Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Federal Employee

Are you thinking of becoming a federal employee? Or, perhaps you have recently joined the federal workplace. Here is a forum to share experience and ask for insight for those already a member of the largest employer in the USA.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RedBC  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 4, 2020 10:09:02 PM(UTC)
RedBC

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi,

Applied a month ago and received a TO from HR rep without "any interview" by HR or hiring manager. HR rep simply asked are you still interested in the position for GS12-0XXX, starting salary is Y, at Z location? That was it and I said yes. Next, she said finger prints and security clearance info will follow.

Is extending job offers without "any interview" normal, unusual, or what?

Thanks,
RedBC

Edited by user Friday, September 4, 2020 10:10:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

FrankJr  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2020 4:03:03 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 127 time(s) in 117 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RedBC Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Applied a month ago and received a TO from HR rep without "any interview" by HR or hiring manager. HR rep simply asked are you still interested in the position for GS12-0XXX, starting salary is Y, at Z location? That was it and I said yes. Next, she said finger prints and security clearance info will follow.

Thanks,
RedBC

It depends. I think of the interview as an opportunity for the employer to evaluate the employee AND the employee to evaluate the employer. Regardless, the IRS forum is endless postings of tentative offers without interviews. The tentative offer is just that, tentative. The fingerprints are a 5 day to 5 month process. The clearance is a 1 month to 24 month process.

Tentative offers are not verbal. Unless you responded to a written tentative offer you haven't received a tentative offer.
someoldguy  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2020 4:14:51 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Was thanked: 945 time(s) in 794 post(s)
I've heard of offers without an interview for GS-7 and below but not for a 12. But FrankJr says this happens a lot with IRS... is this for one of their seasonal jobs?
DISCLAIMER: You read it on an open internet forum :)
DaVinci95  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2020 4:19:42 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 86 post(s)
I’ve gotten GS-12, GS-13, and GS-14 jobs without interviews. I wouldn’t say it’s normal, but it’s not unheard of.
RedBC  
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2020 6:26:30 AM(UTC)
RedBC

United States

Thank you, all,

Frank, would responding yes to HR rep's email saying, "Hi Mr. X, I've been trying to reach you by phone to extend a TO for GS-0XXX-12 at Y location" count. Sounds like the call was more to gauge "genuine interest" before writing a hard copy TO letter.

SOG, it's not seasonal, I have not applied to any, but it's good to know it happens.

Davinci, especially helpful, knowing it happens at 12-14 levels, although rarely. The field I am in is in demand across numerous government agencies.

Much appreciation,
RBC
GSBS  
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2020 9:10:55 PM(UTC)
GSBS

Was thanked: 330 time(s) in 286 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FrankJr Go to Quoted Post

Tentative offers are not verbal. Unless you responded to a written tentative offer you haven't received a tentative offer.
I was new to Federal service and at my agency it was a real imposition asking for a written offer before I made a 3800-mile drive. I simply told them I wouldn't come unless they sent a written offer by the time I was to depart. The lady said "what, you don't trust me"? No further communication was required. Given a conditional security clearance with the security interview to follow 3 months later. No actual interview for the position, just a few phone calls

Edited by user Sunday, September 6, 2020 1:42:42 AM(UTC)  | Reason: .

someoldguy  
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 6, 2020 2:22:07 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Originally Posted by: GSBS Go to Quoted Post
I simply told them I wouldn't come unless they sent a written offer by the time I was to depart. The lady said "what, you don't trust me"?
In my limited experience, the formal job offer was part of the process. In fact one time while I was waiting for my actual start date the pay scale changed and they issued a new FJO with the new salary.

I guess it varies a lot from one agency to the next.

tranhungdao  
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 6, 2020 8:34:49 AM(UTC)
tranhungdao

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
many agencies have direct hire authority (dha) which expedite the hiring process, and thus many of these positions allow employers to quickly hire employees w/o interviews.

thanks 2 users thanked tranhungdao for this useful post.
GSBS on 9/6/2020(UTC), RedBC on 9/7/2020(UTC)
RedBC  
#9 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2020 3:25:55 AM(UTC)
RedBC

United States

Originally Posted by: tranhungdao Go to Quoted Post
many agencies have direct hire authority (dha) which expedite the hiring process, and thus many of these positions allow employers to quickly hire employees w/o interviews.

And, herein may lay the answer, I qualify for DHAs.

someoldguy  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2020 4:36:33 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

Based on some of the interviews I had for federal jobs, I can't say it added much to the process. I'm not even sure anyone was paying attention to what I was saying since I hardly ever got any reaction or followup to my responses.
RedBC  
#11 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2020 5:02:00 AM(UTC)
RedBC

United States

Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
Based on some of the interviews I had for federal jobs, I can't say it added much to the process. I'm not even sure anyone was paying attention to what I was saying since I hardly ever got any reaction or followup to my responses.

SOG, no argument here. I've gotten the impression that some on my interviews didn't even "know what I was talking about" and they "are supposed" to by way of federal statutes, regs, and other authoritative bodies! It's all very, very, new to the agency/gov't.

Any insights on job postings open for 7 days, only? That is a very tight window. Good reasons likely exist. This one was open for 7 days and I always thought those posting were for someone already in the running. As Hanlon's Razor says, "never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or...".

Thanks,
RB

someoldguy  
#12 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2020 6:59:55 AM(UTC)
someoldguy

I don't think that it necessarily means that some person is already lined up, but I do believe that they know they will get a ton of applications, so they don't feel the need to wait a long time before moving on to the next step.

But given what I've learned about federal HR, there could either be some arcane HR logic behind it, or no logic at all.
thanks 1 user thanked someoldguy for this useful post.
RedBC on 9/7/2020(UTC)
djp  
#13 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2020 1:13:58 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 168 time(s) in 165 post(s)
Hired or offered without interview has happen to me multiple times.

It’s usually by choice in different agencies. Not all of them I got contacted. I saw selected in usajobs but not contacted. Likely due to job tied to a budget expansion or tied to a reorganization that didn’t happen.

In some of thrm I was clearly the best. In another I was clearly the only real applicant. These weren’t remote jobs, but rather people in my field aren’t as common. Retired military usually don’t fit.

Right now I prefer to be talking to someone to find out what the job will be..different than description.

someoldguy  
#14 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2020 3:33:26 PM(UTC)
someoldguy

Originally Posted by: djp Go to Quoted Post
Right now I prefer to be talking to someone to find out what the job will be..different than description.
Good point. The interview works both ways.

FedNole  
#15 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2020 1:56:50 PM(UTC)
FedNole

United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Was this with the Air Force? I had the Air Force offer me a 1301 (Physical Scientist) position without an interview. They just called with the offer. It was the Aqui Demo pay system, though I did not take the position.
djp  
#16 Posted : Thursday, September 24, 2020 8:09:40 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 168 time(s) in 165 post(s)
Originally Posted by: someoldguy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: djp Go to Quoted Post
Good point. The interview works both ways.

A few weeks ago I had an interview.

In talking to them about the job and I found out a few things..

1 the office was created only a year ago which means a lot of bridge building needed and conflict with otherslikrly on you encroaching on their territory.

2 the people I interviewed didn’t seem to have a good grasp on what is needed in this type of work.

3. They didn’t understand what software is needed. You shouldn’t be operating entirely in excel and think sharepoint does the data analysis at a high agency level.

Destiny  
#17 Posted : Thursday, October 8, 2020 9:29:12 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RedBC Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Thanks,
RedBC

It happened to me, the hiring manager just called to see if I was interested, they did check my references though, then I got a call the following week from HR with the offer.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed