Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
faleoo  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2020 9:22:11 AM(UTC)
faleoo

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Hello

I would like some advice in a potential career move. I am FTE with the CDC, but would prefer to work in a particular office at State. That DoS office MAY have a position open soon. The hiring manager likes me and wants for me to be on the team. I could wait for that position that MAY open, or I could take a contractor position in her office now. A contracting position in her office would also help my chances of converting to FTE at DoS, assuming that position actually does open sometime soon. My wife is also a Fed, so we could keep benefits through her. Would anyone leave their Fed position for a contracting position in another agency in hopes of being a FTE in that agency? Why or Why not? Any experiences from a similar career move?

Thanks
faleoo  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2020 9:26:08 AM(UTC)
faleoo

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I'll quickly add that I don't hate it at my current position. It's fine. I just think I would enjoy the work more in the office at State, and would prefer to be working there for the long-run. I'm an international affairs guy, not public health.

Thanks!
djp  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2020 4:22:19 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 168 time(s) in 165 post(s)
Your career..your choice. There isn’t an advantage as a contractor. THere are some rules on contractor fed flipping. If this person said this job would open, why not wait
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
faleoo on 9/10/2020(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed