Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Department of Defense

The Department of Defense (DoD) is charged with coordinating and supervising all agencies and functions of the government relating directly to national security and the United States armed forces. The mission of the Department of Defense is to provide the military forces needed to deter war and to protect the security of our country.

The Department of Defense is America's oldest and largest government agency -tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times. Today, the Department is not only in charge of the military, but it also employs a civilian force of thousands. With over 1.4 million men and women on active duty, and 718,000 civilian personnel, DoD is the nation's largest employer. Another 1.1 million serve in the National Guard and Reserve forces. More than 2 million military retirees and their family members receive benefits.

Perhaps you are working for the DoD or interested in working for the DoD. Here is a forum to share your experience with the DoD.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dan321  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2020 10:31:09 AM(UTC)
dan321

Groups: Registered

So I live on the west coast but want my Home of Record to be in Florida so that I get returned to Florida. My offer is for South Korea. Can I tell them my home of record and give them an address or are they going to go by where my belongings ship from? I can set up residence at Florida at my brothers house if I need to.

Thanks
FS0201  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2020 12:55:15 PM(UTC)
FS0201

Was thanked: 296 time(s) in 260 post(s)
Originally Posted by: dan321 Go to Quoted Post
So I live on the west coast but want my Home of Record to be in Florida so that I get returned to Florida. My offer is for South Korea. Can I tell them my home of record and give them an address or are they going to go by where my belongings ship from? I can set up residence at Florida at my brothers house if I need to.

Thanks

I starting writing out the reasons that this wouldn’t work or was a bad idea but figured it was a waste of time. You live on the west coast; don’t try to scam return orders for another region.
The excuse of, "I read it on FederalSoup..." won't work. Please do your due diligence.
nembamike  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2020 4:56:17 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 220 time(s) in 199 post(s)
Agree with previous post.
JDSIII  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 30, 2020 6:16:21 AM(UTC)
JDSIII

Man
United States

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 39 post(s)
That is the farthest that the Gov't will ship your household goods back to(west coast). If you want to return to Florida your best bet would be to find a find a position there before the end of your Korean tour.
LilBits  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 2, 2020 3:55:45 PM(UTC)
LilBits

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Also I don’t know if you realize this, you will continue to pay California state income tax! If you don’t CA will come knocking at your door for payment. If you want to change your state of residence you will need to do it legally.
BrightEyes  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 3, 2020 3:47:05 AM(UTC)
BrightEyes

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I did recently learn that my agency will priority place you into a region of your choice if you do a "remote tour." I know there are remote tour locations in Korea. So one option, if it's available to you, is to try to get priority placed into a position in the location you want when you are ready to PCS back. Best of luck to you.
2close2call  
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 11, 2020 6:49:56 AM(UTC)
2close2call

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Now, California does have a safe harbor that you might fall under as far as taxes. Whereas, if you are going overseas for 546 consecutive days whereas you don’t have to pay state taxes. That might be your best bet for now as far as state taxes.
FatHappyCat  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 12, 2020 12:13:21 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 131 time(s) in 112 post(s)
Originally Posted by: BrightEyes Go to Quoted Post
I did recently learn that my agency will priority place you into a region of your choice if you do a "remote tour." I know there are remote tour locations in Korea. So one option, if it's available to you, is to try to get priority placed into a position in the location you want when you are ready to PCS back. Best of luck to you.

In general PPP, is the absolute last priority that anyone should exercise. So as the OP is trying to get to Florida, that is region 2 on the PPP map. While there are multiple locations they may end up in Florida, region 2 extends up to North Carolina and as far west as New Mexico. That basically means they can be anywhere in between including some rather unsavory places; JRTC, Sill, Gulfport, White Sands, all come to mind. Better to find your own way back than to play lotto with the system.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed