Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Internal Revenue Service

As a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and as one of the world's most efficient tax administrators, the IRS role is to help the large majority of compliant taxpayers with the tax law, while ensuring that the minority who are unwilling to comply pay their fair share. (Source: www.irs.gov)

This forum will allow you to share and ask job-related questions about this bureau. This is NOT the place to ask tax questions.

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
demoslider  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2020 2:32:18 PM(UTC)
demoslider

Rank: Newbie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/17/2014(UTC)
Posts: 5
United States

I know people would normally want to go from seasonal to perm, but can employee go from perm to seasonal if they apply for a seasonal position? Can the department they are a perm in be able to prevent them from going to the seasonal position by refusing to release them? Thank you.
teeeeej  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 2, 2020 4:33:37 PM(UTC)
teeeeej

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/22/2013(UTC)
Posts: 438

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Originally Posted by: demoslider Go to Quoted Post
I know people would normally want to go from seasonal to perm, but can employee go from perm to seasonal if they apply for a seasonal position? Can the department they are a perm in be able to prevent them from going to the seasonal position by refusing to release them? Thank you.


I don't see why they would be able to indefinitely block it. Probably a question for HR. That sounds like an intriguing option to me when I'm closer to retirement.
gardenia  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2020 8:58:09 AM(UTC)
gardenia

Rank: Groupie

Groups: Registered
Joined: 10/23/2014(UTC)
Posts: 59
United States

Thanks: 1 times
Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
You can choose to convert to seasonal if your job has seasonals. For example there are seasonal call site employees but I have never heard of a seasonal RO. You can’t choose to go back to perm- you would have to go through the perm process like any other seasonal. Go to your union.
teeeeej  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2020 7:53:59 PM(UTC)
teeeeej

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/22/2013(UTC)
Posts: 438

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Originally Posted by: gardenia Go to Quoted Post
You can choose to convert to seasonal if your job has seasonals. For example there are seasonal call site employees but I have never heard of a seasonal RO. You can’t choose to go back to perm- you would have to go through the perm process like any other seasonal. Go to your union.


I thought it's seasonals are permanent? What's the downside of going seasonal? I mean, assuming you can afford to take part of the year off.
Papoose79  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2020 9:16:26 PM(UTC)
Papoose79

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/4/2014(UTC)
Posts: 257
Woman
United States

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: teeeeej Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: gardenia Go to Quoted Post
You can choose to convert to seasonal if your job has seasonals. For example there are seasonal call site employees but I have never heard of a seasonal RO. You can’t choose to go back to perm- you would have to go through the perm process like any other seasonal. Go to your union.


I thought it's seasonals are permanent? What's the downside of going seasonal? I mean, assuming you can afford to take part of the year off.


Seasonals are Permanent and work at least 6 to 8 months, vs. a non seasonal working 12 months out the year. They furlough Seasonals and you collect unemployment till you're called back to work.
Hired 2015  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2020 4:27:57 AM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/17/2016(UTC)
Posts: 272

Thanks: 24 times
Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 27 post(s)
As a permanent seasonal I am held to the same standards and rules. There always has been friction between seasonals and permanents at my site where seasonals aren't seen as being as they say really permanents. Frankly that is the source of so much job dissatisfaction where we are treated by some as an inferior class. My concern in going permanent is that viewpoint that I don't tolerate.

Every Monday on my calendar is marked as a possible furlough notice day. Its starts the week off on a positive note. When the 100s roll in on the reviews well I'm just doing my job for however long it lasts.
teeeeej  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2020 6:24:33 AM(UTC)
teeeeej

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/22/2013(UTC)
Posts: 438

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Papoose79 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: teeeeej Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: gardenia Go to Quoted Post
You can choose to convert to seasonal if your job has seasonals. For example there are seasonal call site employees but I have never heard of a seasonal RO. You can’t choose to go back to perm- you would have to go through the perm process like any other seasonal. Go to your union.


I thought it's seasonals are permanent? What's the downside of going seasonal? I mean, assuming you can afford to take part of the year off.


Seasonals are Permanent and work at least 6 to 8 months, vs. a non seasonal working 12 months out the year. They furlough Seasonals and you collect unemployment till you're called back to work.


Are you basically on LWOP the portion of the year that you aren't working? Do they have to back-collect the unpaid months of FEHB from your paycheck when you start up again? How does the time off affect your FERS ?

Edited by user Friday, September 4, 2020 6:25:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Polar Bear  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2020 6:34:37 AM(UTC)
Polar Bear

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/24/2018(UTC)
Posts: 217
United States
Location: MO

Thanks: 40 times
Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Actually I am glad I saw this post. My wife accepted a seasonal job here in our city starting in October. Are you saying all seasonal employees get furloughed to unemployment? We had thought she'd just have to find a second job.
teeeeej  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2020 6:44:55 AM(UTC)
teeeeej

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/22/2013(UTC)
Posts: 438

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Polar Bear Go to Quoted Post
Actually I am glad I saw this post. My wife accepted a seasonal job here in our city starting in October. Are you saying all seasonal employees get furloughed to unemployment? We had thought she'd just have to find a second job.


Most states require you to certify that you are actively looking for work in order to collect unemployment, so that may be a question of ethics.
Polar Bear  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2020 6:47:39 AM(UTC)
Polar Bear

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/24/2018(UTC)
Posts: 217
United States
Location: MO

Thanks: 40 times
Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: teeeeej Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Polar Bear Go to Quoted Post
Actually I am glad I saw this post. My wife accepted a seasonal job here in our city starting in October. Are you saying all seasonal employees get furloughed to unemployment? We had thought she'd just have to find a second job.


Most states require you to certify that you are actively looking for work in order to collect unemployment, so that may be a question of ethics.


I'll clarify. I did not think she would be eligible for unemployment. I did not realize it was like that for seasonal jobs. I work for another agency and was unfamiliar with IRS stuff.
Papoose79  
#11 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2020 6:58:06 AM(UTC)
Papoose79

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/4/2014(UTC)
Posts: 257
Woman
United States

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: teeeeej Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Papoose79 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: teeeeej Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: gardenia Go to Quoted Post
You can choose to convert to seasonal if your job has seasonals. For example there are seasonal call site employees but I have never heard of a seasonal RO. You can’t choose to go back to perm- you would have to go through the perm process like any other seasonal. Go to your union.


I thought it's seasonals are permanent? What's the downside of going seasonal? I mean, assuming you can afford to take part of the year off.


Seasonals are Permanent and work at least 6 to 8 months, vs. a non seasonal working 12 months out the year. They furlough Seasonals and you collect unemployment till you're called back to work.


Are you basically on LWOP the portion of the year that you aren't working? Do they have to back-collect the unpaid months of FEHB from your paycheck when you start up again? How does the time off affect your FERS ?


LWOP is a totally different category than furlough but both are non pay statuses. Yes you do pay back the missing weeks of insurance if you don't pay it while on leave. As far as FERS goes I am not sure since it's based on EOD and/or SCD. However it can slow down you from getting your next GS grade if you're off past 30 days. I am furloughed right now but I think it has more to do with them not training me because there is a steady flow at the TAC. My 1st furlough was in 2016 for 6 weeks but I had moved to another POD in a different state so none of that time counted against me.
Papoose79  
#12 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2020 6:59:14 AM(UTC)
Papoose79

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/4/2014(UTC)
Posts: 257
Woman
United States

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: teeeeej Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Polar Bear Go to Quoted Post
Actually I am glad I saw this post. My wife accepted a seasonal job here in our city starting in October. Are you saying all seasonal employees get furloughed to unemployment? We had thought she'd just have to find a second job.


Most states require you to certify that you are actively looking for work in order to collect unemployment, so that may be a question of ethics.


They handle Federal Employees different than regular EDD.
Papoose79  
#13 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2020 7:03:43 AM(UTC)
Papoose79

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/4/2014(UTC)
Posts: 257
Woman
United States

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Polar Bear Go to Quoted Post
Actually I am glad I saw this post. My wife accepted a seasonal job here in our city starting in October. Are you saying all seasonal employees get furloughed to unemployment? We had thought she'd just have to find a second job.


She will not have to find a second job if you 2 decides it's ok for her to receive unemployment. Again Federal Seasonal workers are handled by a different EDD standard because we do return (usually after Thanksgiving). We are still counted just as the regular permanent people. It use to be seasonals were counted like temp workers but per the contract and as of 2015 that changed.
Papoose79  
#14 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2020 7:09:30 AM(UTC)
Papoose79

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 11/4/2014(UTC)
Posts: 257
Woman
United States

Thanks: 5 times
Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 28 post(s)
I would like to add, a lot of people like being seasonal because it's like being a teacher; you get to travel freely during that time. Me personally I don't like it because I am a single parent so it would be damaging to my household; however I took this job as a way to get back in after leaving for another agency. If you're in a household that can be sustained without you needing to work then this is awesome for you.
teeeeej  
#15 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2020 10:56:50 AM(UTC)
teeeeej

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/22/2013(UTC)
Posts: 438

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Papoose79 Go to Quoted Post
I would like to add, a lot of people like being seasonal because it's like being a teacher; you get to travel freely during that time. Me personally I don't like it because I am a single parent so it would be damaging to my household; however I took this job as a way to get back in after leaving for another agency. If you're in a household that can be sustained without you needing to work then this is awesome for you.


That's exactly why it appeals to me. After I work full time for a few years and get my "High 3" where I want it to be, I could totally see myself sacrificing pay to have more time off, but I'm single and expect to remain so.
teeeeej  
#16 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2020 10:59:44 AM(UTC)
teeeeej

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/22/2013(UTC)
Posts: 438

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Papoose79 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: teeeeej Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Papoose79 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: teeeeej Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: gardenia Go to Quoted Post
You can choose to convert to seasonal if your job has seasonals. For example there are seasonal call site employees but I have never heard of a seasonal RO. You can’t choose to go back to perm- you would have to go through the perm process like any other seasonal. Go to your union.


I thought it's seasonals are permanent? What's the downside of going seasonal? I mean, assuming you can afford to take part of the year off.


Seasonals are Permanent and work at least 6 to 8 months, vs. a non seasonal working 12 months out the year. They furlough Seasonals and you collect unemployment till you're called back to work.


Are you basically on LWOP the portion of the year that you aren't working? Do they have to back-collect the unpaid months of FEHB from your paycheck when you start up again? How does the time off affect your FERS ?


LWOP is a totally different category than furlough but both are non pay statuses. Yes you do pay back the missing weeks of insurance if you don't pay it while on leave. As far as FERS goes I am not sure since it's based on EOD and/or SCD. However it can slow down you from getting your next GS grade if you're off past 30 days. I am furloughed right now but I think it has more to do with them not training me because there is a steady flow at the TAC. My 1st furlough was in 2016 for 6 weeks but I had moved to another POD in a different state so none of that time counted against me.


What do you mean when you say pay for insurance while on leave? Usually it gets deducted from wages....there's an option to pay for it a different way? You would lose the tax benefits from payroll deduction though, right?
Polar Bear  
#17 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2020 11:08:53 AM(UTC)
Polar Bear

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/24/2018(UTC)
Posts: 217
United States
Location: MO

Thanks: 40 times
Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
When my wife starts, I'm going to have her max out her tsp. She's on my insurance already, and I see no reason for both of us to have separate health. Any of you have a similar situation where you and your significant other/spouse are both in the government and one of you does the seasonal stuff? Any tips?
teeeeej  
#18 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2020 11:59:43 AM(UTC)
teeeeej

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/22/2013(UTC)
Posts: 438

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Polar Bear Go to Quoted Post
When my wife starts, I'm going to have her max out her tsp. She's on my insurance already, and I see no reason for both of us to have separate health. Any of you have a similar situation where you and your significant other/spouse are both in the government and one of you does the seasonal stuff? Any tips?


Do you already have FEHB yourself? You'd have to run the numbers on the premiums to determine if it's beneficial to have two self only plans vs a Self+One or Family.
Hired 2015  
#19 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2020 12:15:25 PM(UTC)
Hired 2015

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 5/17/2016(UTC)
Posts: 272

Thanks: 24 times
Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 27 post(s)
I've been a seasonal for 5 years. There was only one time I was furloughed and got unemployment. Newcomers need to build their skills, take advantage of training.

Monday is always just around the corner as a seasonal so you have to be realistic that a furlough could happen.
teeeeej  
#20 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2020 12:19:40 PM(UTC)
teeeeej

Rank: Senior Member

Groups: Registered
Joined: 2/22/2013(UTC)
Posts: 438

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hired 2015 Go to Quoted Post
I've been a seasonal for 5 years. There was only one time I was furloughed and got unemployment. Newcomers need to build their skills, take advantage of training.

Monday is always just around the corner as a seasonal so you have to be realistic that a furlough could happen.


So even though you applied to a position that was supposed to be only 6-8 months per year, in reality you worked year round for 4 of the 5 years?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
2 Pages12>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.


This page was generated in 0.775 seconds.