Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Interior

The U.S. Department of the Interior protects America’s natural resources and heritage, honors our cultures and tribal communities and supplies the energy to power our future.

The agency employs about 70,000 people in approximately 2,400 locations with offices across the United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. Territories and Freely Associated States.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
swgeezer  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2020 7:23:49 AM(UTC)
swgeezer

Groups: Registered

Hi, All.
I've been beating a dead horse trying to get some training. I've been assigned a lot of audio/visual functions in my work, but have very little training in those areas. DOI Talent doesn't have much in those areas.

I have a coworker who took a photography course at a local college here, and I want to do that too. I asked my boss, she says to work with our admin to figure out how to "do it." perhaps, how to code the funding or whatever? I'm not sure what the hangup is, but I've been trying to "do it" for at least a year.

The admin told me to ask my coworker who "did it." he told me to just ask my boss. I tell them that, then they tell me to ask our benefits dept. The benefits people say to ask my boss or go to DOI talent. I tell the Admin that, and he says "ask the coworker" and the coworker says "ask the boss" then the admin says "ask the benefits people."

It's maddening, in the meantime I'm not getting any training, and now a semester is coming me up and I don't have anything concrete to tell them. I have been accepted to the local college, not that will make any difference.

Question: is there some DOI policy on this that I can point to and say "there, it says i can do the training so long as it helps me in my work and it only costs this much"

Thanks in advance.
Navy Bubblehead  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2020 8:34:31 AM(UTC)
Navy Bubblehead

Was thanked: 120 time(s) in 98 post(s)
Originally Posted by: swgeezer Go to Quoted Post
Hi, All.
I've been beating a dead horse trying to get some training. I've been assigned a lot of audio/visual functions in my work, but have very little training in those areas. DOI Talent doesn't have much in those areas.

I have a coworker who took a photography course at a local college here, and I want to do that too. I asked my boss, she says to work with our admin to figure out how to "do it." perhaps, how to code the funding or whatever? I'm not sure what the hangup is, but I've been trying to "do it" for at least a year.

The admin told me to ask my coworker who "did it." he told me to just ask my boss. I tell them that, then they tell me to ask our benefits dept. The benefits people say to ask my boss or go to DOI talent. I tell the Admin that, and he says "ask the coworker" and the coworker says "ask the boss" then the admin says "ask the benefits people."

It's maddening, in the meantime I'm not getting any training, and now a semester is coming me up and I don't have anything concrete to tell them. I have been accepted to the local college, not that will make any difference.

Question: is there some DOI policy on this that I can point to and say "there, it says i can do the training so long as it helps me in my work and it only costs this much"

Thanks in advance.

That whole scenario sounds like a "who is going to fund this?" game. If the job REQUIRES specific training, the Agency should have something formal set up that it sends employees through (ie. auditors go through specific training regiments for the Agency, LEOs go through LE academies, etc). If this is simply something that you think will help you, or something you would like to have, you may be on your own to enroll and pay for it. Maybe the Agency could afford you Admin time to take the course during the work day?
frankgonzalez  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2020 10:25:29 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1183 time(s) in 946 post(s)
Start with an SF-182 and your training office....
You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Rss Feed  Atom Feed