Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
weedkill3  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2020 9:55:42 AM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello, going to DCAA. They want a two year probation.

Can i get that reduced.

According to this website:

https://www.defense.gov/...ire-probationary-period/

"-- An employee transferring from another agency who has already completed a probationary period under an initial appointment in the competitive service, having attained full appeal rights to the Merit Systems Protection Board, does not have to serve another probationary period under this authority. "

Now, I started with IRS in competitive service , served my one year probationary period and should have full MSPB rights. I was there for six/seven years.

I then did a transfer to USDA as competitive service ( I forgot if I had to do a probation period or not). I worked there for a year and then voluntarily resigned.

Six months later I got a two or less CORE position at FEMA. Full benefits, this job was excepted service. I left FEMA.

After a year DCAA sent me offer letter w/two year probation.

Can I get that reduced since I already did one and have full appeal rights.

Thank you.
djp  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2020 4:18:06 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 168 time(s) in 165 post(s)
Theoretically any new job can put you on a probation period. It’s usually one year but they don’t have to do that if you applied under a currrnt fed. You applied under citizens you could end up stuck with it.
frankgonzalez  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2020 3:11:20 AM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1095 time(s) in 868 post(s)
Originally Posted by: weedkill3 Go to Quoted Post
Hello, going to DCAA. They want a two year probation.

Can i get that reduced.

According to this website:

https://www.defense.gov/...ire-probationary-period/

"-- An employee transferring from another agency who has already completed a probationary period under an initial appointment in the competitive service, having attained full appeal rights to the Merit Systems Protection Board, does not have to serve another probationary period under this authority. "

Now, I started with IRS in competitive service , served my one year probationary period and should have full MSPB rights. I was there for six/seven years.

I then did a transfer to USDA as competitive service ( I forgot if I had to do a probation period or not). I worked there for a year and then voluntarily resigned.

Six months later I got a two or less CORE position at FEMA. Full benefits, this job was excepted service. I left FEMA.

After a year DCAA sent me offer letter w/two year probation.

Can I get that reduced since I already did one and have full appeal rights.

Thank you.
Key word is transferring. You were not a current federal employee when hired, therefore that doesn't apply.

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
Polar Bear  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2020 10:11:37 AM(UTC)
Polar Bear

United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
what appointment authority is the new position? That kind of controls all of this.
weedkill3  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2020 10:53:07 AM(UTC)

Polar Bear  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2020 11:41:26 AM(UTC)
Polar Bear

United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Sorry, as mentioned above, you're not transferring from one agency to another. You have a break in service, I guess you can try, but there are no regs to support your case.

Crediting prior service is here, and is an extension of the plain word language the agency posted. https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/5/315.802

(b) Prior Federal civilian service (including nonappropriated fund service) counts toward completion of probation when the prior service:

(1) Is in the same agency, e.g., Department of the Army;

(2) Is in the same line of work (determined by the employee's actual duties and responsibilities); and

(3) Contains or is followed by no more than a single break in service that does not exceed 30 calendar days.
smithandjones  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2020 5:24:00 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
This stuff gets convoluted but you have to ask. I think since you had a previous 3+ year stint in the competitive service you have reinstatement rights. I would suggest, among other things, that they should hire you under the reinstatement authority and then the probationary period would be waived.
FS0201  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2020 5:27:33 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 295 time(s) in 259 post(s)
There isn’t much reason to be concerned about the probationary period. Very few probationers are terminated. If interested in the job take you should take it and work hard.

Edited by user Wednesday, September 9, 2020 5:51:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
smithandjones  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2020 5:56:36 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FS0201 Go to Quoted Post
There isn’t much reason to be concerned about the probationary people.

It is about risks. In today’s government environment people would be foolish to disregard the risks of a reduction in force. And anyone on probation is the first to go with no rights in that situation. That is enough for me to at least ask or make sure things are done properly. Add that to the risk your supervisor turns out to be a psycho - or your supervisor retires and is replaced by a psycho. I see no harm in asking to make sure the requirement is applied appropriately. My current position in excepted service I had to point out my probation should only be 1 year due to veterans status. They initially sought a 2 year probation. Is it a big deal? Maybe not, but my probation is over now - if it had been 2 years I’d still have 6 months left.
weedkill3  
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2020 1:28:01 PM(UTC)

Update:

So yes, you guys are right...HR contacted me.

B/C I had a 30 day greater break period I still have to do the two year probation. But unlike, new employees, I still have full appeals rights as a tenured employee... so hopefully that still helps.
thanks 1 user thanked for this useful post.
Polar Bear on 9/10/2020(UTC)
Rss Feed  Atom Feed