Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Goose1200  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2020 12:26:58 PM(UTC)
Goose1200

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Recently got my SFPC and was curious for those that have it, has it lead to any job leads or benefits? I saw a job where it called for 3-5 yrs experience but if you had sfpc, that counted for 3yrs experience. Curious if those working in this field (0080) have heard of or seen any benefits to having it other than the usual "good to have to show your knowledge in this field, etc etc"
FatHappyCat  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2020 11:43:57 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 113 post(s)
I personally haven't but then again, you don't really know the reason why you were a select or a non select. What I do notice is this:

1 - The only real time sped certification has played any role in my experience is if there is a close call on resume review. I was reviewing resumes for a 0080 and we were selecting 10 candidates to interview. We easily picked the first nine, but the 10th was a close call between 2 persons; we picked the sped certified guy for that reason alone. Note - the 9 other candidate were not certified and the 10th did not get the offer.

2 - Many 0080 positions 'require' sped certification or completion within 24 months. I have never seen that enforced nor have i seen any agency actually give any employee time to prepare for it.
Goose1200  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2020 4:00:11 PM(UTC)
Goose1200

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Ive noticed that too, I use to work for the DON as an 0080 and every job called for sfpc within 2yrs but it was never enforced but they did give some time to study for it. Many took it but failed, and keep retesting every 90 days. Too bad there is no financiual incentive, I know DAWIA is also needed for many in the contract world and may be more related to actual duties unlike the sfpc which is poorly worded questions
hemihem  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2020 1:33:29 PM(UTC)
hemihem

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 71 post(s)
I'm SFPC certified since 2012, IMO, it makes for great talking points especially in the non DoD agencies. I was working towards certifying as an adjudicator but, no external agencies other than those connected with DoD have such requirements. I do know you can't get to the others level of certification unless you are SFPC certified.

I wish that wasn't the case, let me know if it has change. Obtaining SFPC was a feat in itself. For those who have it, maintain it, you never know when the day will come that all agencies will make it a mandatory requirement for the 0080 field.

For that reason alone I have not allowed my certification lapse.
FatHappyCat  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2020 7:11:10 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 113 post(s)
So I figured it was about time for me to see what the deal was with being SFPC certified. To be honest, I was not impressed...

As Goose said, it's a poorly worded exam and, in my opinion, probably required more in test-taking abilities and comprehension than actual knowledge. I spent about an hour the day before reading the security shorts and completed the exam in a little over an hour and passed. Granted, I've been in the field for a minute, but the questions were either plainly obvious or completely obscure which required a guess.

Ironic - I decided to do this just as I am transferring out of DoD.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed