Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

General Conversations

Within this forum, you can:

• share experiences as a federal employee
  • ask for some general help from fellow federal employees
  • offer helpful advice
  • make this world a better place (doesn't hurt to try)

Please keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to "step up on a soap box." Let's keep things clean, polite and useful. Thanks for your cooperation.

To read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues visit FederalDaily.com

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Matrix  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2020 4:38:32 AM(UTC)
Matrix

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
So I'm a GS-13 working at home.

I haven't been to the office in 6 months, and quite frankly, and I absolutely LOVE working at home. I used to do 3 days at home prior to COVID, so there was no hard transition. I absolutely have no reason to be in the office. I also have a decked out personal home office. Several 32" monitors, speakers, $1500 chair, executive desk, docking station, etc. At work I have one 17" monitor and a $30 chair in a cubicle. In my building, only GS-15's get offices typically.

Do you think it would be unacceptable, when things start resuming, to ask for full-time as a negotiating tactic?
MovinUp  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 26, 2020 10:22:03 AM(UTC)
MovinUp

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
It could be limited by management per union collective bargaining agreement and your position classification, but I would try. We are limited to one day/payperiod. Not worth it to deck out the office, even though I can be much more productive at home. Right now I'm working with borrowed equipment.
postalvet  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 26, 2020 12:05:56 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Matrix Go to Quoted Post

I haven't been to the office in 6 months, and quite frankly, and I absolutely LOVE working at home. I used to do 3 days at home prior to COVID, so there was no hard transition. I absolutely have no reason to be in the office. I also have a decked out personal home office. Several 32" monitors, speakers, $1500 chair, executive desk, docking station, etc. At work I have one 17" monitor and a $30 chair in a cubicle. In my building, only GS-15's get offices typically.

Do you think it would be unacceptable, when things start resuming, to ask for full-time as a negotiating tactic?

I believe we will see a new kind of work force going forward where many work from home.

what is the worse they can say.
FatHappyCat  
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 27, 2020 6:03:18 AM(UTC)
FatHappyCat

Was thanked: 146 time(s) in 128 post(s)

I think you can ask but I'm not certain how you can negotiate for it. Negotiating implies a give and take from both sides; for example, you negotiate a salary for the offer of your services. Here, you're already an employee, what would you be able to 'offer' for this benefit?
FrankJr  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2020 4:45:00 AM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 131 time(s) in 121 post(s)

The better term is "telework" not "work from home". I teleworked while traveling Asia and the office was in the middle of the USA. Regardless, as noted the tele environment is much more conducive to work. The federal government isn't known for conducive work environments. The reason to be in the office is the face-to-face interaction with other people resulting in relationships with other people. For individuals with years of tenure the relationships are well developed for the current co-workers but not so much so for the future employees. The best of both worlds is some meetings in person and some meetings not in person. The new employees are at a huge disadvantage without the opportunity to meet and greet. Not everyone works well in a telework scenario so both options need to continue in one form or another.

Personally I teleworked for over a decade without an office; but I did interact with both peers and customers face-to-face on a daily or weekly basis. As a rule, I completed a full days work via telework prior to the co-workers completing breakfast at the office.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed