Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Federal Career Planning and Development

Are you looking to get promoted?
Maybe a change in your federal career?
Need tips on resume writing to land a federal job?
Or how to increase your salary or get a pay raise?

Join this active discussion with others climbing the same challenging career ladder.

Consider ordering some helpful resources or read today's top news stories on federal employee pay, benefits, retirement, job rights and other workplace issues by visiting FederalDaily.com.

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Robertee  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 17, 2020 7:05:34 AM(UTC)
Robertee

Groups: Registered

I was hired as a title 5 VA employee 8 years ago. Over the years, I completed another degree and can be converted (same work duties) to a Hybrid 38. Is there any benefit to change from title 5 to a hybrid 38?
nembamike  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2020 4:40:51 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 220 time(s) in 199 post(s)
Did you check with your HR?
BOPDentist  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2020 7:09:21 AM(UTC)
BOPDentist

United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I believe under title 38, generally, market pay supplement replaces any kind of incentives (retention, contracts, etc.); so that the total of base pay, locality adjustment and the market pay counts as "annual" pay for "adjusted basic pay for retirement purposes".
So that is the advantage.
And the GS designation changes to GP.

The title 38 pay is r-evaluated every 2 yrs and may go up and down based on accomplishments and market pay factors.
old fed  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2020 9:20:28 AM(UTC)
old fed

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Originally Posted by: BOPDentist Go to Quoted Post
I believe under title 38, generally, market pay supplement replaces any kind of incentives (retention, contracts, etc.); so that the total of base pay, locality adjustment and the market pay counts as "annual" pay for "adjusted basic pay for retirement purposes".

The title 38 pay is r-evaluated every 2 yrs and may go up and down based on accomplishments and market pay factors.

hybrid 38 is different from 38. a lot of the title 5 provisions remain, such as GS remaining GS and pay setting, etc. some 38 provisions are incorporated such as step increases for accomplishments. leave calculations do not change.
thanks 1 user thanked old fed for this useful post.
BOPDentist on 10/19/2020(UTC)
frankgonzalez  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2020 12:33:53 PM(UTC)
frankgonzalez

Was thanked: 1097 time(s) in 870 post(s)
Originally Posted by: old fed Go to Quoted Post

hybrid 38 is different from 38. a lot of the title 5 provisions remain, such as GS remaining GS and pay setting, etc. some 38 provisions are incorporated such as step increases for accomplishments. leave calculations do not change.
The things I would also consider are the cons for switching. ie Do you retain all your Title 5 protections in a Hybrid-38 position?

You should have voted Cthulu...the greatest of all Evils
old fed  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2020 1:04:57 PM(UTC)
old fed

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Originally Posted by: frankgonzalez Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: old fed Go to Quoted Post

The things I would also consider are the cons for switching. ie Do you retain all your Title 5 protections in a Hybrid-38 position?

I remember when we were converted (one of the first series to be converted years ago) part-time folks were given the option to change. I don't know if this is still true or not but it was in conjunction with a discussion that some title 5 protections would be lost. I can't remember what they were or if they even still hold but it is certainly worth looking into.

Edited by user Monday, October 19, 2020 1:05:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rss Feed  Atom Feed