Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
annebolin  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 10, 2020 6:17:09 PM(UTC)
annebolin

Groups: Registered
United States

Hoping this is the correct group, and will just keep it short and sweet, as my local HR and OPM have yet to get back to me, and it's been months.

Employed DoD, state of Virginia:

--Started 1st fed position SEP 2018, GS-7, non-supv - 2 year probation.
--Promoted MARCH 2020, GS-8, Supervisory, same place and location, different job series - additional year probation.

Questions:

-- Do I have to wait until I am completely off probation in order to apply on other fed jobs?
-- If no, does it have to be in the same series?
-- Is grade a factor in applying for other fed jobs?
-- Is department a factor in applying for other fed jobs?

FYI: I have my Master's degree, so I do qualify for 9s, in my current job series.

Thank you very much for any info you can provide regarding my inquiry. If any additional information is needed, please feel free to post and I will provide.
Thanks!
FrankJr  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 10, 2020 6:40:32 PM(UTC)
FrankJr

United States

Was thanked: 127 time(s) in 117 post(s)
Originally Posted by: annebolin Go to Quoted Post
Hoping this is the correct group, and will just keep it short and sweet, as my local HR and OPM have yet to get back to me, and it's been months.

Employed DoD, state of Virginia:

--Started 1st fed position SEP 2018, GS-7, non-supv - 2 year probation.
--Promoted MARCH 2020, GS-8, Supervisory, same place and location, different job series - additional year probation.

Questions:

-- Do I have to wait until I am completely off probation in order to apply on other fed jobs?
-- If no, does it have to be in the same series?
-- Is grade a factor in applying for other fed jobs?
-- Is department a factor in applying for other fed jobs?

FYI: I have my Master's degree, so I do qualify for 9s, in my current job series.

Thank you very much for any info you can provide regarding my inquiry. If any additional information is needed, please feel free to post and I will provide.
Thanks!

OPM web site,

Supervisory Performance During Probation
A new supervisor is given a 1-year probationary period to demonstrate successful performance as a supervisor. At the end of the probationary period, the agency determines whether to retain that employee as a supervisor or to return the employee to a non-supervisory position. The study reports that agencies are not using this probationary period effectively. According to OPM's Central Personnel Data File, only two supervisors in all of Government were removed during their probationary period in fiscal year 1998. The probationary period does not appear to weed out those supervisors who are not performing well as supervisors. Agencies need to monitor the performance of their probationary supervisors; provide them training, coaching, and feedback; and take action to improve performance or to return poor performing supervisors to non-supervisory positions.

...difference between probation and supervisory probation. Google is your friend... not HR or OPM. The term "promoted" isn't a common term in the federal government. People apply for jobs and are selected for job; people are not promoted.
DaVinci95  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 11, 2020 5:35:35 AM(UTC)
DaVinci95

United States

Was thanked: 92 time(s) in 86 post(s)
No, you don’t have to complete your probation before applying to other jobs.
Grade can be a factor if you are applying for merit promotion jobs, which require 1 year of experience at the next lower grade. If you’re applying for 9s, your time as a 7 should qualify you. If you’re applying for a 10, then you wouldn’t qualify.
Department is only a qualifying factor if you are applying to a position that is limited to applicants already in the department. But it can be something that they selecting official considers if you’re applying for an internal job.
annebolin  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 11, 2020 5:05:45 PM(UTC)
annebolin

United States

DaVinci95, Thank you very much! This is just the information I was looking for.

Just a quick reply, Frank Jr, the term "promotion" was used verbally by my supervisor as it was an in-house upgrade. Apologies if I was using incorrect language with your forum.

Best, and regards!
Rss Feed  Atom Feed