Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mallen  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 1, 2020 12:54:26 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 37 post(s)
It just occurred to me what to do with the money that I may have to give back. I'm putting it in my tsp. If I have to pay it back, I have some options. I can reduce my tsp witholding back to the minimum 5% that gets the 5% matching funds to offset the extra money they take out next year.

Edited by user Tuesday, September 1, 2020 1:01:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Navy Bubblehead  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2020 4:09:45 AM(UTC)
Navy Bubblehead

Was thanked: 122 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Originally Posted by: mallen Go to Quoted Post
It just occurred to me what to do with the money that I may have to give back. I'm putting it in my tsp. If I have to pay it back, I have some options. I can reduce my tsp witholding back to the minimum 5% that gets the 5% matching funds to offset the extra money they take out next year.

You could. Just keep in mind that will in turn increase your taxable income and, consequently, your federal and (if applicable) state tax bill for 2021.
mallen  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2020 8:38:33 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Yes, most likely scenario is, maybe a little, maybe a lot, maybe we can minimize it but we still get screwed. That's why many private sector employers are just ignoring it.

Edited by user Wednesday, September 2, 2020 8:40:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Matrix  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2020 4:42:33 AM(UTC)
Matrix

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Yes, my wife and nobody I know, has implemented the tax deferral. It's a very unwise move, as we're already employed full-time and salaries are the same. This deferral has given me an extra $300 last paycheck, which is scary in that I'll be negative -$600/month starting in Jan.

I've been putting the extra money into stocks, hoping to at least make the most of it. I have 0% confidence that this will become "permanent cut".
GWPDA  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2020 5:37:59 AM(UTC)
GWPDA

Was thanked: 600 time(s) in 492 post(s)
"I have 0% confidence that this will become "permanent cut".

Why would you want the tax that funds Social Security and Medicare to be cut permanently? There has been nothing suggested that would replace it. You might want to prepare instead for the possibility that there might not be any salary increase in January - or that there will be no short term extension.
Matrix  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2020 6:18:27 AM(UTC)
Matrix

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I didn't agree this was, in any way, a smart move to cut a critical program such as Social Security. Would it be nice to not pay back the $600/month loss?! Absolutely.

Of course, any cut would not be forward thinking, but then again spending $7Trillion in the past months has destroyed us, needed or not. I won't get into any politics.

Rss Feed  Atom Feed