such thing as a discharge from these types of orders, and as an Army Reserve member I only ever did Title 10. I finally got a memo from HRC to this effect... hope it works. You might be able to get a statement from your unit for each period of active duty.

Hope that makes sense. It can all be a little confusing.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 4, 2020 12:31:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
thanks 1 user thanked someoldguy for this useful post.
a_chap on 8/5/2020(UTC)
Tanker1497  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2020 3:52:26 AM(UTC)

While someoldguy has a good handle on what once was the way times have changed. Waiting to 60 to collect is the old way. This should help with that
https://www.thebalanceca...ard-and-reserves-3353247
And since around 2004 every AD day (Guard) comes with a DD-214 I retired in 2001 with 22 years with 10 DD-214's
My buddy retired in 2016 with 500 DD-214's Each is a single day or multible day of AD.
All this has zero affect on you if you never reach 20 years in the Guard/ AD combined.
What affects you now is the 13 years counting towards retirement in the Fereral service. More importantly this amount goes up every day you wait and its important to know your not paying anyone but yourself back.
Now any AD Guard time purchase back (fund your retierment) when you get close will add even more time. All this will also increase your AL by doing this it did mine, I only had Guard time and thought I bought back basic Training time. OPM pointed this out. They gave me 80 xtra hours of AL.Remembering that any Presidential orders all count towards your Reserve time. All this being said its really kinda hard to get 90 days AD in a single year for a benifit of 3 months. I know one buddy that will retire at 58 and a few months and he's Gurad bumb!
Hope this helps you out.
steve
someoldguy  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2020 4:25:34 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 945 time(s) in 794 post(s)
I started collecting retired pay early due to the "90 day drop" but that was too complicated to go into.

You get a DD214 for every period of active duty? I only got them for periods longer than 90 days. I have like seven or eight but only for longer tours. I was USAR not Guard but I thought this was an Army policy to only get DD214 for longer tours... would have made my buyback a lot simpler.
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed