Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FedCO1102  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2020 4:35:01 PM(UTC)
FedCO1102

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Beyond my expectations, apparently I've gotten an offer for a supervisor position. Being my first time as one, does anyone have any tips or advice? Apparently it's a team of 15+ with a lot going on. Hoping you all can share any insight you might have into being a federal supervisor.

Thanks!

Mike in VT  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2020 3:23:48 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 79 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FedCO1102 Go to Quoted Post
Beyond my expectations, apparently I've gotten an offer for a supervisor position. Being my first time as one, does anyone have any tips or advice? Apparently it's a team of 15+ with a lot going on. Hoping you all can share any insight you might have into being a federal supervisor.

Thanks!

I have three words for you..."professional liability insurance".

Fifteen is a lot to supervise. Way too much actually. Don't micromanage, let your team do there thing, but stay involved enough to know what's going on so you can properly assess their performance.
frankgonzalez  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2020 4:05:07 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1095 time(s) in 868 post(s)
Go talk to your EEO and ER/LR offices. Ask for feedback on your office. In my office I can give you a several year breakdown of activity (no names, just high level issues, etc). The same with the ER/LR office. This will give an idea of what type of issues may exist or at least what mine fields you are walking into. They can also be the source of help with personnel issues when they crop up, so having a god relationship with both offices is useful.

If you have folks in the bargaining unit, ask the LR Officer to arrange a meeting with the union rep. They can provide you some ideas of issues from the workers' perspective. If there are none, it can provide some good karma with the union because you included them in your decision processes up front.

See if you can see what your FEVS scores for your organization. Give you an idea of the overall picture of the health of the organization.

Have an all-hands to give your folks your philosophy on how you like to manage, your goals, etc.

Walk around, talk to folks. Ask them what they would do differently if they were in charge. Be visible. If your open door policy is your office door does open, it doesn't bode well. Make certain you are accessible AND approachable. If you haven't taken a class like Crucial Conversations or Crucial Accountability, at least get the books (at any good bookseller you like. I like Powell's as a good independent book store: https://www.powells.com/searchre...=crucial%20conversations) Get some training on EQ (Emotional Intelligence) and see how you can improve that (unlike IQ, EQ can be worked on and made better).

Make certain people feel they are heard, and feel the workplace is inclusive. People who feel included feel they can speak up, and a diverse, inclusive work center/team has been shown to be more productive and efficient (if you want the science behind this, PM your email and I'll send it to you).

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Filmbeloh2o  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2020 7:07:08 AM(UTC)
Filmbeloh2o

Man
United States

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Thanks!

Congrats! What's the new job?
djp  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2020 4:28:20 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 168 time(s) in 165 post(s)
15 can be a lot but it depends on its structure.

Previous jobs I was in ( not supervisory) were structured with team leads who generally acted as a supervisor in terms of tasks assigned and day to day management. Then the supervisor generally communicated with team leads
FedCO1102  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2020 6:25:49 PM(UTC)
FedCO1102

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: djp Go to Quoted Post
15 can be a lot but it depends on its structure.

Previous jobs I was in ( not supervisory) were structured with team leads who generally acted as a supervisor in terms of tasks assigned and day to day management. Then the supervisor generally communicated with team leads

I'll be having two team leads thankfully to take a lot of the burden off.

Decadence  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2020 12:41:00 AM(UTC)
Decadence

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

I'll be having two team leads thankfully to take a lot of the burden off.

I'm right there with you. First supervisory position for me as well. Team isn't quite as large as yours, but only 1 team lead. Let me know if you want to bounce ideas off of each other or get in touch. Cheers and best wishes to you in your new adventure!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed