Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Filmbeloh2o  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 28, 2020 3:46:38 AM(UTC)
Filmbeloh2o

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Just informational for anyone out there that's been referred for a position: I had an interview yesterday where ten minutes prior, I was emailed a list of questions and told to set a stop watch. I was then given a number to call before that 10 minutes was up and announce my name. At that time I was introduced to the panel and told there would be no interaction unless someone on the panel needed to clarify my answers. I had exactly 15 minutes to answer the 5 questions that had been emailed to me, and the only time I heard from the other end of the phone was when the HR rep in the room told me I had 5 minutes left. I've done phone interviews before, but this was so strange not getting any feedback whatsoever from the panel. I'm a current DoD GS, and this was for a different DoD agency, but in the same field (Visual Information). I know that we would never interview a candidate like that simply because there is so much more information needed to make a decision on whom to even extend a tentative offer. I was told that once a selection had been made based on the initial interviews, that they would be able to have more interaction with the person to whom they would be reporting. This was just strange to me as I've always looked at the interview process as me interviewing the agency as much as they are talking to me.

Anyway - just thought I'd throw that out there so others can be prepared for that kind of interview set up. If one agency is going to do it, others might very well do the same thing.
thanks 2 users thanked Filmbeloh2o for this useful post.
Robert20170 on 8/28/2020(UTC), Gopeder on 8/28/2020(UTC)
Robert20170  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 28, 2020 5:26:44 AM(UTC)
Robert20170

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm so glad that I decided to go to the judiciary where office have autonomy and can interview as they see fit. They make an effort to actually look at your resume and ask appropriate questions. These cookie cutter interviews are beyond ridiculous in my opinion.
djp  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 29, 2020 2:33:08 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 168 time(s) in 165 post(s)
What were the questions?
Filmbeloh2o  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 31, 2020 7:41:32 AM(UTC)
Filmbeloh2o

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: djp Go to Quoted Post
What were the questions?

Very specific to managing creatives in a Visual Information department, but typical 'what would you do if...' stuff.
TheUnderverse15  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 6, 2020 4:36:08 AM(UTC)
TheUnderverse15

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Filmbeloh2o Go to Quoted Post
Just informational for anyone out there that's been referred for a position: I had an interview yesterday where ten minutes prior, I was emailed a list of questions and told to set a stop watch. I was then given a number to call before that 10 minutes was up and announce my name. At that time I was introduced to the panel and told there would be no interaction unless someone on the panel needed to clarify my answers. I had exactly 15 minutes to answer the 5 questions that had been emailed to me, and the only time I heard from the other end of the phone was when the HR rep in the room told me I had 5 minutes left. I've done phone interviews before, but this was so strange not getting any feedback whatsoever from the panel. I'm a current DoD GS, and this was for a different DoD agency, but in the same field (Visual Information). I know that we would never interview a candidate like that simply because there is so much more information needed to make a decision on whom to even extend a tentative offer. I was told that once a selection had been made based on the initial interviews, that they would be able to have more interaction with the person to whom they would be reporting. This was just strange to me as I've always looked at the interview process as me interviewing the agency as much as they are talking to me.

Anyway - just thought I'd throw that out there so others can be prepared for that kind of interview set up. If one agency is going to do it, others might very well do the same thing.

This sounds like Hill AFB and AFMC.
djp  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 6, 2020 8:08:35 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 168 time(s) in 165 post(s)
I’ve hrsrd about this. I have a visual image for the panel too.....
jack99  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 21, 2020 12:12:10 PM(UTC)
jack99

United States

I've had this. Wasn't given the questions before hand, but it was we have 5 questions and you have X minutes to answer. There were several panel members on the call, and they all had a bad connection. The only one I could understand clearly was thankfully the main guy asking the questions. I agree with the OP. The whole thing was very robotic and bizarre. Is this a job interview or do I need to be read my Miranda rights?
someoldguy  
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 21, 2020 3:21:35 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 948 time(s) in 797 post(s)
I had something similar, except no stopwatch. Was introduced to three or four people who were supposedly on the call but only one person spoke. I cant believe these interviews accomplish anything except checking the block that says "Yes we held an interview."
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed