Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wrestlingshadows81  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2020 10:38:04 AM(UTC)
wrestlingshadows81

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello,

I am currently a GS-11 step 4 and I am looking at possibly going to Okinawa for a job. I am having a hard time finding tables with exactly how much COLA or possibly housing allowance (I was told this existed in Okinawa from someone who was a GS employee there a few years ago). Does anyone know from experience or can point me to a good site where I can calculated how much I would get paid as a GS-11 step 4 with dependents in Okinawa? I found a site that calculates pay but it's for military enlisted and Officers.
FatHappyCat  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2020 11:01:10 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 130 time(s) in 111 post(s)
Your pay while serving overseas is your base pay on the GS pay scale. COLA/LQA and other stuff can be found here:

https://aoprals.state.go...0/lqa_all.asp?MenuHide=1

While your pay is significantly lower, most people so significantly better because of LQA.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
wrestlingshadows81 on 8/18/2020(UTC)
wrestlingshadows81  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2020 11:13:30 AM(UTC)
wrestlingshadows81

United States

Originally Posted by: FatHappyCat Go to Quoted Post
Your pay while serving overseas is your base pay on the GS pay scale. COLA/LQA and other stuff can be found here:

While your pay is significantly lower, most people so significantly better because of LQA.

$42,800 for where I would be in Okinawa. So is this everything or is there additional pay for Okinawa other than this?
frankgonzalez  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2020 11:37:15 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1095 time(s) in 868 post(s)
Originally Posted by: wrestlingshadows81 Go to Quoted Post

$42,800 for where I would be in Okinawa. So is this everything or is there additional pay for Okinawa other than this?
The LQA table is just for your housing and utilities. COLA is separate and is adjusted frequently based on the currency exchange rate against the dollar (so don't recommend including it in your budget calculations and just consider it "found money" every time you get it in order to be safe from drops). see https://aoprals.state.gov/Web920/cola.asp for COLA (aka Post Allowance) rates and here https://aoprals.state.gov/conten...nt_id=156&menu_id=75 for how it is calculated.

So...if not having to pay for housing and utilities from your pay doesn't make up for your drop to the base salary table...what are you looking for?

Edited by user Tuesday, August 18, 2020 1:05:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
thanks 1 user thanked frankgonzalez for this useful post.
wrestlingshadows81  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2020 11:42:46 AM(UTC)
wrestlingshadows81

United States

Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post

The LQA table is just for your housing and utilities. COLA is separate and is adjusted frequently based on the currency exchange rate against the dollar (so don't recommend including it in your budget calculations and just consider it "found money" every time you get it in order to be safe from drops).

So...if not having to pay for housing and utilities from your pay doesn't make up for your drop to the base salary table...what are you looking for?

I was just confused at the COLA and LQA. I wasn't sure if they were 2 separate things or if they were the same but called different depending on your job location. I see COLA at 30% for Okinawa. So basically it's 1/3 of my GS-11 Step 4 base pay? Almost 20k? So basically $120k a year which is great to me. My wife is going to try and apply to be a GS-11 or higher nurse at Camp Zama. So yeah that's a lot of green if I can get the assignment.
wrestlingshadows81  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2020 12:05:28 PM(UTC)
wrestlingshadows81

United States

I actually looked up the wrong LQA. It's actually $59,200 for Okinawa. lol
DaVinci95  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2020 1:48:34 PM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 86 post(s)

The LQA table is just for your housing and utilities. COLA is separate and is adjusted frequently based on the currency exchange rate against the dollar (so don't recommend including it in your budget calculations and just consider it "found money" every time you get it in order to be safe from drops).

I was just confused at the COLA and LQA. I wasn't sure if they were 2 separate things or if they were the same but called different depending on your job location. I see COLA at 30% for Okinawa. So basically it's 1/3 of my GS-11 Step 4 base pay? Almost 20k? So basically $120k a year which is great to me. My wife is going to try and apply to be a GS-11 or higher nurse at Camp Zama. So yeah that's a lot of green if I can get the assignment.

Post Allowance is 30% of your "spendable income", not your base pay. When I was there in 2016 as a GS-13, my Post Allowance for a family of 4 was about $500 per pay period. I'd calculate it at 15% of base to be on the safe side. I wouldn't count LQA as part of your income since rent and utilities are considerably higher and you only get what you actually pay. If you want a closer comparison, take whatever you are paying now and add it to your base + COLA.
thanks 1 user thanked DaVinci95 for this useful post.
wrestlingshadows81  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2020 4:55:25 PM(UTC)
wrestlingshadows81

United States

Originally Posted by: DaVinci95 Go to Quoted Post

Post Allowance is 30% of your "spendable income", not your base pay. When I was there in 2016 as a GS-13, my Post Allowance for a family of 4 was about $500 per pay period. I'd calculate it at 15% of base to be on the safe side. I wouldn't count LQA as part of your income since rent and utilities are considerably higher and you only get what you actually pay. If you want a closer comparison, take whatever you are paying now and add it to your base + COLA.

Yep, I figured it out now. Looking at a little over 10k for me or about a little over $300 a pay period. Hoping my wife can get a GS-11 position as a nurse at the hospital there and then I can alleviate all worries.

I just want to clarify the LQA so for example if LQA is 60k but my rents and utilities are only around 30k a year (hypothetically) then I would only get 30k to cover everything? Also if my wife were to also find a GS position she wouldn't get LQA because I would already be receiving LQA? We also have a son who will be starting Kindergarten fairly soon, I read there is also an education allowance. How does that work exactly?

I'm starting to think it may not be worth it to me. My wife and I both make a little over 150k a year combined, we own a house on a 15 year mortgage which we pay almost $1,600 a month on, no debts, cars are paid off. Our only added expense is daycare. My main reason for ever looking at Okinawa is that I live here in the Fort Hood area and well, it sucks, and I'd like a change of scenery. The Okinawa position wouldn't be permanent anyways and I could probably rent out the house and pay whatever is leftover from the property management group cut. Move also sounds like a hassle. If the wife doesn't get the GS-11 Nursing job then it really screws up my plans unless she gets a nursing job that isn't a federal position.

I don't know what do you think? Should I just suck it up here or can I make this Okinawa thing work?

Edited by user Tuesday, August 18, 2020 6:20:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FatHappyCat  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2020 11:36:02 PM(UTC)

Yep, I figured it out now. Looking at a little over 10k for me or about a little over $300 a pay period. Hoping my wife can get a GS-11 position as a nurse at the hospital there and then I can alleviate all worries.

I just want to clarify the LQA so for example if LQA is 60k but my rents and utilities are only around 30k a year (hypothetically) then I would only get 30k to cover everything? Also if my wife were to also find a GS position she wouldn't get LQA because I would already be receiving LQA? We also have a son who will be starting Kindergarten fairly soon, I read there is also an education allowance. How does that work exactly?

I'm starting to think it may not be worth it to me. My wife and I both make a little over 150k a year combined, we own a house on a 15 year mortgage which we pay almost $1,600 a month on, no debts, cars are paid off. Our only added expense is daycare. My main reason for ever looking at Okinawa is that I live here in the Fort Hood area and well, it sucks, and I'd like a change of scenery. The Okinawa position wouldn't be permanent anyways and I could probably rent out the house and pay whatever is leftover from the property management group cut. Move also sounds like a hassle. If the wife doesn't get the GS-11 Nursing job then it really screws up my plans unless she gets a nursing job that isn't a federal position.

I don't know what do you think? Should I just suck it up here or can I make this Okinawa thing work?

It's nearly impossible for someone to help you decide what the best course of action is for your family especially given the complicated nature of your situation with wife, kids, house, etc. as well as your not knowing what your priorities are. If money is the priority, you will almost always do better overseas because of LQA and lower taxes, but let me try to address some of your questions.

1 - As Frank said, LQA is only for housing + utilities and you DO NOT get to keep what's leftover. There are tricks to maximize it's usage but there are both benefits and pitfalls to it; that's another story all together.

2 - There is no education allowance unless schools are not available. If your family is authorized to come with you, most likely you'll be authorized to enroll in a DoDea school. If you don't enroll them there, any school you choose is out of pocket.

3 - If you wife finds work, she would not be authorized LQA for 2 reasons. 1) Your family is already drawing LQA and 2) she would be considered a local hire. On a related matter - the authorized LQA is more than enough to find you a VERY nice place.

From my point of view, the decision is easy; I left my 13 for a 12 just to have an opportunity to live in Japan. I kept the same pay but had more take home pay because LQA paid off my housing expenses. You're not a fan of Fort Hood, so why not take advantage of the opportunity to get out of there? You'll be taxed for your move which RITA will help offset but when you leave, assuming you stay for 5 and the law isn't changed again, your move back will be how it used to be, tax-free. The only thing I would have done differently is I would have sold my house PRIOR to leaving especially because I did not intent to return to that location. If you rent your property out, you'll have to hire a managing company and it sucks dealing with tenants when you're not there unless you find superstars!

The only pause I would have if I was in your situation is I would need to consider how much income your wife brings in currently and how much you depend on it for your expenses. You make an assumption that she will be able to find something comparable when you get there. Moneywise, even if she doesn't work, you'll probably have more than enough, but I don't know how that would affect your standard of living.

wrestlingshadows81 on 8/19/2020(UTC)
wrestlingshadows81  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2020 6:56:52 AM(UTC)
wrestlingshadows81

United States

It's nearly impossible for someone to help you decide what the best course of action is for your family especially given the complicated nature of your situation with wife, kids, house, etc. as well as your not knowing what your priorities are. If money is the priority, you will almost always do better overseas because of LQA and lower taxes, but let me try to address some of your questions.

1 - As Frank said, LQA is only for housing + utilities and you DO NOT get to keep what's leftover. There are tricks to maximize it's usage but there are both benefits and pitfalls to it; that's another story all together.

2 - There is no education allowance unless schools are not available. If your family is authorized to come with you, most likely you'll be authorized to enroll in a DoDea school. If you don't enroll them there, any school you choose is out of pocket.

3 - If you wife finds work, she would not be authorized LQA for 2 reasons. 1) Your family is already drawing LQA and 2) she would be considered a local hire. On a related matter - the authorized LQA is more than enough to find you a VERY nice place.

From my point of view, the decision is easy; I left my 13 for a 12 just to have an opportunity to live in Japan. I kept the same pay but had more take home pay because LQA paid off my housing expenses. You're not a fan of Fort Hood, so why not take advantage of the opportunity to get out of there? You'll be taxed for your move which RITA will help offset but when you leave, assuming you stay for 5 and the law isn't changed again, your move back will be how it used to be, tax-free. The only thing I would have done differently is I would have sold my house PRIOR to leaving especially because I did not intent to return to that location. If you rent your property out, you'll have to hire a managing company and it sucks dealing with tenants when you're not there unless you find superstars!

The only pause I would have if I was in your situation is I would need to consider how much income your wife brings in currently and how much you depend on it for your expenses. You make an assumption that she will be able to find something comparable when you get there. Moneywise, even if she doesn't work, you'll probably have more than enough, but I don't know how that would affect your standard of living.

Out of curiosity would I be able to use the PX/BX and commissary while I work there?
euphonix8  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2020 7:10:15 AM(UTC)
euphonix8

Man
United States

Out of curiosity would I be able to use the PX/BX and commissary while I work there?

Yes, civilians get access to the exchange and commissary while overseas.
thanks 1 user thanked euphonix8 for this useful post.
DaVinci95  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2020 4:09:33 PM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

You are authorized to use the PX, commissary, fitness centers. and MWR facilities. Medical care is on a space-available basis. When we were there, the kids were seen by the pediatrics department at the hospital with no issues, but my wife and I had to go off base for our medical care and we all had to go off base for dental. We got excellent care off base, but we had to pay out of pocket and then submit claims to the insurance companies for reimbursement.
thanks 1 user thanked DaVinci95 for this useful post.
FatHappyCat  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2020 6:59:02 AM(UTC)

If you have SOFA then yes.....which 99.9% of the people working for the DoD overseas has.
wrestlingshadows81  
#14 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2020 3:40:16 PM(UTC)
wrestlingshadows81

United States

So this might sound like a dumb question but I don't actually know. I work for the Army in Army Installation Command. The Okinawa job would have me working with the Marines. If I take that job do I have return rights to this job since well, Army and the Marines are both DOD?

Also the Okinawa job is technically another job series even though both jobs are nearly identical which leads me to another question. Is this going to hurt my chances in that they will pick someone already under that job series over me even if I'm on paper more qualified?

My current job series is Geographer but this Okinawa job is Cartographer. I'd literally be doing 95% of the same things.

Edited by user Saturday, August 22, 2020 3:45:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FatHappyCat  
#15 Posted : Sunday, August 23, 2020 2:10:56 AM(UTC)

So this might sound like a dumb question but I don't actually know. I work for the Army in Army Installation Command. The Okinawa job would have me working with the Marines. If I take that job do I have return rights to this job since well, Army and the Marines are both DOD?

Return rights are almost always offered, in fact I can't think of any cases I've seen where they are not given. The branch doesn't matter; return rights, PPP, etc are a DoD program, not a component program.

Also the Okinawa job is technically another job series even though both jobs are nearly identical which leads me to another question. Is this going to hurt my chances in that they will pick someone already under that job series over me even if I'm on paper more qualified?

My current job series is Geographer but this Okinawa job is Cartographer. I'd literally be doing 95% of the same things.

I don't think anyone can answer that unless they are in your job series. Picking who to interview is 100% subjective on who is reviewing the resumes. In my field as a 0080, I'll occasionally see an 1801, 1802, or even a 301. I give everyone a fair shake but they certainly aren't 95% related to what a 0080 does.
wrestlingshadows81 on 8/23/2020(UTC)
wrestlingshadows81  
#16 Posted : Sunday, August 23, 2020 11:02:46 AM(UTC)
wrestlingshadows81

United States

I guess there's one other question I have. So I realize they drive on the other side of the road in Japan and I am going to need a license to get around. So how hard is it to get one of these SOFA license over there? I have literally zero worries about the job or living there but for whatever reason the whole driving on the left side kind of scares me.
FatHappyCat  
#17 Posted : Sunday, August 23, 2020 9:28:44 PM(UTC)

I guess there's one other question I have. So I realize they drive on the other side of the road in Japan and I am going to need a license to get around. So how hard is it to get one of these SOFA license over there? I have literally zero worries about the job or living there but for whatever reason the whole driving on the left side kind of scares me.

the exam is a joke and driving on the other side takes all of 10 minutes to get accustomed. Think about it like this; we have a ton of crazy drivers in the US and all of them are SOFA-licensed when they move to Japan. The only people that don't really drive are 1 - people without stateside licenses and 2 - people who DUI.

wrestlingshadows81  
#18 Posted : Thursday, August 27, 2020 6:43:46 AM(UTC)
wrestlingshadows81

United States

So this is somewhat of a serious question that after doing some research may or may not disqualify me. I am reading how dependents with certain disabilities may deny your family accompaning you overseas (well if you are active duty Navy and Marines at least). Our 2 year old son has a speech disorder, he hasn't been diagnosed as autistic but, the possibility is there. Will this preclude me from an overseas DOD assignment?
DaVinci95  
#19 Posted : Thursday, August 27, 2020 8:20:04 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

So this is somewhat of a serious question that after doing some research may or may not disqualify me. I am reading how dependents with certain disabilities may deny your family accompaning you overseas (well if you are active duty Navy and Marines at least). Our 2 year old son has a speech disorder, he hasn't been diagnosed as autistic but, the possibility is there. Will this preclude me from an overseas DOD assignment?

It shouldn’t. The restriction is for conditions where medical treatment isn’t readily available.
frankgonzalez  
#20 Posted : Thursday, August 27, 2020 8:22:30 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1095 time(s) in 868 post(s)
It depends. My wife was on EFMP while I was active duty, and it did cause a change in assignment one time as the initial base didn't have the appropriate specialists she needed nearby, and it resulted in us ending up in Denver instead. Same is true overseas. The local clinic will figure out if they can support the medical needs or if support is available locally. If not, that means the family cannot accompany the member to that location.

So depending on your child's needs, they will have to identify if the local area has the specialties to ensure your son gets the appropriate treatment.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Rss Feed  Atom Feed